PDA

View Full Version : Switching from single core to an X2

thor1182
09-07-05, 04:17 PM
For those that have upgraded, has anybody not reinstalled windows afterwards? And if so have they had any problems.

I'm have a problem where after its been idle for awhile (monitor has been shut off), and come back 3D apps will lock the computer up. As soon as I restart it, it is ok. I know its not my GPU overclocks because it was doing it recently after I upgraded vid drivers and hadn't OCed my GPU's yet.

top3koms
09-07-05, 04:23 PM
I switched from single to dual core and I haven't re-installed yet ,I haven't had any problems yet either.I think you just have to make sure you uninstall the AMD processor driver for single core and install the one for dual core cpu's.

thor1182
09-07-05, 07:14 PM
Done that already. Had to get it from the AMD website, but I have a cool and quiet that correctly changes the clocks

TierMann
09-08-05, 01:56 AM
I didn't do a fresh install and everything ran fine except for the random lock ups.
I figured I'd do a fresh install and see what happens, but same results. I tried a new PSU and the same thing happend. Finally I just said the heck with it and installed XP 64 to see how things go. Now I havn't had any trouble.

As for what was causing it, I have no idea. I tried video/chipset/audio drivers, an install with just drivers and 1 game (GuildWars) and still happend in 32bit. But if this setup wants to run fine in 64bit, then whatever, heh.

There's actually a thread around here someplace with all the fun times I had.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54948
There we go. Although I was switching from 32bit to 64bit X2, maybe there's something in there you havn't thought of.

Riptide
09-08-05, 09:08 AM
Just installed an X2 yesterday. So far no problems... No reinstall of Windows either. It detected the new CPU was installed, loaded ACPI multiprocessor support, and that was it. Didn't have to reload a single driver.

thor1182
09-08-05, 04:31 PM
with my system there are soooo many variables of whats wrong. It could have been the X2, it could be the OC of both the CPU , and memory, it could be the GPU's OC. Driver screw up.......... Could even be an issue with my RAID, or complicaitons caused by my SLi, or BIOS issues.

I do know that after I come back, and bring it out of "sleep", 2D works fine, and gpuburn works in a small minimized window. As so as I try to maximize it, it says not enough video memory........

So I went to my global driver settings and turned global NV app settings from dual GPU to single, dunno if that will help or not.

I guess a good thing of the setup I do have is I have a way of ghosting my current install, redo an install and see what happens. If there is no real change, I can restore back to me ghosted setup.