PDA

View Full Version : Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

sirplayalot
09-03-05, 12:11 AM
http://www.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/September2.2005/

http://www.halflife2.net/news//1120176260_dod_flash0017.jpg

Looks great. Worth the wait!

Also video 5 of the week at Valve has a little video that shows about 5 seconds of gameplay. Looks great but they added iron sights to the game. :(

1UP video link
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3143150&did=1

Day of Defeat®: Source™ (DoD: Source), the latest version of the WWII online action game from Valve®, will be made available to gamers everywhere on September 26.

"Day of Defeat has quietly been one of the most played online action games for the past three years," said Gabe Newell, president and founder of Valve. "Day of Defeat: Source represents a major leap forward in both graphics and gameplay, and pushes the Source engine harder than any other Source project. "

DoD: Source takes the classic teamplay of DoD and expands the experience with Source, the engine technology Valve created for Half-Life® 2 and it's next generation of games. With this technology, DoD: Source offers state of the art graphics with optimized versions of popular maps and all new player, weapon and world models, plus support for HDR lighting.

DoD: Source leverages the power of the Source engine by introducing advanced sound technology to provide a more immersive soundscape and integrated physics simulation technology for ragdolls and physically simulated objects throughout each map.

Available via Steam for just $19.95 and in the Counter-Strike: Source retail package, DoD: Source is a rebuild from the ground up of Day of Defeat on the Source engine.

DoD: Source will be available for pre-load and pre-order next week. Those who purchased the Half-Life 2 Silver or Gold Steam offers will receive a request to pre-load the game at this time and will receive access to play the moment the game is made available.

For more information, visit www.steampowered.com

Valve, Day of Defeat and Source are trademarks or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Rakeesh
09-03-05, 02:17 AM
Day of Defeat: Source will be available as an individual purchase via Steam, as well as part of the Counter-Strike: Source retail package that will be available at stores around the same time. Half-Life 2: Silver and Gold package customers will automatically be able to play.

I would take that as official confirmation that this isn't available for collectors edition owners.

Mr. Hunt
09-03-05, 02:26 AM
Iron sights?! I love iron sights... too bad I hated DoD so I don't really care... I will just keep playing RO ;).

superklye
09-03-05, 03:14 AM
I would take that as official confirmation that this isn't available for collectors edition owners.
Of course not man! we bought the CE! We got all those...awesome...benefits...like, spending $80 for the DVD! Why would we deserve anything else? That would just be greedy!

|MaguS|
09-03-05, 06:30 AM
Of course not man! we bought the CE! We got all those...awesome...benefits...like, spending $80 for the DVD! Why would we deserve anything else? That would just be greedy!

Bitch at Vivendi Universal... They were incharge of the retail packaging. Valve can only control their steam service... thats the benefit of dealing with the developers directly and not the publisher who screwed them over...

BioHazZarD
09-03-05, 06:52 AM
Good news looks nice :)

brady
09-03-05, 07:26 AM
Day Of Defeat: Source this month, with HDR!

If it has HDR then can we assume that LC will be out this month?

anzak
09-03-05, 09:38 AM
DoD: Source was the only reason I went with the silver package. The fact that it took them a year to port it over then replace the models and maps is ridiculous.

Well now that I got that out... :jumping: :dance:

j0j081
09-03-05, 10:28 AM
I'm starting to regret buying the CE more and more.

sirplayalot
09-03-05, 11:31 AM
Iron sights?! I love iron sights... too bad I hated DoD so I don't really care... I will just keep playing RO ;).

From what im hearing now DoD:S will be NOTHING like DoD. Its a brand new game with all new features and has almost nothing in common with DoD. So you may just have to try it out and like it. :)

anzak
09-03-05, 11:48 AM
From what im hearing now DoD:S will be NOTHING like DoD. Its a brand new game with all new features and has almost nothing in common with DoD. So you may just have to try it out and like it. :)

That not what DoD programmer Matt Boone said in his interview with CGW:

Rather than saying, 'Screw it--let's leave what works behind and reinvent the wheel, we're giving the game state-of-the-art graphics, audio, physics and all that stuff.

I'm glad they decided not to screw with the gameplay. DoD is great the way it is. Later they plan on adding more content, but the inital release will be good old DoD with a new coat of paint.

Mr. Hunt
09-03-05, 11:55 AM

Doesn't really matter to me... I prefer the more realistic Red Orchestra (UT2k4 mod) over any other WWII shooter.

Besides... I get screwed over because I bought the regular version in stores. I blame "Vivendi", and by that I mean Valve... just figured I would say vivendi because Magus will cry about how it is their fault. Even though technically Vivendi couldn't put DoD:S on the hard copies due to the fact that it took a year to do...

Rakeesh
09-03-05, 12:33 PM
Bitch at Vivendi Universal... They were incharge of the retail packaging. Valve can only control their steam service... thats the benefit of dealing with the developers directly and not the publisher who screwed them over...

Question: How is it vivendi's fault when valve could just arbitrarily add the game to every HL2 owners steam "my games" list if they wanted to?

In case you haven't noticed, they just did that with blue shift, and that even applied to people who just owned regular HL1 and nothing else.

Sazar
09-03-05, 12:37 PM
I can see it in my "coming soon" games list and I have CE.

I am assuming this means we are supposed to get DOD:S when it drops.

Rakeesh
09-03-05, 12:37 PM
I can see it in my "coming soon" games list and I have CE.

I am assuming this means we are supposed to get DOD:S when it drops.

It's in mine too, and I own the bare minimal package. The "coming soon" section is more or less mostly an advertisement section of your steam games list (the "now available" section is purely for advertisement.) Remember when HL2 was about a year or so away from release, it was in the "coming soon" list for some time, even if you haven't even purchased the game.

EDIT: Kinda funny how they are reacting to this on the steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333182&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Basically it seems that the oppinion of most people on the steam forums is that if you bought the CE, you were stupid for buying it and you didn't pay for DoD:S. Got to love fanboyism.

XP_GUN
09-03-05, 12:57 PM
so how can you get DODS if you just got the store boxed one? will they be selling it later or what?

anzak
09-03-05, 01:07 PM
so how can you get DODS if you just got the store boxed one? will they be selling it later or what?

Yes. You will be able to buy it via steam.

superklye
09-03-05, 10:30 PM
I think I saw somewhere a while back that it was going to be like $10 or something.

j0j081
09-04-05, 05:21 AM
If you got one of those vouchers that came with an ATI card what are you entitled to? I gave my brother one a few months back but he never used the license. I might be able to get it back...

|MaguS|
09-04-05, 06:40 AM
Thats only worth the bronze which doesn't include DOD:S.

Mudcrutch
09-04-05, 09:38 AM
I understand the disappointment of CE owners.. but a few things:

1) valve hates vivendi. they arent going to add more to retail packages than they needed to by contract. they wanted to lure people to use steam so vivendi would make less -- hence getting DOD with the silver/gold packages.

2) it was no secret what games were included with each version. those of us who knew we wanted DOD for SURE included with our purchase went silver or gold.

3) you can still buy DOD:S as an upgrade to your current account (the price seems reasonable) or you can buy the more expenseive CS/DOD retail pack.

i think at this point a lot of people are mad because valve "gives away" a lot of stuff with their games that people expect DOD:S to be free. well unfortunately not this time... :-\

stncttr908
09-04-05, 10:49 AM
I understand the disappointment of CE owners.. but a few things:

1) valve hates vivendi. they arent going to add more to retail packages than they needed to by contract. they wanted to lure people to use steam so vivendi would make less -- hence getting DOD with the silver/gold packages.

2) it was no secret what games were included with each version. those of us who knew we wanted DOD for SURE included with our purchase went silver or gold.

3) you can still buy DOD:S as an upgrade to your current account (the price seems reasonable) or you can buy the more expenseive CS/DOD retail pack.

i think at this point a lot of people are mad because valve "gives away" a lot of stuff with their games that people expect DOD:S to be free. well unfortunately not this time... :-\
I agree. If you bought the ridiculous CE retail pack then it's your own fault.

j0j081
09-06-05, 05:29 AM
I agree. If you bought the ridiculous CE retail pack then it's your own fault.
we had no way of knowing we'd be f**ked over. i assumed it had to include most of what the silver package did as they were identical in price when i bought it.

ST:DS9
09-06-05, 10:28 AM
we had no way of knowing we'd be f**ked over. i assumed it had to include most of what the silver package did as they were identical in price when i bought it.

Thats the problem, you assumed. Did you look at the box, did it mention DOD:S? Where as the Gold and Silver packages specifically said DOD:S. There was information about the packages and what they were going to contian. I knew since the day they annouced the packages that DOD:S was not going to be part of the Bronze or the retail packages.

anzak
09-06-05, 11:02 AM
Valve said that the retail package would be = the bronze Steam package. That means you will only get Half Life 2 and CS: Source.