PDA

View Full Version : Windowed Mode

CKS
09-05-05, 06:06 PM
is it normal that a windowed 3D game runs slow?

I play wc3 windowed, fps is about 17 only, 64 fullscreen.

stisoas
09-05-05, 06:22 PM
single view / dual view /horizontal span ???

CKS
09-05-05, 10:35 PM
single view

I can play it fullscreen, but I want to be able to use other applications such as messenger while I play wc3, so I switch back and forth between those two, whenever wc3 is in the background, it runs only 17 fps, is this normal?

GamerGuyX
09-05-05, 11:17 PM
If anything you should have better performance in Windowed mode. That is unless your running a lot of stuff in the background while playing the game.

TierMann
09-05-05, 11:31 PM
And if the game itself isn't running in the backround under all that stuff ;)

GamerGuyX
09-05-05, 11:48 PM
And if the game itself isn't running in the backround under all that stuff ;)

I have no idea what you just said. http://www.rage3d.com/board/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Subtestube
09-06-05, 12:05 AM
What Tiermann is pointing out is that if the Game window doesn't have focus, it won't be conceptually 'on top', even if it's visible. In other words, it'll perform much more slowly than it does when it has focus.

So yes, it seems pretty standard that your performance will drop radically when the window is in the background.

GamerGuyX
09-06-05, 12:09 AM
What Tiermann is pointing out is that if the Game window doesn't have focus, it won't be conceptually 'on top', even if it's visible. In other words, it'll perform much more slowly than it does when it has focus.

So yes, it seems pretty standard that your performance will drop radically when the window is in the background.

Ah yes that does make sense.

crainger
09-06-05, 12:51 AM
Is it possible that when you run fullscreen its at a lower res. So when you run in a window its actually running higher due to a higher res for the desktop??

Prob not the case, just a thought

TierMann
09-06-05, 02:06 AM

Thanks, Subtestube :)
I live in a box and have bad communication skills so I can't always get things out.