PDA

View Full Version : Big News From BFG Technologies & AGEIA

Pages : [1] 2

overheat
09-01-05, 10:07 AM
BFG PhysX card!

BFG Technologies has just announced that they are entering into a retail distribution agreement with AGEIA Technologies to produce stand-alone PCI cards with the AGEIA PhysX processor and 128MB of local memory, which is used for storing and processing physics data during game play. Products will be available at the end of this year. Pricing and other product details will be announced at that time.

September 01, 2005 – AGEIA™ Technologies, Inc., the pioneer in hardware-accelerated physics for games and BFG Technologies®, Inc., a leading U.S.-based supplier of advanced 3D graphics cards and other PC enthusiast products, announced today that they have entered into a retail distribution agreement. Under the contract, BFG Technologies will manufacture, sell, market and distribute personal computer add-in cards powered by the AGEIA PhysX™ processor to retail, e-tail and distributors in the United States, Canada and the European Union member states.

AGEIA’s PhysX chip defines an entirely new category of processor: the physics processing unit that, when coupled with the PhysX SDK, provides cost-effective hardware acceleration of physical interactions within a game environment, such as fluid dynamics and rigid body dynamics. The result will re-ignite the enthusiasm of gamers and game creators alike, and has the potential to propel physics technology into unexplored new markets.

“There is no doubt that the next evolution of PC gaming hardware will include technologies that dramatically improve realistic motion and physics in the game environment,” said Scott Herkelman, executive vice president of marketing for BFG Technologies. “We are proud that AGEIA has chosen BFG Technologies to be one of the driving forces for getting their ground-breaking new PhysX processor into consumer’s hands.”

“BFG Technologies brings to the table an in-depth understanding of the channel as well as extensive knowledge about what makes gamers tick,” said Manju Hegde, CEO and chairman of AGEIA. “BFG Technologies is trusted by game players and PC enthusiasts, thereby making them poised to bring the PhysX processor to market.”

http://www.hardocp.com/index.html

jAkUp
09-01-05, 10:09 AM
OMG nice! I would love a BFG physx card!

overheat
09-01-05, 10:11 AM
Yeah me too
Im only missing that for my pc and a x-fi fatality sound card ( wonder when they are going to release it in canada) :D

Clay
09-01-05, 10:22 AM
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-01-2005/0004098343&EDATE=

overheat
09-01-05, 10:26 AM
only PCI?

superklye
09-01-05, 10:26 AM
Sweet...so is it going to be OCed out of the box? :D

zoomy942
09-01-05, 10:28 AM
pass

GlowStick
09-01-05, 10:46 AM
Hm sounds intresting, ill still want a 'must have' game out before i buy though.

Clay
09-01-05, 10:50 AM
only PCI?PCIe would be overkill at this point in time.The image of this card shows both PCI and PCI Express support on the same card, though we are told by AGEIA that this won't be a retail feature but it is included on the developer cards for their testing purposes only. The first release of the PPU cards are going to be in PCI form with PCI Express versions coming in 2006 when the additional bandwidth or demand requires.
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=140

GlowStick
09-01-05, 11:16 AM
PCIe would be overkill at this point in time.
Hmm, really depends. I think latency is going to be a bigger issue over bandwith, and i belive pci express 'should' give better latency. JC pritty much stated that at QuakeCon, he said it wont work because it cant get the data to the card and back fast enough. However i guess time will tell.

Clay
09-01-05, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I just trust that Aegis knows more about it than I do. :)

Mr_LoL
09-01-05, 11:39 AM
So is your cpu virtually redundant then?
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=140
According to that website, it consumes 20 watts and still needs a molex connector

loafer87gt
09-01-05, 12:25 PM
Wonder if it will have overheating problems and ****ty HeatSink design as well....

anzak
09-01-05, 12:44 PM
I'm going to wait for the PCIe version. I only have one PCI slot left and its located right under my graphics card. Hopefully by early 2006 there will be games that support it and it will be worth buying.

Omega53
09-01-05, 12:52 PM
Shoot, Everything in a pc will soon have its own memory...

Pinnacle
09-01-05, 02:41 PM
Absolutely AWSOME!!

maybe one day I can RMA my BFG Ultra and get a physX 8000 Ultra ;)

Gorion
09-01-05, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately there won't be any benefit until game programs are written to use it. Any rumors on games coming out that will take advantage?

JamesDax
09-01-05, 02:51 PM
BET on solders: Blood Sport, UT 2007, Metathrone Project, KARMA( sequel to Omikron: The Nomad Soul) off the top of my head. I'm sure there will be others.

Clay
09-01-05, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately there won't be any benefit until game programs are written to use it. Any rumors on games coming out that will take advantage?A number of developers have announced support for it in their upcoming games. Tim Sweeney is behind it of course with the Unreal Engine development which will have a huge waterfall effect for many more games based on it. The next Rise of Nations will support it.

More here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=ageia+physx+support&btnG=Search

mrzeld
09-01-05, 03:07 PM
anyone want to guesstimate a ball-park price on this? $100, $200, $300?? i would think at the most it would be $149.

just saw the x-fi in BB for $129. hmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

JamesDax
09-01-05, 03:09 PM
Anyone else besides BFG and Asus making boards for this chip??

BrianG
09-01-05, 03:50 PM
And here I am with a second core just waiting to be fully utilized by a game...

I have a feeling the time it takes to get games updated to run with the Physics card, the time it takes to get them to market, the time it takes to work through the bugs, CPUs will be able to handle those calculations with out congesting the PCI bus.

SH64
09-01-05, 03:54 PM
Good news indeed!

also i have a question : will dual core CPUs make any difference in PPU supported games vs single core ??

or in other words .. for gaming do i need a dual core CPU if i already have a PPU card ? will it make much difference ?

saweetnesstrev
09-01-05, 04:07 PM
More things to milk the money outta you...

SH64
09-01-05, 04:13 PM
Hmm dont know if you guys noticed this or not :
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1855078,00.asp

Although the PhysX libraries accelerate a host of technologies, from physical object interactions to fluid-based particle effects like water and smoke, only the PlayStation 3 and a PhysX PC will have the horsepower to process all of the technology's features, Ageia executives said. The Xbox 360 will not be able to process the fluid-based technology, because of the limitations of its architecture.

looks like the 360 wont be able to utilize the full potential of the PhysX processor.