PDA

View Full Version : My Upgrade Nightmare! Poor Motherboard Quality Control!

UberRN69
09-08-05, 01:18 AM
I recently went through an upgrade that started about 5 weeks ago, and ended up opening "Pandora's Upgrade Box" from hell.

I went from a: AthlonXP 3200, nForce2 Utlra, 1GB DDR400 (2x 512MB) Dual Channel RAM, SB Audigy, 120MB WD IDE HD, GeForce 6800 GT AGP, Antec 400W PSU. The system was completely stable, hadn't seen a BSOD in 2-3 years.

But, I thought I would jump on the PCI-e bandwagon and upgrade to a: Athlon64 3500, nForce 4 SLI/Ultra (I'll explain in a bit) MB, 1GB DDR400 (2x 512 from old system) Dual Channel, SB X-Fi, Hitachi 160MB HD SATA II x2 in RAID 0, with my old WD 120MB HD IDE as back-up, BFG Geforce 7800GT PCI-e, Antec NeoPower 480W PSU.

I got BSOD after BSOD, fatal errors, random reboots :mad:. I spare you the touble shooting details, but needless to say I spent 3 weeks before I finally got my system up and running. The culprit was my new motherboard (or motherboards)..... because I went through 4 of them :eek: :confused: :eek:

I was able to rule everything out on the rest of my hardware (ie: testing on other systems, on my old setup, even bought other HD's, PSU's and video cards). No matter what I did I kept getting the same problems... BSOD's and random reboots :mad:.

So I started to switch out the MB's. My first board was a AOpen nForce 4 Ultra -RMA'd it back. Then I got a Albatron nForce4 Ultra, it was also bad, so I sent it back. About this time I was getting tired of waiting for the turn around from Newegg, so I bought a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI from a local reseller it was also bad :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ...and before anyone asks, I did update the MB BIOS's in all cases... didn't fix a thing.

After going through my third MB, I was thinking "there is no way I could get that many bad MB's in a row, it has't to be something else". The only hardware I hadn't ruled out was my CPU (Athlon64 3500 -Venice core). I thought I would try one last time (my forth) to change out my MB (returning my CPU would take too long -RMA there -wait for the new one). I exchanged for the exact same MB, a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro SLI. AT LAST :o :o :o :o IT WORKED!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:. It's been 2 weeks, and not one BSOD or reboot or anything!! Of course I had to return all sorts of hardware from all my troulble shooting to the local BestBuy's and CompUSA's.

Which brings me to wonder, how many people out there are posting rants and raves about "bad drivers", etc, etc, and it's just their MB? And also... are MB munfacture's QA that bad, that I would have to go through 3 MB, just to find one good one?

Saintster
09-08-05, 08:42 AM
That's why I only use ASUS boards.They might be huge overclockers but I have yet to build a new rig and have and problems it's intstall and go!

jAkUp
09-08-05, 10:31 AM
Yea... ASUS usually are good as far as quality, but if your looking for Overclocking, I wouldn't go ASUS. Also, my A8N-SLI board did die on me :) Although, I have owned 2 other ASUS boards that worked perfectly.

Superfly
09-08-05, 10:59 AM
im going ASUS in about 2 hours - "crosses everything"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!