PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Still Freezing with 78.03!

Vamp
09-07-05, 03:06 PM
I downloaded the 78.03 Beta drivers to upgrade from 66.93, overclocked as normal and set my fast writes to disabled with Rivatuner, yet although I've noticed a bit of a performance increase, I'm still getting those random freezes! Is this possibly because RivaTuner doesn't support these driver and therefore doesn't properly disable fastwrites? Should I disable fastwrites in Bios as well?

J-Mag
09-07-05, 03:20 PM
normally newer Rev drivers fix problems in newer cards. I doubt they are changing much on the AGP side of things, so don't expect drivers to solve your problem.

Random Freezes are so non-specific anyway. It could be alot of things...

Vamp
09-07-05, 03:26 PM
Yeah, but before my disabling fastwrites totally cleared the problem :/

Oh well, back to 66.93 I think.

J-Mag
09-07-05, 03:29 PM
Yeah, but before my disabling fastwrites totally cleared the problem :/

Oh well, back to 66.93 I think.

Yeah stick with drivers of your Card's generation unless there is an app specific bug that needs to be resolved.

The 77 and 78 series drivers just tend to fix SLI and 7 series probs, I am sure there are bugs in the 6 series which get ironed out still but not nearly as many as SLI and 7 series.

fatal1ty
09-07-05, 03:30 PM
I downloaded the 78.03 Beta drivers to upgrade from 66.93, overclocked as normal and set my fast writes to disabled with Rivatuner, yet although I've noticed a bit of a performance increase, I'm still getting those random freezes! Is this possibly because RivaTuner doesn't support these driver and therefore doesn't properly disable fastwrites? Should I disable fastwrites in Bios as well?

Try without the overclock maybe?
I dont see anyone with random freezing as a common problem.

Acid Rain
09-07-05, 03:39 PM
Yeah stick with drivers of your Card's generation unless there is an app specific bug that needs to be resolved.This is decent logic. In fact, if the 67.66 supported triple buffering like the 77+ series I'd still be using them. Fast, stable, and the finest IQ I've seen. Hell, I might even put them back on.

Try without the overclock maybe?
I dont see anyone with random freezing as a common problem.
It's only common for those who OC, usually on the nforce 3 setups.

For me, that small performance increase would not be worth the random pauses, or worth going back to the lower IQ 66.93s.

j0j081
09-07-05, 04:04 PM
What's your system specs anyway?

Demanufakture
09-07-05, 04:23 PM
It almost seems as if nvidia is letting this random freeze bug on nforce3/geforce 6800 rigs persist so that we will all eventually get tired of it and upgrade to an nforce4/pci express gpu. This is just an opinion of mine and not based on any facts except the fact that nvidia is obviously not concerned about this bug. Unless I suddenly become rich(I wish) I will not be building an entirely new system any time soon. I feel like the New Orleans mayor on this issue"Get up off your asses and lets do something about it!" Nvidia! :mad:

Slammin
09-07-05, 05:58 PM
Seems kinda illogical to blame Nvidia when the problem clearly seems to be a specific chipset issue.

smthmlk.
09-07-05, 06:30 PM
Seems kinda illogical to blame Nvidia when the problem clearly seems to be a specific chipset issue.

errr.... the chipset (Nvidia nforce3) and the graphics card (Nvidia 6800's) are both made by Nvidia. I think it might be ok to blame them for this one ;)

Unless you were referring to something else?

MidnightWatcher
09-07-05, 10:45 PM
I'm going back to ATI.

acrh2
09-08-05, 07:43 AM
Does nvidia acknowledge that there's some kind of a random freezing bug with nf3/nv40? This sounds made up.

fatal1ty
09-08-05, 09:41 AM
Does nvidia acknowledge that there's some kind of a random freezing bug with nf3/nv40? This sounds made up.

I never had any problems. then again I wasn't oc'ing my video card :rolleyes:

Demanufakture
09-08-05, 11:24 AM

According to an email that a user of this forum recieved from BFG tech. , yes Nvidia is aware of it and are working on a fix. The fix is just not nvidias priority right now. I suspect the bug might end up being fixed in the 80 series driver. I hope. Of course I am not affected by this bug right now because I have agp fastwrites off but if I turn them on the freezing will come back. This is a real bug, look up the many posts about it. I don't oc my card either but that is the problem. I have a bfg 6800 gt oc. Its already OC'd. The problem lies in the 7x.xx series drivers. This bug was introduced when they started showing up. Back in the 6x.xx days I always had agp fastwrites on without ever having any problems. With the first 7x.xx driver and on I have to turn off agp fastwrites to avoid this bug.

Vamp
09-08-05, 03:21 PM
Thing is that the even with fastwrites off, I get the freezes with the 77 series stuff...Do Fastwrites actually make a performance difference?

Demanufakture
09-08-05, 03:43 PM
Thing is that the even with fastwrites off, I get the freezes with the 77 series stuff...Do Fastwrites actually make a performance difference?

Not really. I never noticed a difference with on or off.