PDA

View Full Version : A7N8X w/1900+ ??

thegamedisturb
12-26-02, 04:48 PM
Yeah realistically how much of a benefit would I see from upgrading my A7V266 to the Nforce2? Also is the integrated sound better then an Audigy? Thanks for the help.

pelly
12-26-02, 05:10 PM
Hey man....unfortunately, your short and simple question has a very long and somewhat complicated answer...

Consider the upgrade to an nForce2 solution:
Here, we find the support for AGP8X, SATA, RAID, FireWire, SPDIF for digital audio, 333MHz FSB Athlon XP processors, as well as the infamous dual-channel DDR400 memory architecture. In this respect, the nForce2 motherboards prove to be a viable long-term solution as all the latest and greatest features are supported and incorporated. I think the upgrade is well-worth it, especially if you don't want to pay through the nose for the Athlon 64 systems when they first come out...

As for the sound comparison...that is difficult to say because each nForce2 mobo vendor seems to have a different setup for the sound hardware. A lot of vendors are diabling the onboard Doly Digital sound in favor of an inferior ( in my opinion ) C-Media chipset. Comparing the C-Media to the Audigy...I'd say things are close....with a slight edge to the Audigy...Certainly a win if its the Audigy 2....However, those vendors using the onboard Dolby-Digital sound have ( again, in my opinion ) the best sound option on the market...beating either Audigy and anything else available...

Hope that helps.... :D

anxdiety
12-26-02, 06:34 PM
Well if i had the basic outline to write a review i would just to have the only low end cpu A7N8X-deluxe cpu pairing review out there. I just moved from an Abit kt7a-r to the nforce2 board. I've only got one stick of crucial pc2700 in it right now. So i couldn't cover the dual channel end of things on this cpu yet. BUT my impressions so far is that is sooo well worth the upgrade. I replaced my sound blaster live value with onboard sound who's quality made my speakers sound new again. Nice crisp clear sound in comparison. I also notice improvements in the general things such as Memory speed and disk loading since my kt7a only had ata 100 ports. the ata 133 is a nice added bonus. Just as pelly said above its also a great investment for the next year or so since it already supports the 333 fsb athlons that are out and should be fully supporting the barton's when they make their arrival later this year. Supposedly the Epox board already has the Cpu id's for the barton chips in its bios. SO it would only be a matter of a flash to go to the latest and greatest at the end of next year.

thegamedisturb
12-26-02, 06:35 PM
Alright so I guess switching for the sound is out...but what about general performance increases? Gaming specifically.

anxdiety
12-26-02, 11:18 PM
just ran a few test benchies for fun. Not too hardly tweaked out or anything. Round 1 was a measly 8800k in 3dmark. That is regular default fsb and a 166 memory bus. Then i reduced the multiplyer on my t-bird and ran it in sync with the memory at 1333 and instantly scored 9705. Then i overclocked my vid card and finally broke 10 000. The highest i had ever gotten on my old board was somewhere in the 8600 range. That was with my vid card and cpu overclocked. (cpu1433) so to see it beat my old scores easily without the overclocking is justice enough for me. Mine you my proc is older than yours so you should definitely see a better improvement. I think i am gonna shoot and see if this ram can handle 200 fsb and lower the mulitplyer some more even and see if i can break 11 000 in 3dmark.

thegamedisturb
12-27-02, 09:53 AM
Well I don't have an unlocked processor as seeing AXP's are a bitch to unlock, So I'm thinking I'll just go with the vanillla A7N8X, no deluxe for me hahaha.

pelly
12-27-02, 09:55 AM
Just so you know, you'll be missing out on the Dolby Digital sound of the Deluxe...in addition to the other features such as SATA...

A big jump in price...but in my mind, its worth it...

Regardless, I'm sure you'll love whichever model you pick...

:D

Cotita
12-27-02, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by pelly

As for the sound comparison...that is difficult to say because each nForce2 mobo vendor seems to have a different setup for the sound hardware. A lot of vendors are diabling the onboard Doly Digital sound in favor of an inferior ( in my opinion ) C-Media chipset. Comparing the C-Media to the Audigy...I'd say things are close....with a slight edge to the Audigy...Certainly a win if its the Audigy 2....However, those vendors using the onboard Dolby-Digital sound have ( again, in my opinion ) the best sound option on the market...beating either Audigy and anything else available...

Hope that helps.... :D

The only difference between the MCP-T and MCP audio is the Dolby digital encoding. Even more most motherboards have the MCP-T but some have the digital out disabled, like the Asus A7N8X and the chaintech board

The C-media chip does absolutely nothing but route the MCP/MCP-T audio to the connectors. So you still have 5.1 sound with full hardware acceleration. The only thing lacking is dolby digital encoding which is really useless unless you already have an external decoder or planning to get one.

pelly
12-27-02, 01:17 PM
For the inside scoop on the A7N8X, take a look at our review (http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=Mzk0)

You have to realize that the CMedia is a PCI-based solution...outside the Southbridge ( more latency ). Aside from the lack of Dolby Digital support...you also lack the SoundStorm driver support. Here, you lose a great deal of functionality and adjustability...in addition to the ease of a one-driver solution which makes life a bit easier.

At this time, I am working with Chaintech to solve some issues we're having with the optical out ( SPDIF ) on their 7NJS mobo when using a 5.1 channel speaker system. I'll post some details once we learn more...

Hope this helps...

:D

Cotita
12-27-02, 02:57 PM
The Asus board reviewed in hard ocp is actually a A7N8X deluxe right?

pelly
12-28-02, 01:03 AM
Correct... :D

ASCI Blue
12-28-02, 02:14 AM
Unless I'm mistaken a hd won't use ATA 133 to it's full ability unless it too is an ATA 133 drive. Correct?

anxdiety
12-28-02, 04:17 AM
in case you were wondering yes my hd's are ata133 drives that were just stuck on an old mobo that only had support up to 100 ata speeds

rbishop
12-28-02, 09:26 AM
I went from a Asus A7V266-E to a A7N8X Deluxe and don't regret it at all. You will want to have your XP1900 unlocked to get the best overclock. The A7N8X Deluxe is also more future proof than the A7V266.