PDA

View Full Version : Are Longhorn & Vista same?

Pages : [1] 2

rohit
09-04-05, 05:55 PM
Well, i didnt know where to post this. Coz this is stupid.

the thing is, i happen to know this moronic friend (senior to me) who refuses to believe that Vista was the codenamed longhorn. On top of that, he argues with me, & asks me to check my facts. Here is what he told me exactly:

"i read on this site (didnt mention what site), which states, due to last minute complications with longhorn, M$ had to drop the idea of Longhorn. And continued with a simultaneous project called Vista.
the problem is related to 32-bit and 64-bit applications for Longhorn, that became a BIG issue, and so M$ THOUGHT, its not the ideal time to announce Longhorn, so forget longhorn, and continue with Vista"

after hearing that, i was $H!T confused :confused:. although i was 100% sure, i am right on this, but he continued to argue.

He Further cliamed that "Reason Longhorn was postponed, coz it was complete 64-bit and Vista is 32-bit & 64-bit" :wtf:
i know this is complete BS.
I didnt want to risk arguing with him, coz 1] Most of our friends were there 2]he is my senior by a year, and is into programming & helps me in stuffs.
I just want to clarify things. Am i right ?? :confused:

Roadhog
09-04-05, 05:59 PM
vista is the latest version of longhorn.

jAkUp
09-04-05, 06:14 PM
hahahaha

Point your friend to this thread.

Vista is the official name for Longhorn. 32bit and 64 bit has NOTHING to do with the delay. Vista will be available in 64bit and 32bit versions.

-=DVS=-
09-04-05, 06:14 PM
Longhorn is codename,
Actual retail name is Vista

You can tell that to your friend.

rohit
09-04-05, 06:27 PM
You can tell that to your friend. Vista will be available in 64bit and 32bit versions.
The thing is i told him both the above things, but still he said "Check your facts". thats when i thought i may be wrong. ill ask him of that site though, the source of his news. i am waiting for him to come online on messenger. i wanna talk to him abt this.
He made me feel like a total noob. :(

nrs421
09-04-05, 06:36 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Windows Vista™ (formerly code named Longhorn)

jAkUp
09-04-05, 06:49 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

hahah owned! I cannot stand people who think they know what they are talking about, when they really don't. It bugs me like nothing else. This sort of disease seems to run rampant in the Hardware/Software community.

gmontem
09-04-05, 07:15 PM
lmao. Get back to us with an update after you give him the link. Hopefully he won't pull an nv40 and tell you that's just damage control PR bull and he'll believe what he wants to believe. ;)

PSYCHODAD
09-04-05, 07:39 PM
"Short of obtaining a degree in logic, or studying the nuances of debate, remember this one simple rule for defusing those who are skilled at defending bad ideas: Simply because they cannot be proven wrong, does not make them right. Most of the tricks of logic and debate refute questions and attacks, but fail to establish any true justification for a given idea."

http://www.scottberkun.com/essays/essay40.htm

This has been posted before, but still a nice read.

superklye
09-04-05, 10:13 PM
Kinda like how Windows Whistler was the codename for XP...

Sazar
09-04-05, 10:19 PM
I think you need to tell your friend to go to a better school.

Clay
09-04-05, 10:23 PM
Introduce your friend to Google...or this equally helpful site (http://googleityoumoron.com/).

jolle
09-05-05, 02:04 AM
there was some speculations that they would drop the 32bit version, and only release a 64bit version of Longhorn, now known as Vista.
But apparantly they decided to stick with both 32 and 64bit versions.

GamerGuyX
09-05-05, 02:20 AM
lmao. Get back to us with an update after you give him the link.

Yes exactly. I hate it when people make threads like this and then end up not tell us the outcome. :mad:

sandeep
09-05-05, 06:41 AM
The thing is i told him both the above things, but still he said "Check your facts". thats when i thought i may be wrong. ill ask him of that site though, the source of his news. i am waiting for him to come online on messenger. i wanna talk to him abt this.
He made me feel like a total noob. :(

Isn't there a better saying for such ppl. Lets not argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you through their own experience. Tell him that.

Toss3
09-05-05, 09:11 AM
Introduce your friend to Google...or this equally helpful site (http://googleityoumoron.com/).
LMAO :D

rohit
09-05-05, 01:41 PM
well, i had a chat with him on messenger. its sick, he just isnt ready to accept it.
His source turns out to be one of the professors of our college.
this is what happened:
i gave him this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
He said, this M$ site, and he wont take what they mention "seriously".
so i asked him the source of his belief. this was actully told by one of our college proffessors in some class. im his junior, and i wasnt a part of the class.

so i told him, does our honorable prof. work for M$, he said "no, but maybe, he has some inside knowledge" :wtf:

I, again said, what makes our teacher think so.
he replied " da main cause of this is Intel 64 bit". i had no clue what to tell him.
so i said, "M$ develops OS's, Intel, AMD, ABC, XYZ etc have got nuthing to do with it.
So he told me "think wadeva you wan to think".

so finally i asked him, what exactly is loghorn, he replied "vista is a stripd down version of the actual longhorn. longhorn has been postponed for 2k8 or 2k9"

next he said, he has work, & needs to go.

i am breaking my head on a STONE. its not goin to break!!!!

gmontem
09-05-05, 01:51 PM
It just crossed my mind that maybe he knows vista is longhorn and is simply screwing around with your head for the fun of it. Ignore the guy for a while and turn to other local friends who can help you with any of your computer stuff. But if you still want to pursue this, ask for the professor's name so you can verify the "insider info" with him yourself.

jolle
09-05-05, 01:58 PM
Well, Vista is Longhorn, but longhorn has lost some features along the way that arent going to make it to the release, but will be released as upgrades later on.
So its true that you might call it "stripped down", in a sense, but it is still Longhorn, the OS codenamed Longhorn and has since been given a release name, its just not shipping with WinFS last I heard, but that may change I guess.

Hehe, well it sound like this guy is a mythomaniac and he just got his bluff called, now there isnt much he can do about it, pushing him further on the topic isnt going to get you anywhere, other then perhaps give you bloodpressure problems.
I was talking to a guy like that once, kept going on about things and I led him further and finally got him to claim having things that didnt exist, since I asked him if he had "this special super CPU" etc, and he would ofcource say he did..

I think that Intels EM64T is basicly mimicing the 64bit extentions on Athlon64, and are fully compatible.

rohit
09-05-05, 02:13 PM
It just crossed my mind that maybe he knows vista is longhorn and is simply screwing around with your head for the fun of it. Ignore the guy for a while and turn to other local friends who can help you with any of your computer stuff. But if you still want to pursue this, ask for the professor's name so you can verify the "insider info" with him yourself.
he isnt pulling my leg, or screwing wit my head.
I know the professor, he told me his name. But i wont go to verify if this is true or no, it feels..awkward to talk to the professor abt it.
I dont want to ignore my friend, he has helped over the years (more than 5yrs), with schooling projects, classwork, other activities. i just wanted him to know teh truth.

This isnt the 1st time, we have differed in thoughts.
once when he wanted to buy a cheap VGA, i suggested him a ti4200 or 5200, but he bought 9200. reason: coz 9800 series are a hit, so 9200 is superior to 5200. is what he told me. and ti4200 is OLD gen.
Again this time, i suggested him x800xl over 6800 (2 months bak), he got a 6800 vanilla, when x800xl 256mb was available for the same cost. reason. 6800U is better.
There have been other things too.

Well, Vista is Longhorn, but longhorn has lost some features along the way that arent going to make it to the release, but will be released as upgrades later on.
So its true that you might call it "stripped down", in a sense, but it is still Longhorn, the OS codenamed Longhorn and has since been given a release name, its just not shipping with WinFS last I heard, but that may change I guess
This is true, then may be he means what you have said. But i recollect he said, Vista and longhorn are different.

Toss3
09-05-05, 03:22 PM
This isnt the 1st time, we have differed in thoughts.
once when he wanted to buy a cheap VGA, i suggested him a ti4200 or 5200, but he bought 9200. reason: coz 9800 series are a hit, so 9200 is superior to 5200. is what he told me. and ti4200 is OLD gen.
Again this time, i suggested him x800xl over 6800 (2 months bak), he got a 6800 vanilla, when x800xl 256mb was available for the same cost. reason. 6800U is better.
There have been other things too....

Sounds like he's really annoying! I mean, he obviously doesn't care what other people tell him ! But then again he can wait til' 2k8 for his "Longhorn" while we enjoy our Vista in the mean time ;) we aren't the ones throwing away money on cards that are slow(compared to other cards in the same price-range)!

jolle
09-06-05, 10:18 AM
This is true, then may be he means what you have said. But i recollect he said, Vista and longhorn are different.

Chances are that he mixed things up when listening to that professor, missunderstood the things he was saying..
But he does sound like a compulsive liar, I guess if you know him from way back you ought to know, but you generally dont defend your info like that unless you KNOW it to be true, not just something someone else told you..

rohit
09-06-05, 03:34 PM
but you generally dont defend your info like that unless you KNOW it to be true, not just something someone else told you..
Well, i wouldnt have bothered, if it was just in between the 2 of us.
i took is seriously coz there were a whole bucnh of friends, who thought i was a moron.
i was the one who hyped up longhorn a lot, said it was soo cool.. its gonna have new looks etc. and it ended up like i speaking jacksh!t.

superklye
09-06-05, 11:14 PM
It sounds like this guy need to be hit in the balls so hard he pukes.

j0j081
09-07-05, 05:30 PM
after the latest convo it's obvious you need to call this guy out for the newb he is and be done with it. it's okay to be wrong but this guy is a total stuborn baboon.