PDA

View Full Version : BF2: messes up network?

Raje
09-04-05, 08:18 PM
I bought BF2 a couple days ago and I have had fun messing around with single player, but I felt it was time to get owned properly by some actual people.

I got all my online account stuff situated, but as soon as I choose multiplayer the rest of my network goes nuts. By "goes nuts" I mean I lose my IP address from Comcast. I have to restart the Router or unplug it from the modem and plug it back in to get a new IP address assigned to me. Needless to say I get yelled at because the girlfriend ends up being kicked from her online game.

I have Comcast cable internet using the crappy modem they provide, a 255 user 3Com firewall/router with 4 100Mb ports. My computer is attached to a 4 port 100Mb 3Com switch on my desk and then that's connected to one of the ports of the 3Com router. My girlfriend's computer is connected directly to one of the port on the 3Com router. Network is fine with CS:S and anything else I have done. We've also played a lot of Multiplayer IceWind Dale and games like that with no problems.

Any idea what's going on or what I am doing wrong? First time I have encountered such a problem.

EDIT: Fixed. Disabling Plug and Play worked. I haven't had a problem since.

jAkUp
09-04-05, 09:00 PM
Hmmm... strange, I havent heard of such an issue...

$n][pErMan
09-04-05, 09:42 PM
Is this a one time thing or does it happen everytime you try to play online BF2?

Raje
09-04-05, 10:23 PM
[pErMan']Is this a one time thing or does it happen everytime you try to play online BF2?

Happens everytime.

I did manage to play some today, but I lose the IP at some point and the other computers on the network can't do anything. Router says it can't obtain an IP address.

Just had to do the Ol' plug and unplug on the router/modem connection in order to get an IP and post this ;)

Seems like anything that had established a connection prior to the lose of the IP can still use the network for a while, but nothing new can use it.

$n][pErMan
09-05-05, 12:03 AM
Dude .. thats really F*ed up :eek: I don;t even know where to start .. lol. :confused: I suppose check the obvious first.... router settings ... firewall settings .... maybe driver/game conflicts somehow releasing your IP? I have no clue... this is a new one... :p

retsam
09-05-05, 01:35 AM
try to turn off universal plug and play ....turn it off on both the router and your host machine... when xp was in beta it acutally had been know to take down whole corperate networks.... you should also try to upgrade your routers firmware..

Raje
09-05-05, 04:28 AM
I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

rudedog
09-05-05, 05:30 AM
Can you update your router's firmware?

I had the same problem with an old Linksys a firmware upgrade did the trick

edit: Sorry retsam, just notice you mentioned that already.

Raje
09-05-05, 03:34 PM
It's fixed. Going to edit the first post as well.... Disabling Plug n Play worked.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Ya, I went to DL the newest Firmware. Looks like I have to most up to date version for the router that I have.

retsam
09-05-05, 03:47 PM
good to hear it !!

$n][pErMan
09-05-05, 06:02 PM
IM gonna make a note of this page. Never heard of that problem ... ever. But if I run into it ... I'll know what to check :)

retsam
09-06-05, 09:58 AM
IM gonna make a note of this page. Never heard of that problem ... ever. But if I run into it ... I'll know what to check ya i remember when xp was in beta it didnt like certain cisco routers and switches ... it would take down whole networks becouse of unpnp...

DaveW
09-06-05, 01:23 PM
When I got BF2, I had to restart my router (WRT54G) ever 30 mins till I flashed the firmware.

j0j081
09-07-05, 04:37 PM
why does the plug n play mess it up?

retsam
09-07-05, 05:09 PM
why does the plug n play mess it up? has something todo with the way the routers handled unpnp packets...i think the way the routers handle the detection of upnp devices....

Fam Money
09-10-05, 10:48 AM
I've had a problem similar to this one. Whenever I started a game of BF2 the very first time I connected to a server I always got disconnected. Then when I go to connect again I would be fine on the server.

Then my next problem would be the Ventrilo disconnects. After I got through the initial server disconnect Ventrilo would start going crazy. Meaning Vent would just disconnect, reconnect, disconnect....... It would then do this for about 15 minutes.

Well I tried disabling UPnP and it has seemed to fix my issue as well. Thanks retsam!

Here is a link to a program that will disable UPnP for those that are not wanting to disable the services manually.
http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

Raje
09-10-05, 04:37 PM
GRC rules. Same one I used. Has a few good reads about computer security as well.

Fam Money
09-10-05, 10:54 PM
It is a great site. I've been going there since I got the net back in 2000.

retsam
09-11-05, 12:34 AM
Well I tried disabling UPnP and it has seemed to fix my issue as well. Thanks retsam! no problem, glad i could be of some help... people dont realize that unpnp can comprimise not just security but router stability...