PDA

View Full Version : MSI 6600GT PCI express16 Running Hot HELP!!!!

s420merc
09-05-05, 05:10 PM
Just got this card into a new machine and i am getting very high temp readings.
I am using the MSI P4N Diamond Motherboard.
MY CPU is runing at about 50C under full load and system temp about 45C
but my GPU is runing at at 60C at rest and after runing WOW for about 10-15 minutes i am seeing temps pass 100C maxing out at about 104C so far.
Is this normal.
I have a Thermaltake case and power supply annd 6 fans runing.
Should i RMA the card i got it from NEWEGG any help for a newb.
I should add that i am runing stock settings no OC
I am getting a AQuamark3 score of 53,310 with my base settings.
that is with a P4 3.2 Processor 1MB lvl2 cache and 2GB of Corsair XMS ram

s420merc
09-05-05, 08:04 PM
Please someone help is 104C normal for a MSI 6600GT

gram_vaz
09-05-05, 08:07 PM
it's pushing it but nvidia cards don't throttle down until 120c. your pc hardware can tolerate high temps. if you don't artifact i wouldn't worry about it.

i'm in the same boat as you. i have a thermaltake case with 5 case fans, i even took off all the pci slot covers for better ventilation, and also removed all the dust filters on the fans, but my gpu still goes up to 95c on load...

Sir Random
09-06-05, 05:05 PM
You could both try reseating the heatsinks, using Arctic Silver 5. The stock goop isn't that good and sometimes there's too much of it, or it's only making contact in patches, leaving parts of the core uncooled.
Lots of people have seen lower temps, just by changing to AS5.

HighTest
09-06-05, 05:40 PM
I found that my original MSI HSF came loose and had a gap between it and the GPU. After determining that I used AS5 and my temps dropped quite a bit.

I'm suspicious that the same had happened to you.

FYI: I'm on a Zalman VF700-CU now and my Load is lower than my Idle used to be. After running 3dmark05 with 5 passes, I'm now topping out at 58c. Wahoooo! I'm also able to overclock this puppy really good now.

In any case, your temps you posted are deffintely too high.

Chiles4
09-07-05, 05:46 PM
FYI: I'm on a Zalman VF700-CU now and my Load is lower than my Idle used to be. After running 3dmark05 with 5 passes, I'm now topping out at 58c. :eek: When I run 3DMark05 on my 6800GT, I top out at 58c as well. :eek:

The Zalman VF700-cu is the best cooler available IMHO. It can fit a 6600GT but look at the notes at Zalman - the cooper fins will extend out beyond the edge of the card. The temps on my 6800GT dropped dramatically after I replaced the stock cooler with the Zalman - and it's easy to install to boot.

With temps that high on a 6600GT, I'm thinking that something's broken or not making good contact.

s420merc
09-10-05, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the advice i removed the stock heat sink on my MSI6600GT and using a scalpel removed the 2 side rubber insulators and put on Artic Silver in their place and over the GPU too.
Reinstalled card and woohooo my temps droped from 105-106C to a max of 61C so far thanks for the tip.
runs cooler at Full load now then it did before at idle.
NOW To OC it :-)