PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Computer problem HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

bonchez
09-08-05, 09:48 PM
I usually overclock my AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (defualt 2.08GHz) at about 2.13GHz. My games kept crashing to the desktop and my computer kept restarting. So, I decided to move to clock speed lower. I save the settings and exited the Bios. The computer automatically restarted and it stayed as a black screen. And ever since then whenever I turn on my main computer it stays as a black screen. I just don't understand why lowering the CPU clock speed would cause this, but it did. So can someone please help me, I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and the rest of my specs are in my sig.

Thank you.

Clay
09-08-05, 09:52 PM
Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

bonchez
09-08-05, 10:06 PM
No, how do you do this?

zoomy942
09-08-05, 10:18 PM
theres a jumper usually near the battery on your mobo, labled CMOS or CLEAR CMOS.. just swith the jumper to the other pins (either turn your pc on or wait 10 seconds, all mobos are different). then put it back how it was

if that doesnt work, take your battery of your mobo and wait about a minute

CaptNKILL
09-08-05, 10:25 PM
Yeah, make sure its unplugged, then clear the CMOS. Check your motherboard and video card for blown capacitors too (they will either look fat or the ends will be split or oozing). They look like little batteries with flat ends.

Check your heatsinks for dust clogs too. Check fans to make sure they spin properly...

Make sure your monitor is connected securely too... sounds dumb, but youd be surprised :p

bonchez
09-08-05, 10:27 PM
I turned off the computer, unplugged it, switched the pins, put the pins back after 10 seconds, turned the computer back on. STILL A BLACK SCREEN. And no, none my the capatisors are broken.

Clay
09-08-05, 10:39 PM
ok
but can you tell what to do step by step.
Do you have your motherboard manual? It will tell you all you need to know. Different motherboards handle clearing the CMOS differently than other motherboards.

bonchez
09-08-05, 10:54 PM
I love you guys. I could give you a hug. J/k, it worked. Now I just have to change all my bios settings. I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ViN86
09-08-05, 11:09 PM
hehe, yea the older boards dont have the failsafe like the newer boards do, and will actually fail to post if your settings are off.

newer boards just seem to halt and tell you to enter and change CMOS settings, pretty cool imo

jAkUp
09-08-05, 11:12 PM
To clear the CMOS you can also just pull the battery out. That is usually how I do it anyways.

Clay
09-08-05, 11:25 PM
Glad to hear that worked for you...usually solves most problems like yours.

bonchez
09-09-05, 10:55 PM
Sigh, fixing that problem has led to another. I was able to clear the bios settings and get my computer working. Just as I was celebrating I ran into another problem. When I turn on my computer, everything starts up like normal, the windows XP loading bar comes on and when it's done the computer simply restarts. The computer isn't running any hotter then normal. Sometimes it will let login to windows and everything seems fine (My desktop loads up and everything) then it just restarts again. Sometimes it runs disk error check, it says there was curropt files and it deletes them, it restarts (a good restart that is) Then I get the same problem again. Sorry to ask this again but PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Clay
09-09-05, 10:59 PM
Have you tried starting in safe mode?

bonchez
09-09-05, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it restarts sometimes also.

Clay
09-09-05, 11:22 PM
Have your tried removing some of your memory? Narrow that down as a cause or not.

AnimasterZ
09-13-05, 04:02 PM
I had the same thing happen on my XP cpu. I had no real way to fix it because a bunch of windows system file were bad which caused to problem. XP has a system repair option on the OS cd. It will reinstall all of the system files for XP and leave the program files and documents etc. on the disk. Made my system functional again allowing me to remove the important files off of the HDD. I did a complete OS rubuild after removing the files. WARNING!!! sometimes the OS repair fails because a file that cannot be replaced is bad and at that point you are compleatly screwed and everything is lost. If you have any questions about how to do the repair just post a reply if you are interested. DO NOT use Automated System Recover, it just f's everything up. proceed like a new install and it will ask if you want to repair. Good Luck!

Nutty
09-13-05, 04:22 PM
WARNING!!! sometimes the OS repair fails because a file that cannot be replaced is bad and at that point you are compleatly screwed and everything is lost.

Yep, I used to get this on NTFS years ago. Its why I always used Fat32. If the security descriptors get messed up, theres nothing you can do to fix it.. Its crap.

zoomy942
09-13-05, 04:44 PM
wow. fat 32 . dont hear that anymore. :)

ViN86
09-13-05, 05:34 PM
id just backup and do a fresh install. thats what i always do when i have problems with windows (memory errors from incorrect timings/voltages and win xp on my s939 board FUBAR windows very nicely :( )