PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 10 (former WGF) wont be backward compatible with DirectX 9 and less!

AthlonXP1800
09-02-05, 10:59 PM
Microsoft finally decided to drop WGF and replaced it with DirectX 10 name that everybody are familar with. DirectX 10 will run so much faster than DirectX 9.0c but they decided to cut off backward compatible with DirectX 9.0 and lower. They will use some sort of emulation software layer to run DirectX 9 and lower compatible games on it, it may end up run slower than with actual DirectX 9.0c.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25902

I am concerning about this news, I hope Microsoft will tweaking the software layer to match the performance of DirectX 9.0c on Windows XP SP2.

j0j081
09-03-05, 11:16 AM
Interesting news however as it comes from the inquirer I don't know.

|MaguS|
09-03-05, 11:19 AM
God, If they make it so that old games are slow I would be pissed. I still play many < dx8 games.

Rakeesh
09-03-05, 01:46 PM
God, If they make it so that old games are slow I would be pissed. I still play many < dx8 games.

If they are that old, they should probably have a high framerate on your machine anyways.

jolle
09-03-05, 05:18 PM
Frankly, that all sounds a bit made up..
but I guess you never know.. well until either WGF or DX10 is out that is..

But with everything called "Windows something Foundation", I find it odd that they are going to dump the WGF name, or maybe it was all temporary codenames like "Longhorn" was...

sandeep
09-05-05, 06:38 AM
I FULLY support the new DIRECTX 10. Its about time to see some break through in graphics. I want BETTER lookign games and that only comes with a huge change to compensate for such advancements.

jolle
09-05-05, 09:49 AM
One of the goals of WGF (cant recall if it was 1.0 or 2.0 tho) has been to make the GPU more selfsufficient and less dependant on CPU to do the API Calls, and DX9 as it stands is said to be very CPU hungry, if I understand things right..
So it sounds like they chose to sacrifice backwards compatibility for that reason.
however since DX9 is so CPU hungry maybe the emulation will even out, and with dual core coming closer to mainstream, and alot of DX9 games arent and wont be Multithreaded for a while, that might help the situation further.