PDA

View Full Version : SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro Review

superklye
09-09-05, 09:35 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2518

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it was in my daily CPU Magazine email. I'll have to go through it once I get done with class.

Mr_LoL
09-09-05, 10:45 AM
Yes as Mr Fatality Wendel is marketing this card i shall buy it because it will make me become a worldwide gaming champion :rolleyes:

superklye
09-09-05, 01:16 PM
I kind skimmed things and the X-Fi cards seem to be very impressive. Now, if only the Elite Pro wasn't $400. :(

OWA
09-09-05, 02:04 PM
I kind skimmed things and the X-Fi cards seem to be very impressive. Now, if only the Elite Pro wasn't $400. :(
Why do you want the Elite Pro instead of the gaming version? Isn't it tailored for musicians?

|JuiceZ|
09-09-05, 02:06 PM
Why do you want the Elite Pro instead of the gaming version? Isn't it tailored for musicians?

they're both overpriced IMHO...

superklye
09-09-05, 02:16 PM
Because I have a problem that I always want the baddest and best, even if there is no reason to have it.

However, I DO play guitar and would much rather have a soundcard and guitar input in one rather than having to buy separate hardware for each.

lumpyhed
09-09-05, 02:53 PM
Because I have a problem that I always want the baddest and best, even if there is no reason to have it..

At least yer honest about it :D

OWA
09-09-05, 02:53 PM
However, I DO play guitar and would much rather have a soundcard and guitar input in one rather than having to buy separate hardware for each.
Ah, okay. I was just making sure there wasn't some gaming reason for getting one.

they're both overpriced IMHO...
Yeah, but if the headphone support is as good as some have been saying it'll be well worth it to me. I wear headphones almost exclusively now. I considered getting the cheaper music verison (the one they're selling at Best Buy now) but I'm afraid some game will take advantage of the onboard memory the gaming version has and not having it may cause a fps hit.

superklye
09-09-05, 02:54 PM
At least yer honest about it :D
But seriously...are you a tech geek if you DON'T always want to have the most extreme, badass stuff in your computer?

Like that Venturi guy who has dual opterons and dual 7800GTXs with 16GB of RAM and 2TB of storage...who DOESN'T want that?

muaddib
09-09-05, 03:03 PM
Because I have a problem that I always want the baddest and best, even if there is no reason to have it.

*cough* The Fatal1ty model IS the baddest and best, at least in the gaming category. :rolleyes:

superklye
09-09-05, 03:42 PM
*cough* The Fatal1ty model IS the baddest and best, at least in the gaming category. :rolleyes:
Maybe in gaming, but overall, I would think that there is a reason that a card is $400 for a reason...it comes with more/has more features.

Hell, I want them both. 14.2 anyone?

Drumphil
09-10-05, 07:00 AM
I'd say the best features of the new chip are the hub architecture, and the SRC system.. they have implemented as close to a perfect system as I can imagine this time round. None of the compromises of the old emu10k based designs.

I hope the KX project guys make some drivers for this.. I would love to play around with the DSP a bit. I'm mainly interested in what I can do for realtime headphone mixes with effects, doing recording at home.

(I wonder if EMU will use this chip in a new synth or sampler... that would be interesting)

DSC
09-10-05, 09:11 AM
If you buy the Fatal1ty, you're stupid. The cheapest X-Fi is the same card 100% as the Platinum and the Fatal1ty, except the Fatal1ty has 64MB RAM instead of 2MB RAM on the Xtrememusic. Only the Elite Pro is worth spending money on, since it has the best DACs from Cirrus Logic, CS4398 DAC. The Elite Pro has the best sound quality among the X-Fis.

But as usual for Creative, their drivers are so buggy. :D

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Forum22&Number=151033&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=30

Speaking of which, here's a cute snippit from the FB2K developers:

<DEATH> and waveout would be just fine if x-fi [censored] didn't explode instead
<DEATH> i patched fading dsound code to comply with new schemes by now
<Vicki> exploding x-fi?
<kode54> yes vicki
<DEATH> not gonna bother with that for a while
<kode54> check this
<DEATH> Vicki: x-fi drivers are massively buggy
<kode54> x-fi waveout position reporting is buggy
<DEATH> 0.8.3 waveout code breaks
<kode54> yes
<kode54> at the end of the stream
<DEATH> so did 0.9 waveout in internal build
<Vicki> nice
<kode54> the code freezes waiting for buffer position to indicate that it's finished

Nutty
09-10-05, 09:45 AM
Meh!
Its like ATI, nice hardware shame about the drivers :D

SoundStorm2 cant get here quick enuff imo.

jAkUp
09-10-05, 11:29 AM
Does soundstorm have 64mb for sound??!! Bring on the Fatal1ty :D

But Mr. Superkyle, I'm a geek and never want the biggest and baddest...
*looks at sig*

Wait, nevermind :o

overheat
09-10-05, 11:41 AM
^^^ that cpu...........not the biggest and baddest or latest

just kidding when ar you getting that X2 jakup?

jAkUp
09-10-05, 11:50 AM
I dunno man :( All I know is that my 3500+ sucks my left nut, possibly even the right one :p. A bunch of expenses came up and I may be forced to hold off for a few months.

My main priority is getting my ram back from OCZ though...\

Have you tried OC'ing your 4400+?

Nutty
09-10-05, 12:05 PM
Does soundstorm have 64mb for sound??!! Bring on the Fatal1ty
No games ever needed it yet. I dont think onboard RAM for sound is particularly worth it. If SSII is build into the chipset it'll have plenty of low latency bandwidth to main RAM anyway. The only reason X-Fi uses it, is becauses its better than going across the PCI bus.

jAkUp
09-10-05, 12:08 PM
I certainly wouldn't want an onboard sound solution using my main memory :) In the same way we don't want video cards using precious onboard memory. Not to mention spooling to ram is slower than an onboard solution.

superklye
09-10-05, 12:12 PM
Does soundstorm have 64mb for sound??!! Bring on the Fatal1ty :D

But Mr. Superkyle, I'm a geek and never want the biggest and baddest...
*looks at sig*

Wait, nevermind :o
Heh, you're definitely the biggest one here...I mean, you had GTXs like a few days before they were released, didn't you? You're a king among men, jAk. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

And is there really a soundstorm2 coming?

Mr_LoL
09-10-05, 12:15 PM
I read somewhere that using an onboard soundcard can cut your fps by as much as 10 per second.

Nutty
09-10-05, 12:17 PM
I certainly wouldn't want an onboard sound solution using my main memory
Jakup, even with the X-FI's onboard RAM, samples will still be held in system memory, for when the X-FI flushes out for other samples. You could theoretically upload audio to the X-FI, and release it in main RAM. But all you'd gain is upto 64meg of sample space back.

The purpose of X-FI's RAM's is not for saving space in system RAM, but to get access to the samples faster.

And is there really a soundstorm2 coming?
Allegedly.

I read somewhere that using an onboard soundcard can cut your fps by as much as 10 per second.
Thats more todo with most onboard sound solutions using your cpu for 3d processing effects rather than custom hardware. Prior to X-FI, all (popular gaming) soundcards use main system RAM, so the difference in speed between Audigy 4 and a crappy mobo sound solution have nothing todo with accessing main RAM.