PDA

View Full Version : Confused - nHancer vs. Nvidia CP

Tabs
09-09-05, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

I just got an XFX 7800GTX OC (upgrading from ATI 9800 Pro) two weeks ago and I'm a bit confused on a couple things:

1. When setting the AA modes with nHancer, what is nHancer's relation to the way the nVidia control panel displays AA modes? Example - if I set 8XS combined in nHancer, does that actually enable transparency AA? If I go look at the nVidia control panel for that specific game, it shows 8XS as the selected AA mode, but the transparency AA checkbox under Advanced is off - how do I ensure I'm actually turning on the transparency stuff? It's one of the main reasons I wanted this card...

2. The Doom3 profile won't allow me to set the game's AF in the profile, but there's no in-game option for it either - what's the deal?

3. Related - when dealing with games like HL2, Doom3, FarCry etc that have in game settings for AA/AF, what is the correct way to enable modes that aren't there in the game menu? Example - HL2 shows None, 2X, 4X, and 6X for AA - say I want to use 8XS - do I leave it set to none in the game or do I set it to the highest?

Thanks,
Ryan

OWA
09-09-05, 07:33 PM
Don't you have to select the actual transparency AA option in nhancer to get that enabled? In the nvidia CP, they are separate options and I thought it was that way in nhancer as well. To set it, you select the 8xS AA mode and you also select the transparency AA option (either multisampling or super sampling).

The Doom 3 profile doesn't let you change the AF option b/c Doom 3 automatically controls AF. Using the High Quality setting in D3 enables 8xAF automatically.

If the game has its own settings, leave the settings in the nvidia CP or nhancer on application controlled. If you want to override a game setting, force it in the CP by selecting whatever in its profile. In game, you can set it to none or leave it. I'm not totally sure of this but I don't think it matters. I don't usually bother changing the in-game setting if I'm overriding it in the driver but I guess I should really try to verify that to be sure.

Tabs
09-09-05, 08:55 PM
Ok I'm an idiot - I was using version 1.1 of nHancer that doesn't support the 7800... getting the 1.2 beta now.

OWA
09-09-05, 11:40 PM
Ok I'm an idiot - I was using version 1.1 of nHancer that doesn't support the 7800... getting the 1.2 beta now.
Heh, oh. :)