PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 Ultra OC games are hanging

vaxick
09-01-05, 10:59 PM
Just got my system back up and running. I've been installing a few games and seem to have a issue. Basically when I'm playing the game, the game with run fine and then freeze for about 10 seconds and then play normal again. Only games on my PC atm are CS:S and the FEAR demo. Both games show this issue. I spoke on the phone with BFG and they told me to remove the nforce Gart drivers, but that did nothing. I'm really getting annoyed by this because I can't play a single game right now.

PC:

AMD 64 3400+ NewCastle
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
1 gig Geil UltraX PC3200
DFI LanParty UT
Audigy 2 ZS
Antec 500w PSU

laydback
09-02-05, 12:02 AM
What chipset does your motherboard have? If it's Nforce3 you may be out of luck as alot of people have compatibility problems. However some claim they don't have issues.

vaxick
09-02-05, 12:56 AM
What chipset does your motherboard have? If it's Nforce3 you may be out of luck as alot of people have compatibility problems. However some claim they don't have issues.

Yeah, nForce 3 :(

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&PRODUCT_ID=2840&SITE=US

OWA
09-02-05, 01:01 AM
Yeah, nForce 3 :(

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&PRODUCT_ID=2840&SITE=US
Install the GART driver if you still have it removed and try just turning off fastwrites.

vaxick
09-02-05, 01:05 AM
Install the GART driver if you still have it removed and try just turning off fastwrites.

Fastwrites are off and I've been running with Gart up until tonight when BFG told me to remove it.

OWA
09-02-05, 01:10 AM
Then see this thread for more things to try:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

vaxick
09-02-05, 05:08 AM
Then see this thread for more things to try:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

None of that really helped :(

I just removed my 6800 Ultra from my PC and stuck some arctic silver 5 on the GPU. GPU used to idle around 63 C and now it's down to about 53 C or at least I hope it stays like that. I ran the FEAR demo after doing this for about 10 minutes and it seemed to run smooth. I'm starting to wonder if this issue is somewhat heat related, but I can't assume that until I do some more serious testing. I know my GPU used to go over 70 C while playing games before. If this is a heat issue, I guess I might have to invest in a better cooler. Or a water cooling kit would be nice also.

avirox
09-02-05, 06:25 AM
You see NVIDIA, people are STILL getting this problem >.>

vaxick
09-02-05, 07:03 AM
You see NVIDIA, people are STILL getting this problem >.>

Seems to be a big problem huh?

I thought it was fixed for a moment after applying some as5, but it's back again :( Pain in the ass as it's basically stopping me from being able to play any of the games I want to.

Goth
09-02-05, 07:12 AM
Seems to be a big problem huh?

I thought it was fixed for a moment after applying some as5, but it's back again :( Pain in the ass as it's basically stopping me from being able to play any of the games I want to.

I had the same problem before the only known fix right now is to remove the broken Nforce3 chipset motherboard from your system and install a VIA chipset motherboard.

vaxick
09-02-05, 07:22 AM
I had the same problem before the only known fix right now is to remove the broken Nforce3 chipset motherboard from your system and install a VIA chipset motherboard.

Argh, it's so late in the game to just switch mobo's being PCI-E is where everything is going now.

Goth
09-02-05, 10:36 AM
Argh, it's so late in the game to just switch mobo's being PCI-E is where everything is going now.

I was thinking the same thing for a while, but I was planing on keeping my Video card a while longer, and I tought to myself $112 dollars will allow me to play my games, or I could just wait for Nvidia to fix a problem that has been around for over a year now :rolleyes: and use my video card to surf the web :thumbdwn:

spirited1
09-02-05, 01:51 PM
I'm running a BFG 6800U O/C here too w/nForce 3 chipset. I dropped the core clock frequency on my card from 425 to 420. It's been four or five days since I did this, and so far, so good.

I think others have said this hasn't worked for them -- so it's a case of your mileage may vary. Last ditch attempt would be to roll back to the 71.89's or the 66.93's.

vaxick
09-02-05, 04:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing for a while, but I was planing on keeping my Video card a while longer, and I tought to myself $112 dollars will allow me to play my games, or I could just wait for Nvidia to fix a problem that has been around for over a year now :rolleyes: and use my video card to surf the web :thumbdwn:

Here's the big question, I do have cash to upgrade, but if I moved to a socket 939 mobo, are there issues with the nForce 4 chipset? Or even in 939 should I look for a VIA mobo? I'm gonna think about doing a upgrade, but I do think I'll wait a few weeks to see how the new ATI cards look.

I'm running a BFG 6800U O/C here too w/nForce 3 chipset. I dropped the core clock frequency on my card from 425 to 420. It's been four or five days since I did this, and so far, so good.

I think others have said this hasn't worked for them -- so it's a case of your mileage may vary. Last ditch attempt would be to roll back to the 71.89's or the 66.93's.

I did lower my clock frequency to 420 with issues still, but I'll try it out with those drivers.

spirited1
09-02-05, 11:36 PM
The lockup problem only seems to occur with a GF 6xxx + nForce3 + any driver release after the 71.89 set. The only sure solution seems to be to use the 71.89's or earlier. As I understand it, if you were to switch to an nForce 4 mobo, the problem goes away.

Now, you could use the 71.89 or earlier set of drivers and be sitting pretty. I'm not as technically minded as most of the guys on these boards but I understand there are graphical textures/shaders that are corrupt/missing from Battlefied 2 when using older drivers like them. That's only one game and if you don't play it anyway, that's not going to be an issue -- but as time rolls on and more games are released, I can't say for sure how long you'll be able to hold out using old drivers.

Goth
09-03-05, 07:50 AM
The lockup problem only seems to occur with a GF 6xxx + nForce3 + any driver release after the 71.89 set. The only sure solution seems to be to use the 71.89's or earlier. As I understand it, if you were to switch to an nForce 4 mobo, the problem goes away.

Now, you could use the 71.89 or earlier set of drivers and be sitting pretty. I'm not as technically minded as most of the guys on these boards but I understand there are graphical textures/shaders that are corrupt/missing from Battlefied 2 when using older drivers like them. That's only one game and if you don't play it anyway, that's not going to be an issue -- but as time rolls on and more games are released, I can't say for sure how long you'll be able to hold out using old drivers.

On my system when I had the broken Nforce 3 chipset I had the problem with 66.93 with FW off it just didn't happen as often and the number of game effected were alot less. The freezing would be so bad in WoW that sometimes after the stupid 8 - 10 sec video stutter with the looping sound the textures in the game would start to tear and I would have to exit the game and come back in. :( The whole time this happened the temp was find on the card. I changed out my motherboard and all is fine now.