PDA

View Full Version : Sli enable problem

Arcrist
09-05-05, 07:42 PM
So Intrex replaced my video card with an idential one they said. But when i go to enable the SLI mode it says "You must remove any graphics cards that are not compatible with Nvidia Scalable Link Interface technology before you can enable SLI."

What should I do? Both cards are installed and show the same name under Hardware Profiles.

GlowStick
09-05-05, 07:52 PM
Your video bios's are most likely diffrent, you will have to flash them your self or have them do it for you.

Arcrist
09-05-05, 07:54 PM
so get the asus auto update thing? it wont update from the auto update, says it cant find the file.

Arcrist
09-05-05, 08:13 PM
I flashed it with the latest driver but its the same message for the SLI enable thing. What else could i possibly do? this is insane.

Edit: I flashed the motherboard, thats what I was supposed to do right?

acrh2
09-05-05, 08:41 PM
Flash the video card, not motherboard, you dummy:)

Arcrist
09-05-05, 08:47 PM
how do you do that?

OWA
09-05-05, 09:06 PM
Try here for a flash guide:

http://www.mvktech.net/content/category/4/67/37/

Arcrist
09-05-05, 09:19 PM
Ok thats all japanese to me, can u break it down in a few simple steps?

Arcrist
09-05-05, 09:26 PM
I might have it now, hopefully i got the right bios

Arcrist
09-05-05, 09:41 PM
Ok so i did it but heres my error.

I/O Error cannot open file. file.rom

it also gave me some version 5.13 something.

Do i have the wrong bios file or something?

OWA
09-05-05, 09:41 PM
What video card do you have? The BFG ones have a utility that do everything for you.

Edit: Also, with some of the utilities, you have the name the bios file a certain name that I can't recall at the moment (maybe bios.rom :)). There are some threads here that have the steps listed so if you search, you should be able to find the exact steps. I'll see if I can find them also.

OWA
09-05-05, 09:46 PM
Edit: Here's a thread on it (for specifying which card):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53325&highlight=7800+bios+flash

I found these instructions in a post by jimmor:

Bios flashing activities with 6xxx and 7xxx cards are as follows,

Flash the bios in DOS using nvflash.exe v5.13

nvflash -r (removes any protection)

nvflash -b ORIGBIOS.ROM (saves original bios)

nvflash -4 -5 -6 BIOSNAME.ROM (flash new bios file)

However because of DOS filename restrictions, "ORIGBIOS.ROM" and "BIOSNAME.ROM" must have no more than 8 char's in first part of filename and no more than 3 char's in extender part, otherwise DOS will not recognise the command.

And note; the -4 -5 -6 command switches will force a flash regardless of any ID mismatches, so always just select to continue.

But obviously make sure you ONLY flash a AGP type card with a supporting AGP bios, and a PCI-E type card with a supporting PCI-E bios !!!!!

Arcrist
09-06-05, 04:51 AM
I have 2 Nvidia 4 6600gt pci express. Which directions should i do?

Also i went back and used the actual file name rather than file.rom like the retard that i am.

But same error none the less, cant open Asus.6600gt.pcie.128mb.rev.03.rom

My current bios version is: 5.43.02.69.68

These are the directions i followed:

GeForce 6 & 7 Flash Procedures.

- Flashing with nvFlash (nVidia) - Use nvFlash 5.13
Standard Procedure for 5.13: (flashing with 5.13 is recommended for the use with the 6x00 series NVIDIA cards, using the -4 switch forces flash and overrides vender mismatch)

1. a:nvflash -5 file.rom [Enter]

Standard Flash (same card, same firmware)

2. a:nvflash -5 -6 file.rom [Enter]

Standard Flash (same card, same firmware)

3. a:nvlfash -4 -5 -6 file.rom [Enter]

Force Flash (different model card, different firmware)

4. a:nvlfash -4 -5 -6 -a -y file.rom [Enter]

Automatic Force/Blind Flash (In case you screw up and cant see the screen - best to use this string for a autoexec.bat)

Roch
09-06-05, 06:24 AM
It could be that the name you are using has to many "." in it, i.e Asus"."6600gt"."pcie"."128mb"."rev"."03.rom. Just rename the bios file to "new.rom" and retry using the switches listed previously.

ALSO;

Remember to use the name "new.rom" within the flash procedure,
i.e "a:nvflash -5 new.rom", so that the instruction you're giving in NVflash matches the BIOS file name.

Those would be my guesses as to why it isn't working. Hope it helps.

Arcrist
09-06-05, 02:41 PM
Freakin awesome, it worked, saved me a 30 minute drive to intrex! Thanks dude!

Roch
09-07-05, 04:40 AM
No problem, glad it helped.

;)

OWA
09-07-05, 01:24 PM
Did the bios flash fix the SLI enable problem?