PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPod Nano Announced and iTunes 5

Pages : [1] 2 3

Clay
09-07-05, 02:50 PM
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

http://tinypic.com/dgjtp4.jpg

Nice :cool:

iTunes 5 is trickling down from Apple's servers...getting hammered bigtime it seems.

GlowStick
09-07-05, 02:56 PM
Wow, that is dam small!!!
Hm color screen, and decent price, may be intrested in this one.

oldsk00l
09-07-05, 03:01 PM
holy crap

wow

The mini replacement, this one's going to be a huge hit man......

|JuiceZ|
09-07-05, 03:05 PM
Ipod Nano is sweet but still no video Ipod? Rumor on the street is Cingular has an exclusive deal to bring an iTunes-enabled cell phone to the market the sync up to the Apple Music store over wireless :D Can't wait to play with iTunes 5 tonight :cool:

Thanks for the heads up Clay :thumbsup:

Clay
09-07-05, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I'm putting this sucker on my Christmas list. :D I have the 4GB iPod mini and I love it. There was a recent study (pdf link here (http://www.srgnet.com/pdf/375%20Tunes%20in%20My%20Pocket%20Release%20(Sep605-US-f).pdf)) showing that a high average of digital music players only have 375 songs on them. Here's a quote:Despite a relatively high average of 375 songs per player, 50% of digital music players hold fewer than 100 songs -- suggesting a perfect target for limited capacity mobile phone/digital music hybrids. A quarter of digital music players have 100-499 songs, while the remaining 25% have more than 500 songs.So...I suppose it makes sense why Apple went with 4GB as the max for the Nano. 4GB is more than enough for me, I usually have about 500MB~1GB free on mine at all times.

Anyone want to buy a very well kept, orignal packaging, unopened Apple earbuds, etc...silver iPod mini? :)

Ninjaman09
09-07-05, 03:11 PM
Whoa that's badass, I'm getting one!

Rakeesh
09-07-05, 03:19 PM
Ipod Nano is sweet but still no video Ipod? Rumor on the street is Cingular has an exclusive deal to bring an iTunes-enabled cell phone to the market the sync up to the Apple Music store over wireless :D Can't wait to play with iTunes 5 tonight :cool:

Seeing as this has a color LCD, if the processor is powerful enough, you could theoretically do a port/cross compile of an open sourced video player for it. If you could do that, and make this work as a USB mass storage (e.g. where you can just plug it in and drag and drop without the use of drivers) then I would get one myself. Plus while you are at it, you could add OGG, WMA, and FLAC support.

Doing the above would probably sacrifice itunes compatibility, but it wouldn't bother me as I really hate itunes.

UDawg
09-07-05, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up Clay :thumbsup:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/mobile/

JonathanM
09-07-05, 03:29 PM
Totally cool.

I was expecting their flash based player to be tiny, but the size of this thing just blows me away.

Rakeesh
09-07-05, 03:29 PM
Actually on second thought, this phone (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=632) does everything I mentioned above (including video playback and even video recording, as well as driverless usb mas storage) except it can't play OGG or FLAC (no big deal though,) for about $70 more so I probably wont get the ipod nano actually.

saturnotaku
09-07-05, 03:32 PM
Sanyo = :barf:

Clay
09-07-05, 03:35 PM
I kind of like having separate devices when it comes to phones (which I hate to begin with) and audio players (which I love). :) Convergence can be a double edged sword...with my luck I'd only get phone calls when I was using my phone-camera-audioplayer-kayak-kazoo-garagedooropener-kitchensink for something other than a phone. :D

Ninjaman09
09-07-05, 03:36 PM
I kind of like having separate devices when it comes to phones (which I hate to begin with) and audio players (which I love). :) Convergence can be a double edged sword...with my luck I'd only get phone calls when I was using my phone-camera-audioplayer-kayak-kazoo-garagedooropener-kitchensink for something other than a phone. :D
I feel the same way. I do not like this "convergence" thing that's going on. Stupid if you ask me.

Rakeesh
09-07-05, 03:46 PM
Well, with my sprint contract I am given a 3 year warranty on pretty much anything I own, contrast to the ipod which I think is only a 1 year warranty. Besides, this phone has a bigger screen too :D Plus the added convenience of it being driverless and the fact that I don't have to carry multiple items around. I already hate having a wallet, a phone, and a USB thumb drive, and a huge set of keys, let alone adding an MP3 player to that mix with only two pockets.

Sanyo = :barf:

Normally yes, but this phone has some extremely good ratings.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, the ipod warranty is technically one year, but more realistically 90 days, and even then you are allowed only one incident:

Your iPod comes with single incident telephone support for the first 90 days and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod to extend your service and support to two full years. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-certified technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple support or call 800-823-2775.

Bleh. I'll take the phone thank you.

shaker718
09-07-05, 04:01 PM
375%20Tunes%20in%20My%20Pocket%20Release%20(Sep605-US-f).pdf]pdf link here[/url]) showing that a high average of digital music players only have 375 songs on them. Here's a quote:So...I suppose it makes sense why Apple went with 4GB as the max for the Nano. 4GB is more than enough for me, I usually have about 500MB~1GB free on mine at all times.

It looks pretty cool but 4gb is just not enough in my case, this is why i went with a creative player since i could get a 30gb player and not spend 300 plus, I have a little under 3000 songs on mine and thats not counting my books on tape or the radio shows and plays I listen to.

Clay
09-07-05, 04:06 PM
It looks pretty cool but 4gb is just not enough in my case, this is why i went with a creative player since i could get a 30gb player and not spend 300 plus, I have a little under 3000 songs on mine and thats not counting my books on tape or the radio shows and plays I listen to.Yeah, everyone is different. I've found that I just don't need thousands and thousdands of songs on my person at all times. Most of the songs that I really like more than fit in 4GB as well as the podcasts (which I remove from my mini once listened to anyway). Now, audiobooks are something I'll start getting into more so that might change my storage needs a bit...although, those will be temporary like the podcasts too and will get cycled off my player eventually. Only my core set of songs is what I need permanently on my player.

six_storm
09-07-05, 04:18 PM
Wow, that is just impressive. Apple does it again!!! I didn't know that the Nano replaced the Mini though . . . Nice replacement though. BTW, the black one is just sexy :D

Ninjaman09
09-07-05, 04:19 PM
Yeah, everyone is different. I've found that I just don't need thousands and thousdands of songs on my person at all times. Most of the songs that I really like more than fit in 4GB as well as the podcasts (which I remove from my mini once listened to anyway). Now, audiobooks are something I'll start getting into more so that might change my storage needs a bit...although, those will be temporary like the podcasts too and will get cycled off my player eventually. Only my core set of songs is what I need permanently on my player.
Same here, I've been looking to switch to a flash-based player because of this. My 20g iPod is nice but there's just a ton of empty space on it and it's kinda bulky. I was thinking of selling it and grabbing an iPod mini but then this thing came out and my decision was made rather easily. :D

zoomy942
09-07-05, 04:39 PM
i am all about less devices that do more at a time

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1362

|JuiceZ|
09-07-05, 04:54 PM
http://www.apple.com/itunes/mobile/

Crapeth! and I just bought the SMT-5600 too, o well. :p

zoomy942
09-07-05, 05:02 PM
Crapeth! and I just bought the SMT-5600 too, o well. :p

trust me, you are better off with that Windows OS on your phone. there isnt anything it cant do:)

six_storm
09-07-05, 08:08 PM
trust me, you are better off with that Windows OS on your phone. there isnt anything it cant do:)

I'd really hate to see a blue screen on my cell phone, thank you very much. :D

Sazar
09-08-05, 12:16 AM
I'd really hate to see a blue screen on my cell phone, thank you very much. :D

Since there is nothing that it can't do, rest assured it can achieve blue screens too :cool:

FierceDeityLink
09-08-05, 06:45 PM
The iPod Nano is very enticing, especially for $230 at the Apple Education store...

The whole iTunes phone seems half-baked. Most recent Motorolas can already play MP3s, and a few go as far as to have MicroSD/Transflash slots. Podcasts are nice, but I'd really like to see a portable device capable of playing Shoutcast streams (i.e.: the PSP or cell phones with data plans).

TierMann
09-08-05, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I'm putting this sucker on my Christmas list. :D I have the 4GB iPod mini and I love it. There was a recent study (pdf link here (http://www.srgnet.com/pdf/375%20Tunes%20in%20My%20Pocket%20Release%20(Sep605-US-f).pdf)) showing that a high average of digital music players only have 375 songs on them. Here's a quote:So...I suppose it makes sense why Apple went with 4GB as the max for the Nano. 4GB is more than enough for me, I usually have about 500MB~1GB free on mine at all times.

Anyone want to buy a very well kept, orignal packaging, unopened Apple earbuds, etc...silver iPod mini? :)

That's interesting though. I'm still using my Archos JBM (20gb) with 2,500 songs (takes up about 10.5gb's) and the rest I use for portable storage. My gf just got a Zen Xtra 60gb and she filled up about 15gb's so far with hundreds of cd's left to convert, plus she hasn't moved the Napster DRM stuff onto it yet, heh. I guess that's music freaks though. We gotta have everything on there. The little nano's are neat, but not enough space cause we can never decide what to leave out.