PDA

View Full Version : Will a 7800 GT work with what ive got??

Mozzy
09-04-05, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Im so out of the modding scene now that i dont know whats good and whats crap these days. Its been about 2-3 years! Im now interested in getting a NVIDIA 7800 GT card, but dont even know if my pc will be able to handle it?

Heres the specs:

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
512MB RAM
ATi Radeon x300SE

Dont know what other info you might need, but thats all i can remember for now.
Will that be alright for a NVIDIA 7800 GT?

Bought 'Boiling Point' Yesterday, PC Cannot play for ****!!!! Even on lowest settings! Dont have enough money to upgrade whole pc so just gonna buy this card, hopefully it will be fine?

Also i was looking the differene between the NVIDIA 7800 GT and NVIDIA 7800 GTX and there wasnt a whole lot that i could see except the price? I can pick up a NVIDIA 7800 GT card for 260 but the cheapest NVIDIA 7800 GTX i found was about 380!

Cheers guys

Lfctony
09-04-05, 10:53 AM
Get the 7800GT, the difference is only ~10%. Basically it's clocked a bit lower and has 20 pipelines instead of 24, 1 less vertex shader, and lower clocked memory. Your PC is PCIe, but it depends on the PSU whether it can take the card or not.

stncttr908
09-04-05, 10:57 AM
Get the 7800GT, the difference is only ~10%. Basically it's clocked a bit lower and has 20 pipelines instead of 24, 1 less vertex shader, and lower clocked memory. Your PC is PCIe, but it depends on the PSU whether it can take the card or not.
Signs point to no, but I could be wrong.

Lfctony
09-04-05, 11:00 AM
Signs point to no, but I could be wrong.

Yah, most likely it won't. :(

aAv7
09-04-05, 11:05 AM
Your gonna need a new power supply. And a 7800GT will be fine. I've seen on other boards, people with 2.4 cpu's and 7800gtx's.

Make sure you get a quality 450/480 watt power supply. Preferably already with a pci-e connector.

Go for the GT, the GTX and GT perform pretty much the same until you hit 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf, then a big difference is noticable, but with ur system, id say 1280x1024 would be perfect.

Mozzy
09-04-05, 11:19 AM
PSU? where can i find this out?

So are some of you saying 'no it wont work at all' and some others saying yes it will work? A little confused?

I have got PCI express because the x300 uses it, but are you saying that there are different slot types of PCIe? Im so stupid when it comes to PC these days, theyve changed so much!?

Would it help if i told you what Motherboard ive got? If so im afraid your gonna have to tell me where i can find that out? Im not used to XP and where to find things?

Cheers for the responce so far!

nas82
09-04-05, 11:29 AM
The power supply is seperate from your motherboard. It's that thing in the back of your computer where you plug your computer into the wall to power it up.

What they are saying is that your current power supply may not provide enough power once you add your new video card.

I think you need to reinstall your video card drivers, it sounds like a simple driver conflict.

www.ati.com

anzak
09-04-05, 11:42 AM
Go with the 7800GT, you will be CPU limited anyways. You will probably need to invest in a new powersupply and more memory, 512mb doesn't cut it anymore.

Mozzy
09-04-05, 11:53 AM
Yeah i dont mind investing in more RAM because that can be quite cheap now anyway.

So with this power supply, will i need to buy a new cord or make one for the video card itself?

And, Would it be best to take out the x300 or leave it in? Ive heard about this new thing where you can have 2 cards in your computer and utilise the power from them both? I havent properly researched this but would that work?

So im not going to be able to just buy this card and plug and play, im gonna have to do some modding right?

john316
09-04-05, 12:47 PM
I know Dell Computers here in the UK are not really upgradable in the PSU department due to their custom designed motherboards - not sure where you are located but it could be something to consider!

jAkUp
09-04-05, 12:55 PM
Yeah i dont mind investing in more RAM because that can be quite cheap now anyway.

So with this power supply, will i need to buy a new cord or make one for the video card itself?

And, Would it be best to take out the x300 or leave it in? Ive heard about this new thing where you can have 2 cards in your computer and utilise the power from them both? I havent properly researched this but would that work?

So im not going to be able to just buy this card and plug and play, im gonna have to do some modding right?

SLI is only for 2 of the same cards... By all means take the x300 out ;)

Mr. Hunt
09-04-05, 01:05 PM
I would tell you to just wait until you can build a whole new PC... you would be too limited by your cpu and ram.

Mozzy
09-04-05, 02:42 PM
thats easy to say but im not desperate enough to spend all that money on a brand new pc when what i got is fine for what i do.
I dont earn enough money to do that sort of thing. Thats why i gave up modding in the first place. I would build an absolulty awesome pc with all the latest stuff i could find and then 4 months down the line it would need parts upgrading, and by the end of the year i would of spent about 2000 in total just on upgrades. It was like a bad addiction! I had to have the best!

So what you saying is: theres no way i'll be able to get that card to work with my pc? Even if i upgrade the RAM to 1024? Theres nothing else im willing to do, just a complete waste of money.

anzak
09-04-05, 02:57 PM
thats easy to say but im not desperate enough to spend all that money on a brand new pc when what i got is fine for what i do.
I dont earn enough money to do that sort of thing. Thats why i gave up modding in the first place. I would build an absolulty awesome pc with all the latest stuff i could find and then 4 months down the line it would need parts upgrading, and by the end of the year i would of spent about 2000 in total just on upgrades. It was like a bad addiction! I had to have the best!

So what you saying is: theres no way i'll be able to get that card to work with my pc? Even if i upgrade the RAM to 1024? Theres nothing else im willing to do, just a complete waste of money.

All you need is a new powersupply. Your old one might work, but Dell isn't known to put the best PSU in their computers. If you plan on playing games then 1GB of ram is a good investment also. Other than that, I don't see a problem.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money you could always keep your old powersupply and buy a 6600GT and 512mb of ram.

Mozzy
09-05-05, 10:45 AM
Maybe a lesser card would probably be more suitable? I go through these phases of not playing games then all of a sudden getting back into them only to find my pc is now old and unable.

Ive found this card, dont know much about it, but would i be better off with this one?

Foxconn Nvidia 6800GTO 256M PCI-Express inc power cable

For 170 i didnt think it was too bad? I will also definatly upgrade to 1024 ram.

Is this a better idea then?

Cheers everyone

Mozzy
09-05-05, 11:17 AM
Actually just read somewhere that the GTO version is a complete rip off.

Would it be better getting the GT version, theres one on ebay for 185? Comes with no cables though? what cables do i need?

What do you reckon?

Toss3
09-05-05, 03:34 PM
PSU? where can i find this out?

So are some of you saying 'no it wont work at all' and some others saying yes it will work? A little confused?

I have got PCI express because the x300 uses it, but are you saying that there are different slot types of PCIe? Im so stupid when it comes to PC these days, theyve changed so much!?

Would it help if i told you what Motherboard ive got? If so im afraid your gonna have to tell me where i can find that out? Im not used to XP and where to find things?

Cheers for the responce so far!

I'm sorry, don't want to sound like a prick or something... but do you even know how to install a new card? Sounds like you've never even opened your computer, or am I wrong?

Of course newbies can learn, but if I were you I'd call a friend that knows this kind of stuff! :) Cuz' if you break that card while installing it the wrong way, then you won't get a new one and you've lost 260!

My advice( if you don't have anyone that knows about computers ): 1) Try taking the x300 out and putting it back in :) 2) Try taking your PSU out and putting it back in! 3) If you run into problems, don't try anything you don't know is safe! Instead ask the people here for help(which you've obviously done already)!

These sound like very easy steps, but better to be safe than sorry (which I learned with my dead 6800 :( )!

The 7800gt would be a very good choice!

Hope everything works out okay,
Toss3

Mozzy
09-06-05, 06:36 AM
Beleive it or not i used to be into modding. But that was years ago when everything was simple. Im not exactly up to date with all the latest stuff.

I know i sounded like a twat when i asked what a PSU was. I dont what we used to call them but i dont remeber calling them that. Or maybe its because i always bought my psu's with the casing so never thought much about them, anyway, i have to admit i was a little embarassed about that. :p

Never mind eh!

So your reckoning the 7800 GT? I think i might stick with the 6800 GT, cheaper and i probably woulnt be able to tell the difference with my computers specs anyway.

Cheers guys

Toss3
09-06-05, 10:55 AM
Beleive it or not i used to be into modding. But that was years ago when everything was simple. Im not exactly up to date with all the latest stuff.

I know i sounded like a twat when i asked what a PSU was. I dont what we used to call them but i dont remeber calling them that. Or maybe its because i always bought my psu's with the casing so never thought much about them, anyway, i have to admit i was a little embarassed about that. :p

Never mind eh!

So your reckoning the 7800 GT? I think i might stick with the 6800 GT, cheaper and i probably woulnt be able to tell the difference with my computers specs anyway.

Cheers guys

I'd definatly say go with the 7800gt, although you might not notice much difference between a 6800gt and a 7800gt on your computer ( though I don't know this for sure, cuz' I noticed a huge improvement over my 9800pro. when I got my 6800gt, and I have a 2,4Ghz P4) , but for future upgrades and maybe SLi, the 7800gt would be a better choice! :)