PDA

View Full Version : Asus P5WD2 955 SLI OR THE P5ND2-SLI DELUXE Nforce4 for my 7800 GTX's

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 11:22 AM
Help me to decide which to get for my pair of EVGA 7800 GTX's.

Dazz
09-04-05, 05:17 PM
I must say the Asus P5ND2-SLI seems to be the better options.

jAkUp
09-04-05, 05:18 PM
Go with the nForce4 chipset.

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 05:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. The Nforce board splits the 2 boards down to 8X and 8x and the Intel chipset runs one card in 16X and the other in 4X Not really the chipset but thru Asus Technology. Is this not a better solution? I think the Intel would be better. This is just info I have read from Viperlair and Tom's. Please tell me what you think. So far it has been 50/50 from the members. Thanks!!

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 05:29 PM
Go with the nForce4 chipset.

Hey Jakeup can I get my hands on those bios for your EVGA's? Have you described how to flash them yet?

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 05:30 PM
I must say the Asus P5ND2-SLI seems to be the better options.

The Nforce4 is the faster of the 2.

jAkUp
09-04-05, 05:34 PM
Hey Jakeup can I get my hands on those bios for your EVGA's? Have you described how to flash them yet?

Sure man :)

I just prefer the nForce4 driver suite, and overall board functionality.

As for the 8x vs 8x or 4x vs. 16x.

I havent heard anything like that, but if so, it seems as 8x and 8x would be the better option, because even at 8x, the pcie bus is not fully being used... 4x might be cutting a little bandwith.

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 05:40 PM
Sure man :)

I just prefer the nForce4 driver suite, and overall board functionality.

As for the 8x vs 8x or 4x vs. 16x.

I havent heard anything like that, but if so, it seems as 8x and 8x would be the better option, because even at 8x, the pcie bus is not fully being used... 4x might be cutting a little bandwith.

Are you running RAID at all and if so how is the Nforce at handling it? Thanks again for the info.

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 05:46 PM
The board I'm running now has been a pain since I got it. I have had numerous issues with RAID on the Intel side and Asus has already Archived the board which does not make me feel all warm inside. Just not happy with it and I have to say it is my first Asus board I have not been happy with.

jAkUp
09-04-05, 05:53 PM
No RAID for me :(

I'm gonna tell you now though, the nForce controller has its fair share of RAID problems.. I know that. The Gigabyte boards seem to have the most issues, but I think the others have issues as well.

Eltigre88
09-04-05, 06:04 PM
No RAID for me :(

I'm gonna tell you now though, the nForce controller has its fair share of RAID problems.. I know that. The Gigabyte boards seem to have the most issues, but I think the others have issues as well.

My main priority is to get the most out of my 7800's. So I'm leaning torward the nforce 4 board.

Dazz
09-05-05, 06:08 AM
No the 16x + 4x is slower then 8x + 8x it was the same the the nForce boards. Reason being SLI is dual it's better to have data flowing at the same rate then one being faster and the other slow which causes latency as such reduces peformance.

Eltigre88
09-05-05, 08:53 AM
I just read that Nvidia came out with an Nforce 4 SLI 16X where both cards run on 16 lanes each. Maybe I should wait?

Lars
09-05-05, 10:02 AM
To put it simply. If you want to run SLI with an Intel chip, right now Nforce 4 IE is the only choice. It simply isn't possible to enable SLI on the Asus P5WD2 at the time being. I have tried, it's a no-go. However, having said that, the Nforce4 IE chipset is absolutely horrible compared to the Intel 955X chipset when it comes to serious overclocking and running high DDR2 memory speeds and tight timings.

I am currrently testing the Abit NI8 SLI board out, and I've lost over 500 Mhz cpu speed, and 300 Mhz DDR2 memory speed, Compared to the Asus P5WD2. The fact of the matter is that that the NB/MCP on the Nforce4 IE chipset is inferior to the one on the Asus P5WD2 to a degree one would never expect reading reviews online. Having discussed numerous issues with fellow Nforce 4 IE overclockers, on Xtremesystems as well as on smaller local forums, IMO it's quite safe to say that the issues experienced with the Nforce4 IE chipset is not manufacturer specific either.

Now before some fanboy might start jumping all over me for being biased, I might add, that I currently have the highest published 3dmarks scores in 03 and 05 for any Intel SLI setup in the world, with my cpu running @ 4655 Mhz

Personally I suspect the memory controller to be the culprit, but also the rather "meager" power curcuitry on the Nforce 4 IE chipset compared to the Asus P5WD2 could very well be a problem for serious overclockers on the Nforce 4 IE chipset. Also the NB chip gets extremely hot compared to the 955X chipset. Especially in 3dmark05 it's obvious that something is odd with SLI results on the Nforce IE chipset.

Regardless of chipset, IMHO you also should consider that running 2x 7800GTX in SLI is going to be extremely CPU limited, even at very high resolutions. I can run my CPU at up to 4.65 Ghz in the Abit NI8 SLI, and Doom 3 is still largely CPU limited @ 1600x1200 4x fsaa 8x af. For every 100 Mhz increase from 4.0 to 4.6 I still gain around 2.5 fps at this resolution.

I really hope the new chipset with dual 16x pci-e slots will fix a lot of the issues I've experienced. The Nforce 4 IE chipset is really not too bad for a first time Intel chipset, it's just nowhere near as good a chipset as the 955X. It does, however support SLI...

wheeljack12
09-05-05, 11:09 AM
Jakup, I figured out the Raid problem. You can't have more than three SATA drives on the nforce controller or you get the machine exception bluescreen. And you can't use the primary IDE controller when you are using SATA on the nforce 4 or the same result. So, going Pure Sata is the best solution Like back in another thread you said you did. As for SLI, I would either wait for the SLI 16x which has two 16x pci-e slots by nvidia or the new intel chipset that will allow either ATI Crossfire or Nvidia's SLI in 8x and 8x. I think it's 977 or 975, something like that. There is some threads on it on the site.

jAkUp
09-05-05, 11:48 AM
Well, the dual 16x board is coming out. But even nVidia said that it make really no difference, since the cards aren't being used to the full 16x bandwith.

grimreefer
09-09-05, 06:37 PM
there is no such board as a p5wd2 sli.... if u wanna go single card, i would recommend the p5ld2, which is a cheaper version of the p5wd2

Eltigre88
03-12-07, 09:56 AM
Well I have moved on since this pole to the Asus P5B Deluxe and love it. Curious what other owners of this board think?:captnkill: