PDA

View Full Version : New Elder Scrolls IV Interview

Pages : [1] 2

Subtestube
09-07-05, 04:45 PM
The Devs have had an interview with the 'fan community', so if you're looking for more info on this upcoming game, this is probably your next port of call.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149722

CaptNKILL
09-07-05, 08:09 PM
Wow, awesome interview :thumbsup:

Rytr
09-07-05, 09:20 PM
Nice interview! Game is shaping up to be really something... :)

jolle
09-08-05, 04:24 AM
Argh.. must.. resist.. reading..
I really want to get into this game without knowing everything prehand, but its really hard to look away from all info, interviews etc..
I want suprises!

gram_vaz
09-08-05, 04:28 AM

GamerGuyX
09-08-05, 04:37 AM

It works for me.

gram_vaz
09-08-05, 08:27 AM
i was using firefox. works in ie now. must've been one of the extensions i was using that was screwing something up.

msxyz
09-08-05, 10:31 AM
Go to www.waiting4oblivion.com if that link doesn't work.

I submitted a couple of questions too but they didn't made their way into the final twenty-four submitted. I must have that game!
:drooling:

Rytr
09-08-05, 04:49 PM
From the interview most were directed at things they have improved from MW except for the part about the use of horses. There could still be plenty of surprises.:)

S.I.N
09-08-05, 07:27 PM
Have they said if you can kill animals for food in this?

Mr. Hunt
09-08-05, 07:28 PM
I just hope I don't see "Loading" every 20 steps...

CaptNKILL
09-08-05, 08:15 PM
Man whens the last time you posted something positive in a thread? Jeez... :p

Mr. Hunt
09-08-05, 08:24 PM
Don't get me wrong... I loved morrowind... I just got tired of the constant loading. And since horses are supposed to be faster... it would mean loading even more often... and I hate loading a bunch :(.

CaptNKILL
09-08-05, 08:48 PM
Don't get me wrong... I loved morrowind... I just got tired of the constant loading. And since horses are supposed to be faster... it would mean loading even more often... and I hate loading a bunch :(.
After some tweaks and getting a faster system the loading points are much less frequent and much less noticeable. I agree it is a bit anoying, but for any game that size there isnt much way around it when you have seamless outdoor areas with so much detail.

This is a totaly new engine btw, so I've been keeping my fingers crossed that they have zero similarities... and Im dead serious, there wasnt a single thing from the last engine that I would want carried to this new one. It sucked ;)

Mr. Hunt
09-08-05, 09:46 PM
Heh... well I wish they would do it where it just loads on the fly nonstop... at least have bigger "zones" or whatever... I am ok with loading... I just want way less of it...

Acid Rain
09-08-05, 11:06 PM
Have they said if you can kill animals for food in this?Yes, you can, and while eating is not required, it will boost stats. Which stats, I do not know. They must have meant health and fatigue, perhaps even a temporary boost to the strength modifier, but they didn't say.

msxyz
09-09-05, 02:43 AM
What I hated more in Morrowind was the constant loading (which trashes performance because, after disk access, all caches are invalidated). In the end I opted for using the trick "NoThreadedLoaing" in the config. A stop every 30 seconds was better than having the game stuttering all time. Also, Bethesda employed a back to front rendering for Morrowind which is quite dumb because it kills performance since it makes the Zbuffer (and every Z optimization) useless as well.

I hope they don't repeat the same mistakes !

Looking at the past TES games, they're excellent in concept but with a somehow poor implementation, part due to the hardware limits for such ambitious projects, part due to ingenuity/error of judgements from the developers.

Nutty
09-09-05, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I didn't get stuttering in Morrowind, but the constant pauses while it loaded new data (especially if you were running fast) annoyed me a lot.

I'd have definitely sacrificed a few frames, if it meant no long pauses. I hope Oblivion has worked around this.

Rytr
09-09-05, 09:20 AM
I put a lot of time in MW, like many MW addicts did. If you did not experience some stuttering in the cities with MW you had a really fast card and system for the time. Wasn't too bad with a 8500 on a 1.5 GHz system but it was there. The 9500 Pro took care of it for me.
As far as load times, that was a problem in Bloodmoon as you many times had more than one jump you when you went from one area to another. It was fast enough with the 9800 Pro and 5950 Ultra and almost unnoticeable with the 6800 GT and X800 Pro. I have not tried it with the GTX but I suspect it will not be noticeable and the same could probably be said with the XT-PE, but I don't have one. I plan to check it out before Oblivion comes out with the GTX.
The only problem I could not resolve was the problems when trying to use shadows so I just kept them turned off. Apparently, that problem had to do with the game's engine. Don't think the ATI Catalyst guys were ever able to correct it with the drivers. The engine was not on par with what is available now and arguably what was available when the game came out. Still, the game was a big leap forward for RPG'ers.

Superfly
09-09-05, 09:26 AM

go away

CaptNKILL
09-09-05, 09:47 AM
I still have Morrowind installed... it looks amazing with some texture packs and better bodies\heads plugins. And Morrowind FPS Optimizer is a SWEET program, I cant play the game without it any more.

Also, Morrowind was soooo CPU dependant its insane. I didnt have much improvement in speed going from a 9600 Pro to a 6800GT, but when I got my 3000+ overclocked to 2.5Ghz (from an Athlon XP at 2Ghz), my framerates tripled in cities. I can use Morrowind FPS Optimizer to have about 3x the normal draw distance in Balmora (ie, from one side of the city to the other) and get 30-40fps at 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 16xAF. Anyone who has played this game since it came out knows thats pretty damned impressive ;)

Toss3
09-09-05, 10:23 AM
I still have Morrowind installed... it looks amazing with some texture packs and better bodies\heads plugins. And Morrowind FPS Optimizer is a SWEET program, I cant play the game without it any more.

Also, Morrowind was soooo CPU dependant its insane. I didnt have much improvement in speed going from a 9600 Pro to a 6800GT, but when I got my 3000+ overclocked to 2.5Ghz (from an Athlon XP at 2Ghz), my framerates tripled in cities. I can use Morrowind FPS Optimizer to have about 3x the normal draw distance in Balmora (ie, from one side of the city to the other) and get 30-40fps at 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 16xAF. Anyone who has played this game since it came out knows thats pretty damned impressive ;)
Some piccies maybe? (there should be a "This post is wothless without Pictures!: smily) btw. is this game coming out for xbox360 o ps3? Cuz' I think my computer would melt if I tried to play this game, expecially now that I have a geforce2mx400! :D

Rytr
09-09-05, 10:35 AM
Some piccies maybe? (there should be a "This post is wothless without Pictures!: smily) btw. is this game coming out for xbox360 o ps3? Cuz' I think my computer would melt if I tried to play this game, expecially now that I have a geforce2mx400! :D

You can get a number of pics here (http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm).
It is being slated for XBox etc. A GF2 card may have difficulty with Oblivion, definitely will be limited, but we will not know exactly how it will perform until the game comes out.

marqmajere
09-09-05, 11:13 AM
I was really, really hoping for some sort of LAN multiplayer in this one. :(

CaptNKILL
09-09-05, 11:14 AM
You mean this? (w/opics)

And yeah, a Geforce 2 wont work for Oblivion, I guarantee it. Its not that itl just run slow, it doesnt support any features that the game will be using. Battlefield 2 doesnt even support anything lower than a Geforce *4*, let alone a Geforce 2, 3 or 4MX.

Its a shame really... some of those will still be "fast enough" for a while but they just lack the features that game designers want to use. Oh well... itl push the technology forward, so its all good.