PDA

View Full Version : Video Playback for GF6600GT and 71.89++ problem

exodeus
09-04-05, 12:27 PM
Hi!

My gayforce 6600GT card can't play movies. at least not with any drivers above 71.89, i've tried 78.01 but any time i try to play a movie (such as avi files) my system goes haywire. i doesnt completly lock down, i can still (although very slowly) move my mouse and preform a ctrl+alt+del on it (if i got the patients to wait).

games move excellent with 78.01 drivers though. BF2 floats like a dream. therefore i would like to rule out heat and power probs.

i have tried diffrent players, i have re-installed windows (although that was due to other reasons :D), i have tried diffrent codecs and diffrent movies... i've also tried to connect a 450w power supplier...
the diffrence as far as i can tell is only the drivers.

anyone that can help me shed some light on this mystery?

sys specs:
p4 3.06HT
1024 ram
gayforce6600GT
40+200gb HD
200w power supply (weak, i know, but hey! its a barebone and i experienced no improvements with a 450w)

exodeus
09-05-05, 03:54 AM
no replies, got some more info though, my friend running on a 6600 (non-GT) have no trouble at all with the 78.01 drivers, our combined effort has availed us nothing.
a funny detail though: if i start a movie and presses ctrl+alt+del and enters the activity manager (direkt translation from swe, hope it's correct), the damn thing jumps back into action... plays the movie, if not good than at least... well... moving pictures. quick time moves better than the rest. actually it moves well. first time that's ever happened to me.

i can't be the only one experiencing this? i've tried searching around but i've found nothing. if im being a retard, please tell me, just don't ignore me *sobs*.
love me, hug me or at least for gods sake fix my grafic card :D

sharangad
09-05-05, 06:55 AM
I think this is caused by yer motherboard drivers. There were other posts on this forum about it. If this is the case, you proly have an Athlon64 and an nForce mobo.

Your best bet is to try a beta AGP GART driver ( from a beta nForce driver package). I have an Athlon64 and an nForce3 mobo. I dunno if I'm affected, but I'm on a beta chipset driver.

Oooops! Sorry I didna read yer specs. You have a P4! My bad. I don't know what it is then.

exodeus
09-05-05, 10:54 AM
problem solved.

since sharangads tip about motherboards and processors i took a look to all the drivers (and firmwares, bios and on and on) i installed around the card. i found only one thing i was unsure of, a thingie called "ati smbus". i had previously installed it through windows guide for drivers, but tried now to run a the setup.exe instead. this did also install "ati smbus" drivers but also something called "ati rs300/rs300m AGP". it also talked about gart. i don't quite know what to make of it (gonna read up onit tonight) but the prob is solved! now it all works like a charm!

thanks sharangad!

(now all thats left is to reinstall my windows, thanks to my brilliant troubleshooting... *sighs*)