PDA

View Full Version : Can I Do-It-Yourself break apart 12V 4-pin power connector?

Treason
09-02-05, 01:52 PM
I got a non-pentium 4 400W PC Power and Cooling power supply here (14 A on +12V). It's from the pentium 3 era and doesn't have the square 4-pin 12V connector for the CPU. Can I just break apart one of the regular rectangle and correctly plug each wire into place?

I could order one of these, but just looking at the picture, I don't see any additional electronic components.

http://www.trianglecables.com/pen412vatxpo.html

This power supply does have the 1/2 AT 6 pin connector according to the requirements on that webpage.

CaptNKILL
09-02-05, 01:59 PM
14A on the 12V is really really low for any recent system. Id say try plugging it in without a 4 pin. If it works, use it but take note of any problems (and deffinitely dont overclock). If it doesnt work, get a good PSU with at the very very least 20-24A on the 12V.
EDIT: As to your question on modding a 4 pin, I wouldnt try it if I were you. Its not worth it considering the risks and that the PSU might not work anyway. Even the best quality PSU with low power output isnt going to be as good for a new system as a mid range PSU with 24A+.