PDA

View Full Version : Is a 7 minute load time in FEAR normal?!?

sillyeagle
09-02-05, 11:42 PM
About 7 minutes is what it takes to load, and even if I just change resolutions within the game it takes a good 5 minutes to rebind the textures. Thats nuts, HL2 and Doom 3 take 1/4 of that time... So is that normal for this engine? Will another 512MB help?

I'm starting to dread the future of gaming if 7 minute loads it what we have to look forward to. lol

Here's what I got...

AthlonXP 2400
6600GT
1GB

russ_3d
09-02-05, 11:45 PM
check my sig, and i dont have that at all.

damn i just remembered i have 1.5 gigs. :o

Evgeny
09-02-05, 11:50 PM
I have same setup as you, with the exception of an A64 3000+ (Winchester). For the demo, loading times did not exceed about a minute if I recall correctly. They were very decent.
I doubt that much that its the CPU though... you'd think that RAM would matter much much more in loading times.

anzak
09-03-05, 12:05 AM
Something is wrong. I've got 1GB and an ultra slow 5400 RPM hard drive and it only takes a minute tops.

sillyeagle
09-03-05, 12:20 AM
Well that sucks, I suppose this is what I get for installing it on a fragmented drive that only had 900 megs free. lol It probably installed it in pieces in all the empty spots where I deleted crap to make room. But still 7 minutes seems excessive.

Maybe I will uninstall it, defrag, and reinstall. Seems thats a place to start anyway, its the only lead I've got....

anzak
09-03-05, 12:21 AM
Well that sucks, I suppose this is what I get for installing it on a fragmented drive that only had 900 megs free. lol It probably installed it in pieces in all the empty spots where I deleted crap to make room. But still 7 minutes seems excessive.

Maybe I will uninstall it, defrag, and reinstall. Seems thats a place to start anyway, its the only lead I've got....

Sometimes defragmenting can do wonders. Good luck. :thumbsup:

j0j081
09-03-05, 11:19 AM
LOL Good job. You didn't need us to tell you why it was taking soo long!

sillyeagle
09-05-05, 06:42 PM
LOL Good job. You didn't need us to tell you why it was taking soo long!

Yep, I totally forgot my drive was so fragmented. lol I just installed it on my backup drive which has plenty of room on it and it loads up like it should now.

ralinn
09-05-05, 07:11 PM
Nice too see you sorted it :]

Never really took much notice of defragging before... this thread has changed that :D

sillyeagle
09-05-05, 08:26 PM
Nice too see you sorted it :]

Never really took much notice of defragging before... this thread has changed that :D

Yeah since my drive was nearly full it installed into little bits of open space that were scattered all throughout the drive.