PDA

View Full Version : Amd challenges Intel to a processor fight.

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_LoL
09-01-05, 11:54 AM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~100656,00.html

I would laugh my head off if Intel won.

HighTest
09-02-05, 11:12 PM
Unlikely as the stipulations of the challenge is in terms of existing and shipping processors. We've already see the benchies, so this is an easy challenge.

Most likely Intel will ignore it as it'll be the best possible method for them to deal with it, even though AMD will show that as a default.

Rakeesh
09-02-05, 11:27 PM
Well, given that AMD is and has been at the forefront of CPU design for some time, I wouldn't be surprised if intel can't match em.

t3hl33td4rg0n
09-03-05, 12:27 AM
Maybe this will convince major computer manufacturers (dell) that intel sucks compared to AMD - and those intel fanboys who think MHz mean everything hehe. But this is a good marketing idea for AMD to get some real publicity and start a foreground for showing the public who the real leader in CPU performance is, mainly b/c I see too many PC n00bs out there think they have the best b/c its "intel inside".

anzak
09-03-05, 12:49 AM
Maybe this will convince major computer manufacturers (dell) that intel sucks compared to AMD - and those intel fanboys who think MHz mean everything hehe. But this is a good marketing idea for AMD to get some real publicity and start a foreground for showing the public who the real leader in CPU performance is, mainly b/c I see too many PC n00bs out there think they have the best b/c its "intel inside".

But intel wouldn't go into a fight with the stakes as high as this one without thinking they had a chance. I don't think Intel will accept.

This is one for the record books though. A processor dual. :P

brady
09-03-05, 06:57 AM

I also don't think that intel will take the bait. I do think this is pure marketing genius the likes of which the world has never seen. We all know that if intel does show up they would be bested, AND if intel ignores it, then it's a clear sign to consumers that they know they don't have the better product. Therefore, AMD has what Steven Covey likes to call "a Win-Win" situation. Although, with Mr. Covey the "Win-Win" usually is born out of synergizing with your opponent, competition, customer, ect. AMD is winning by walking up to Intel in the school cafeteria, and with everyone watching, suddenly backhanding them right in the face and laying them flat on the ground. Good job AMD, give it to em!

j0j081
09-03-05, 10:38 AM
This is good for AMD but at the same time Intel might play it off as showing AMD's immaturity in wanting a competition.

jAkUp
09-03-05, 11:51 AM
What if Intel bring out their Pentium M??!!

EDIT:
Nevermind, it says commercially in volume :p

anzak
09-03-05, 11:54 AM
What if Intel bring out their Pentium M??!!

EDIT:
Nevermind, it says commercially in volume :p

Besides, its a dual duel. The Pentium M is great, but it can't match a dual core processor in multi-threaded apps.

www.amd.com/duel

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13189&stc=1

$n][pErMan
09-03-05, 02:52 PM
This is good for AMD but at the same time Intel might play it off as showing AMD's immaturity in wanting a competition.
Id hardly call it immaturity... its called a free market and calling out your opposition as not keeping up ;) Go AMD! :D

jAkUp
09-03-05, 03:00 PM
Yea, intel would never enter. They would get destroyed publically. I'm sure they know it also... hehe

aAv7
09-03-05, 06:16 PM
I love amd cpu's and all. But doing this is....eh....when you start showing off or getting over confident, you end up taking one in the face....eventually....

I don't see Intel down forever, it's alot like ati/nvidia. Each strongholds the market for so long and then slips up and the other takes its place, etc.

$n][pErMan
09-03-05, 06:19 PM
I love amd cpu's and all. But doing this is....eh....when you start showing off or getting over confident, you end up taking one in the face....eventually....

I don't see Intel down forever, it's alot like ati/nvidia. Each strongholds the market for so long and then slips up and the other takes its place, etc.
True. Years ago ... everyone thought 3Dfx was king... and at one point Matrox was king too. Everyone slips up and loses the edge at sometime. Untill then ..... AMD #1 :D

npras42
09-03-05, 06:45 PM
Well arrogance or confidence it does not matter... AMD knows its at the top at the moment and by the sounds of it thinks its going to hold that lead... It wouldn't issue such a challenge if thought two years down the line Intel may reply and then win. Confidence like that may help them win those customers.

j0j081
09-04-05, 05:22 AM
[pErMan']Id hardly call it immaturity... its called a free market and calling out your opposition as not keeping up ;) Go AMD! :D
I'm not saying it's immature either. What I mean is that would be a good excuse for Intel to make.

Blacklash
09-05-05, 03:50 PM
I like that. Good for AMD.

SH64
09-05-05, 04:13 PM
Dual-core duel eh? wheres superklye ?? :p
well i think Intel wont stand a chance in this duel of dual-cores :D

Ice Nine
09-07-05, 01:59 PM
It's not like it matters. This is pretty much just a PR move for AMD. Intel knows they outsell AMD 5 to 1 and really doesn't have to prove anything beyond that.

Same goes for their lawsuit vs. Intel. AMD shot themselves in the foot making mistake after mistake in business. While they make a good product, they did really stupid things bringing it to market. Like that fab in Dresden. Why pay the germans tons of money to fabricate their CPU's when they can get some sweatshop schleps in Malaysia and Costa Rica to do it for 1/10th the price?

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Mr_LoL
09-07-05, 06:11 PM
Amd need Dell to start selling their processors and others may follow suit. A dimension with an Intel processor just doesnt cut it. Also Intel dual cores are rubbish.

Ice Nine
09-07-05, 07:23 PM
That'll NEVER happen. AMD doesn't have the fabrication volume to meet Dell's demands.

$n][pErMan
09-07-05, 09:03 PM
Dells are junk ... AMD would not want to tarnish thier good name with those crap computers :p

Ice Nine
09-07-05, 09:44 PM
AMD is a company in business to *make money*. Just like intel. Intel is just much better at it. Hector Ruiz would sign his first born over to Michael Dell in a heartbeat if he thought he could land a deal with them.

I never understood how people can get so passionate about the whole AMD vs. Intel thing when BOTH companies are simply trying to get the contents of your wallet. Business is Business, and these two companies are in it for one reason and one reason only.

Once you get past that, the fanboyism goes away and you can see the blatant mistakes these companies make.

As superior a product as the Athlon64 may be, it means NOTHING if AMD keeps making stupid little blunders in the business world that force them to pull lame PR stunts and launch frivolous lawsuits because they don't have the cash or resources to compete against a huge competitor.

David vs. Goliath was a novel tale, but it's still FICTION and simply doesn't apply to the business world.

superklye
09-07-05, 10:51 PM
But intel wouldn't go into a fight with the stakes as high as this one without thinking they had a chance. I don't think Intel will accept.

This is one for the record books though. A processor dual. :P
Sigh...I made a whole thread about this!

"Dual" means "two."
"Duel" means "fight."

superklye
09-07-05, 10:52 PM
It's not like it matters. This is pretty much just a PR move for AMD. Intel knows they outsell AMD 5 to 1 and really doesn't have to prove anything beyond that.

Same goes for their lawsuit vs. Intel. AMD shot themselves in the foot making mistake after mistake in business. While they make a good product, they did really stupid things bringing it to market. Like that fab in Dresden. Why pay the germans tons of money to fabricate their CPU's when they can get some sweatshop schleps in Malaysia and Costa Rica to do it for 1/10th the price?

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.
It looks a hell of a lot better to NOT be using sweatshops and such. You look like a more reputable company, more concerned about the people that work for you rather than lining your own pockets. You don't come across as being greedy, cut-throat SOBs.

superklye
09-07-05, 10:54 PM
David vs. Goliath was a novel tale, but it's still FICTION and simply doesn't apply to the business world.
Really? There's 2 billion+ people that would disagree with that.