PDA

View Full Version : What changes between a boxed and a tray Cpu version?

Graphicmaniac
09-06-05, 08:38 PM
A my friend would like build up a new cheap pc, i told him to get a A64 3000+ Venice that costs 130 in the tray version and 1150-160 for the boxed one.
I have seen that the boxed has a fan into it so what i would know is:

the only difference between tray and boxed is the fan?
what should i get? tha tray or boxed?
is the tray a lower quality cpu?
is the warranty the same on both?

jAkUp
09-06-05, 08:46 PM
The only difference is the Fan, the box, and the warranty.

The retail has 3 year warranty. OEM has 1 year warranty.

toxikneedle
09-06-05, 08:57 PM

Don't forget the sticker jakup.

Starscream
09-06-05, 11:17 PM

My experience as a reseller is all the distributors I have access to in Ontario only offer a 30 day (at best) warranty on OEM cpu's and it's also been my experience that neither Intel or AMD will do any warranty work on OEM cpu's. So I don't sell them, heh.

jAkUp
09-06-05, 11:24 PM
My experience as a reseller is all the distributors I have access to in Ontario only offer a 30 day (at best) warranty on OEM cpu's and it's also been my experience that neither Intel or AMD will do any warranty work on OEM cpu's. So I don't sell them, heh.

Hmmm.. well here it is 1 year warranty for all OEM CPU's. Manufacture warranty.

CaptNKILL
09-06-05, 11:52 PM
This is what I have seen too... as far as I know NewEgg (my main source of parts) only has a 30 day warranty on OEM CPUs unless you buy an extended warranty. I would recommend buying a retail every time if its available. The heatsinks are decent, you get a warranty thats guaranteed to still be there in 3 years (unlike store warranties that vary and may or may not even be real) and you usually get a case sticker (heh, look around... they are worth a few dollars). Unless theres a giant price difference (15% or more) or you simply cant find the specific CPU you need, you should always go with retail. Especially with an A64 since the stock heatsinks are so nice (at least I think they are).

Graphicmaniac
09-07-05, 05:47 AM
ok thanks ;)

wheeljack12
09-07-05, 12:41 PM
He is right, most guys up here can only sell OEM with a 30-90 day warranty. That is why I got my fx55 from Monarch computers in Georgia. It came wiith a one year from Monarch then I paid like $20 US more for 3 years coverage on their extended warranty plan.

Kojiro
09-08-05, 11:26 PM
Be aware of counterfits too. OEM cpus could be counterfits. One example of processor counterfiting is physical (half assed) modifications of low model products to be sold as high level products. The product seal of quality that come with reatil boxes states "This seal proves that this product is a genuine AMD product". Even on AMD's site, they recomend retail because of counterfiting. This is true for intel processors as well. The only reason for OEM is mass deployment of processor upgrades for intranet workstations to corporate mainframes. These will be bought in bulk from a respectable reseller who gives product authenticity and support.

The retail version is designed for enthusiasts, or home and small businesses. they get the quality and product support you would expect from a retail product.

As for 3rd party coolers vs Stock. In AMD's case, I don't think it's nessasary. All you need to do is enable cool and quiet, and it will save you the 40 - 60 buck for a solution that is aimed to make you part with your money than be practical.