PDA

View Full Version : Bad Arctic Silver application on 6800GT made stuff hotter :(

Parts
09-01-05, 09:32 PM
How do I fix this?..

I followed all the instructions and things looked ok on the chip, but when I put the heatsink back on my BFG6800GT the temps seem to have just gone up... is there anything I mightve overlooked or done wrong?

.... I DID leave the default thermal pads on the heatsink for the memory... but that was only because I thought there might not be enough clearance for the HSF to touch the memory if I JUST put the compound on.... but the GPU itself had no thermal pad, so I just spread the AS5 on there in a thin layer and put the HSF back onto it.

Just to clarify for those who overlooked, this is a BFG 6800GT with the dual fan copper HSF

If theres any AS5 tips or things I might've overlooked during this, please post and let me know what I mightve done wrong with applying the stuff.... it must be something since I doubt the temps should go up.

Thanks in advance.

marqmajere
09-01-05, 09:51 PM
I owned a BFG 5900 with the same cooler. I applied AC5 as well and my temps went up too. I'm guessing just a bad cooler design.

j0j081
09-02-05, 08:49 AM
you really should invest in a new cooler. i recommend the one in my sig.

Parts
09-02-05, 12:44 PM
Hmmm.... new cooler huh?

Its not fixable by putting new AS5 on there or anything?

That Zalman one is fairly expensive.... worth it over the AC Silencer for 6800 series? which is a bit cheaper.

I have a side casefan blowing at the VGA slot too, so which would be best performance with that blowing on there.

j0j081
09-03-05, 10:35 AM
Hmmm.... new cooler huh?

Its not fixable by putting new AS5 on there or anything?

That Zalman one is fairly expensive.... worth it over the AC Silencer for 6800 series? which is a bit cheaper.

I have a side casefan blowing at the VGA slot too, so which would be best performance with that blowing on there.
I'm not really sure whats wrong with your AS5 application. I'm using it and my temps seemed to go down a couple degrees C after the breakin period but yes I definitely say get either the Silencer or Zalman. Most people around here seem to prefer the Zalman. It was easy to install and reduced my idle temps close to 20 degrees. The stock cooling on BFG 6800gts sucks big time as you will soon learn.

Parts
09-05-05, 10:11 AM
Okay, well i'll look into one of those then.

No one else can reccomend anything or any tips on if I should re-apply the AS5?

My idle temps before were like high 40s before, now it idles at like 66 and goes up to 73 when playing WoW of all things, I used to only hit that temp when playing stuff like FEAR :(

uOpt
09-05-05, 10:31 AM
The problem here is obviously that the memory area with the pads is holding the cooler too far away from the GPU.

Try thinner thermal tape for the RAM, or paste.

j0j081
09-06-05, 05:25 AM
My idle temps before were like high 40s before, now it idles at like 66 and goes up to 73 when playing WoW of all things, I used to only hit that temp when playing stuff like FEAR :(
those temps are waay too low for a stock bfg 6800gt. that's better than some people are getting with an addon cooler. maybe they were being read wrong before but it wouldn't make much sense as to why.

Parts
09-06-05, 11:42 AM
those temps are waay too low for a stock bfg 6800gt. that's better than some people are getting with an addon cooler. maybe they were being read wrong before but it wouldn't make much sense as to why.

So mid 60s idle is normal for most people? its super high for me considering what it was before I put the AS5 on there... weird.

I dont think it read wrong though, ive been using drivers that had that bug fixed.

So maybe I dont have that much to worry about? i'll still look into getting a new cooler for it though, but I cant really afford to get one right at the moment.

Toss3
09-06-05, 11:48 AM
Okay, well i'll look into one of those then.

No one else can reccomend anything or any tips on if I should re-apply the AS5?

Try applying Ceramic paste instead of arctic silver; works better for some people... :)

FraGTastiK
09-10-05, 11:32 AM
The problem here is obviously that the memory area with the pads is holding the cooler too far away from the GPU.

Try thinner thermal tape for the RAM, or paste.

I second that.your GPU is not making good contact with the heatsink.(maybe no contact at all)

when applying thermal paste to GPUs,its always a good idea to check how good the heatsink is making contact with GPU core by checking the impression of newly applied thermal paste on heatsink.

here is a picture clay provided in his NV5 Silencer review wich shows bad contact.thank you clay.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/poorcontact.jpg

in your case you can either remove memory thermal pads to decrease the gap between GPU/heatsink or try adding another thin layer of thermal paste to GPU core and check the impression on heatsink again to see if its good.it works if the gap is not huge and one or two added layers would fill it up otherwise paste gets thick and it would be useless.

although this way after you had bolted down the heatsink,adding pressure on paste,you may risk having some conductive AS5 spreading wide off the GPU core shorting the SMDs around the core killing the card.figuring the right amount of AS5 needed is very important.

its a bit tricky but having an added layer of AS5 pays off if you are going to overclock the GPU core on air because after a while specially when faced with high temps of overclocked GPU cores(on air),AS5 or anyother paste gets sort of consumed or burnt(different from burning in or setting in).thats when the added thin layer comes into play imo.