PDA

View Full Version : time for some common sense on xbox vs ps3

Pages : [1] 2 3

oldsk00l
09-05-05, 10:16 PM
In looking through some of the games slated:

Gears of War, Prey, Quake4, Condemned...

The xbox seems to be getting more FPS's, hopefully good ones at that.
But that seems to be what this is gearing for, that and the existing xbox live infrastructure tweaked a bit more for some extra perks.

Now look at the PS3, the kinds of games it's getting

Posessed, Killzone, MGS4, potentially GoW, no Prey, no Quake4. At least, not yet announced.

Kind of moot imho, because if they were, we're not seeing em until oh say spring/summer of '06.

What kinds of games am I into? FPS's, mainly, rpg's not really. Although Bioware seems to be in MS's corner. Kotor and Jade empire absolutely kicked some major ass. That, and lucasarts in general. I like lucasarts games too, republic commando.

What system seems good for me? That's obvious. All petty technical discussion aside, some people will like the RPG/puzzle games that PS3 will lean towards. Yeah it will have online play, but only after Sony sets up infrastructure. It won't be unified at first either, ala each game has its own infrastructure. At this point, I'm not expecting the graphics to one up the other for a very simple reason:

Development cost.

If a publisher/developer only has to utilize a certain "look and feel" they are going to go with the current standard, or shoot for a certain standard that they can compete with. You really think they are going to put the development $$ into an xbox title to max out the 360 if the other publishers still haven't reached the same quality on PS3?

No, model details, level geometry, will only be what it has to be to be viable on the new system. We saw the same happen with the xbox and the PS2. The far cry trailer just shows it all, as did Doom3 for xbox, that the full capabilities of the system were likely not tapped because of competence, but because of existing games on the market and what a developer had to do to be competitive.

So while we are splitting hairs over technical issues, it's all moot. I'm convinced to the point that I'd feel safe laying down cash in a bet, that when the PS3 launches, xbox 360 games will look every bit as good, and play every bit as good.

Which one plays better will be up to the devs, and hopefully that will be won by creativity and not wasted on fluid physics for how well a river flows for extra eyecandy.

That bit about it, I'm hardly being the optimist....

Mr. Hunt
09-05-05, 10:22 PM
Gears of War is third person...

oldsk00l
09-05-05, 10:27 PM
right, it's still one I'm looking forward to, hoping it doesn't suck

Mr. Hunt
09-05-05, 10:32 PM
Just wanted to make sure you (and others) knew that.

I am personally looking forward to the PS3 the most because a lot of very good developers will be moving to it and most of the games you mentioned are coming out for PC anyway. I will buy a X360 eventually... but right now I am just not seeing any "must have" exclusives...

And I agree the launch PS3 titles will look about the same as X360 games... but of course that will happen since the power hasn't been tapped... look at God of War and Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2... those are some GREAT looking games and I KNOW MGS4 is going to look amazing because Kojima and his team always do great stuff.

Again... and it isn't that I don't like FPS games... I love them... but I love them on PC the most.

slick
09-05-05, 11:28 PM
I think I should mention that Gears of War is an Xbox 360 exclusive.

The 360 is getting so much more then that.

-Gears of War
-Perfect Dark: Zero
-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
-Project Gotham Racing 3 (looks utterly kickass)
-Need For Speed: Most Wanted
-Quake 4
-Prey
-The Outfit
-Condemned
-Kameo
-Dead or Alive 4
-Dead Rising
-Ghost Recon 3: Advanced Warfighter
-Call of Duty 2
-Full Auto
-Frame City Killer
-Saint's Row
-Amped 3
-Top Spin 2
-FIFA 2k6
-NBA 2k6
-Final Fantasy XI
-Huxley
-King Kong
-Demonik
-Dark Sector
-Halo 3

And the list goes on. I am convinced that the 360 will be every bit as good, if not better then the massively hyped PS3. Both systems are insanely powerful, and it really is up to the developers now. They have the hardware to create beautiful worlds, lifelike AI, physics, and gameplay. It is all dependant which developers will utilize the systems best.

Mr. Hunt
09-05-05, 11:30 PM
And the only games that grab my attention there (Elder Scrolls 4, Quake 4, and Prey) are all coming out on PC... so like I said... nothing for me (as of yet).

slick
09-05-05, 11:36 PM
The only games I am 100% sure about getting are PGR3, Halo 3, Gears of War, and probably PD0.

I am considering Oblivion, Prey, and the Outfit, but only if they turn out to be exceptional games.

Mr. Hunt
09-05-05, 11:40 PM
I don't even know what Outfit and Demonik are though... going to go look for some screens (and maybe a trailer or something).

Bad_Boy
09-06-05, 12:54 AM
this thread was over before it started. not trying to be an ass or anything, but its way too early to decide on which console is better just yet.

but its not too early to have an opinion on which titles you are interested in, so i wont knock you for that.

personally im more interested in the ps3 titles as of now, for xbox360 im really only looking forward to gears of war, pgr, saint row(even though its an exact gta clone right down to the hud), and kameo.

i could say quake4, killing day, madden, prey, call of duty, fight night round 3, and def jam...but those will most likely be multi party(ps3/360/pc). doesnt make sense to compare consoles by titles if the titles are on both, unless they look dramatically different graphically i guess.

on the ps3...
tekken, mgs4, gt4(or vision gt as they call it now), killzone, dmc4(though the e3 trailer sucked ass), warhawk, motorstorm(omg!), heavenly sword, mobile suit gundam (could bandai actually make a good game? so far the graphics look amazing). i never was into eye toy, but the e3 demo of it makes it a little more interesting this time around. its not just the titles though for me, right now ps3 has more appealing features for me personally.

im sure my opinions will be altered a bit about a few titles after tgs2005, i really cant wait. :D

In looking through some of the games slated:
Gears of War, Prey, Quake4, Condemned...

Now look at the PS3, the kinds of games it's getting
Posessed, Killzone, MGS4, potentially GoW, no Prey, no Quake4. At least, not yet announced.

i beleive ps3 is getting Condemned also. and Possession is on xbox360 as well. feel free to correct me if im wrong on that.

prey and quake4 are on pc so i really dont count those unless ofcourse i can use the mouse and keyboard on ps3 or xbox :D

Mr. Hunt
09-06-05, 01:21 AM
Is Soul Calibur 3 still going to be PS3 exclusive? I think I remember reading that somewhere... I never cared for them though... but I know many people love them.

Vagrant Zero
09-06-05, 01:23 AM
I am an RPG *****. I'll give you all 1 guess as to which system I'm leaning towards :p

Nv40
09-06-05, 03:53 AM
on the ps3...
tekken, mgs4, gt4(or vision gt as they call it now), killzone, dmc4(though the e3 trailer sucked ass), warhawk, motorstorm(omg!), heavenly sword, mobile suit gundam (could bandai actually make a good game? so far the graphics look amazing). i never was into eye toy, but the e3 demo of it makes it a little more interesting this time around. its not just the titles though for me, right now ps3 has more appealing features for me personally.

prey and quake4 are on pc so i really dont count those unless ofcourse i can use the mouse and keyboard on ps3 or xbox :D

MotorSTorm MOtorStorm..!!!:D If that game look half as good as what i saw in the trailer and plays about the same.. im sold. it will be awesome to play that in multiplayer :) Also Warkhawk ,Heavenly Sword and perhaps FInal Fantasy.. Killzone too. Xbox360.. HAlo3 and Gears if War. there are more but those will be released in PC anyway. project offset should be awesome too it will be released for consoles too. :)

GamerGuyX
09-06-05, 04:13 AM
Is Soul Calibur 3 still going to be PS3 exclusive?

Uh not exactly. Although it is a PS2 exclusive. :p

Oh and I just have to say it, Condemned is my #1 most wanted game right now. :D

|MaguS|
09-06-05, 05:06 AM
I will get both but am going to wait on the x360 till they are available without a bundle, no console is worth $600 at release, I would only get a single game probably.

And yes, if PS3 is $600 also, I am going to wait...

Knot3D
09-06-05, 07:25 AM
TGS on Sept 16/17 : Metal Gear Solid 4 premier footage on PS3 ! :D

3rd person stealth and adventure games is what I like so I'm getting
PS3.

It's the most sensible thing to do ; choosing the console for it's type
of games.

Mr. Hunt
09-06-05, 09:38 AM
Uh not exactly. Although it is a PS2 exclusive. :p

Oh and I just have to say it, Condemned is my #1 most wanted game right now. :D

Lol... doh.

TGS on Sept 16/17 : Metal Gear Solid 4 premier footage on PS3 ! :D

3rd person stealth and adventure games is what I like so I'm getting
PS3.

It's the most sensible thing to do ; choosing the console for it's type
of games.

Yup... TGS is going to be awesome this year just for this footage... I know Kojima's team will do some amazing stuff and I can't freaking wait.

LiquidX
09-06-05, 11:30 AM
EGM seem to think many of those once exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry and Soul Calibur, etc., will end up on both consoles due to the higher cost of next gen games. If Namco, Square and the other big names just stick to PS3 this time around they may end up losing. That said I could careless about any game other then Perfect Dark Zero for the next few months. I really, really, really have I hope for the game being that it has been in developement for so long by many of the guys that made Golden Eye:cool:

|MaguS|
09-06-05, 11:44 AM
EGM seem to think many of those once exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry and Soul Calibur, etc., will end up on both consoles due to the higher cost of next gen games. If Namco, Square and the other big names just stick to PS3 this time around they may end up losing. That said I could careless about any game other then Perfect Dark Zero for the next few months. I really, really, really have I hope for the game being that it has been in developement for so long by many of the guys that made Golden Eye:cool:

The team behind Golden Eye nolonger works for rare, they moved on long ago. They are under the name Free Radical now, who makes Timesplitters (ever wonder why it sounds and plays so much like Goldeneye).

Mr. Hunt
09-06-05, 11:49 AM
The team behind Golden Eye nolonger works for rare, they moved on long ago. They are under the name Free Radical now, who makes Timesplitters (ever wonder why it sounds and plays so much like Goldeneye).

Yup... Free Radical is awesome too... I love the Time Splitter series... so much time wasted playing both matches with friends ;).

|MaguS|
09-06-05, 11:59 AM
Future Perfect is awsome, One of the best FPS games for the consoles. Can't wait to see what they pull off with the next round of systems.

Mr. Hunt
09-06-05, 12:01 PM
Yup... I even managed to deal with it being published by EA... something very hard for me to do.

The multiplayer characters in TS games have always been awesome and hilarious... nothing beats... THE SCHOAL!

LiquidX
09-06-05, 12:16 PM
It started so long ago I though many of the original guys form either Perfect Dark or Golden Eye had a role in it, oh well I am still looking forward to it. :cool:

|MaguS|
09-06-05, 12:22 PM
Every shot I see looks like a current gen, poor textures and low resolution. I hope its not a launch title, I loved the original but this one looks like it needs alot more time...

H3avyM3tal
09-06-05, 01:20 PM
Pictures can never tell what the final game will look like.
But with games like MGS4, GT5, TEKKEN and a whole lot more exclusives, plus oh so houpfully a remake for FF7 (Runs and hides), the PS3 is for me.

Never liked the games on XBOX, plus so many of them were on PC.

DaveW
09-06-05, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to make sure you (and others) knew that.

I am personally looking forward to the PS3 the most because a lot of very good developers will be moving to it and most of the games you mentioned are coming out for PC anyway. I will buy a X360 eventually... but right now I am just not seeing any "must have" exclusives...

Developers would favor the XB360 because of the development tools - Visual Studio and XNA which is next gen Direct X. Existing DX developers would have a very easy transition to the XB platform. Plus its easy to make FPS that work on the XB and the PC that way. Learning to dev for the PS3 on the other hand would be like learning French - a painful experience for what will be dead language in a few years.