PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Steam files

saturnotaku
09-06-05, 11:41 AM
I've been able to successfully register my old HL:GOTY CD-key with Steam and have been able to download all of the original Half-Life, its expansions and high definition pack. I'd like to put them onto a DVD-R so I don't have to mess with downloading them all over again should it become necessary. Is there any special trick to saving these files? Is it simply a matter of using Nero to copy them onto a disc? Any help is appreciated.

|MaguS|
09-06-05, 11:50 AM
Just copy them to the disk... The steam backup feature can sometimes be buggy.

superklye
09-06-05, 11:55 AM
Steam buggy?! No way man!

Mr_LoL
09-06-05, 02:41 PM
Steam buggy?! No way man!

:D

Ninjaman09
09-06-05, 02:49 PM
Just copy them to the disk... The steam backup feature can sometimes be buggy.
Too true. I did it once and the backed-up files froze once I got to the 4th disc. I was PISSED.

saturnotaku
09-06-05, 03:26 PM
Thanks, I was pretty sure a direct copy would be the way to go. As far as which ones to put on there, would it just be the .gcf files or are there others?

Nutty
09-06-05, 03:48 PM
Just the GCF files.

When you re-install steam, just copy the GFC files back, then launch steam and it'll restore all the stuff for ya.

agentkay
09-07-05, 06:50 PM
Do the GCF files also include the minor updates to the games, like HL2, or do I have to download them again?

anzak
09-07-05, 07:13 PM
Do the GCF files also include the minor updates to the games, like HL2, or do I have to download them again?

The GCF files are repackaged after every update. No, you will not have to update everything agian.