PDA

View Full Version : New potential fix for 6800/Nforce3 freezing.

MadFerIt2005
09-10-05, 06:43 AM
Hey guys I just starting using the new version of Rivatuner and I've noticed that if you bump up the fan speeds (performance 3d fan speed) close to 100% freezing is almost 99.9% gone (sometimes a freeze the second you pop in a game, but then none afterwards).

I still need to test it further, but I'm definetly noticing an improvement. Btw all of this was with Fast Writes OFF. I still havn't tested it while on.

I tested this at 400/1100 on a BFG Geforce 6800GT btw.

joshua7
09-10-05, 11:39 AM
Hey guys I just starting using the new version of Rivatuner and I've noticed that if you bump up the fan speeds (performance 3d fan speed) close to 100% freezing is almost 99.9% gone (sometimes a freeze the second you pop in a game, but then none afterwards).

I still need to test it further, but I'm definetly noticing an improvement. Btw all of this was with Fast Writes OFF. I still havn't tested it while on.

I tested this at 400/1100 on a BFG Geforce 6800GT btw.

Sometimes it happens with FW off? What has changed then?

MidnightWatcher
09-10-05, 03:32 PM
BFG Tech just informed me that I should uninstall my current driver (77.77) as well as the AGP driver, and install the 66.93 drivers. Wouldn't removing the AGP driver reduce performance significantly?

OWA
09-10-05, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't removing the AGP driver reduce performance significantly?
It use to but since they're recommending that, I don't know, maybe things have changed. If you try it, be sure to relay your results.

Benotti
09-10-05, 09:13 PM
Why do you open a new thread for this? We have a sticky.

No need to get peoples hope up falsely. There is _NO_ fix, except for switching to via.

Just accept the fact there is no other fix, and unless you are 150% sure you have found the unfoundable, an actual fix, there is no need to mislead people like this :thumbdwn:

ViN86
09-10-05, 09:20 PM
Why do you open a new thread for this? We have a sticky.

No need to get peoples hope up falsely. There is _NO_ fix, except for switching to via.

Just accept the fact there is no other fix, and unless you are 150% sure you have found the unfoundable, an actual fix, there is no need to mislead people like this :thumbdwn:
way to give him and others a chance to verify.......

joshua7
09-11-05, 07:27 AM
way to give him and others a chance to verify.......

No need for this topic...

ViN86
09-11-05, 02:15 PM
hes just tryin to help others :cool:

gram_vaz
09-11-05, 02:43 PM
nf3 stuttering sure has made people moody. whenever i've tried to help in the sticky i'm always greeted with the same asshat response as MadFerIt2005 got. we know there are lots of desperate people out there wanting to fix this problem so we just try to help with whatever we can. and not like we specifically aimed our help at one or two people. if you don't like what was said, IGNORE IT.

Demanufakture
09-11-05, 02:55 PM
It use to but since they're recommending that, I don't know, maybe things have changed. If you try it, be sure to relay your results.

Yes, please relay your results. :D

j0j081
09-11-05, 10:12 PM
I have a BFG 6800gt @ 400/1.1 w/nforce3 chipset and don't get freezing BUT I did enter this thread expecting to see a fix for those with the problem. After reading through I agree it should have been in the LARGE freezing thread because it's just another idea of the many.

Nv40
09-12-05, 05:46 AM
just to let you know guys that i was having some time ago , game freezes that happened at random times. and only in games..never while surfing in internet.After Trying every single driver or configuration and windows format possible , i realized it was a hardware problem. After painfully swtiching one by one all my hardware parts to another computer ,found the problem to be a BAD DDR MEMORY. it worked well ,on cold boot..until the memory was hot. SO it was very dificult find the problem because the freezes dont happened in every game.

Some motherbaords can also be very unstable if you use too much memory and have all your dim slots full. A good powersupply it is also important for stability since the Geforce6x/7x needs a lot of power.even if the one you have "works"... there is a big chance that it will fail sooner or later if it has poor quality.and finally cheap memory can also freeze you PC if you have the incorrect bios settings. (like running at cas2 when your DDR rams can only handle 2.5 or 3)

Sex_packets
09-12-05, 06:24 PM
The problem you are describing is not the same as the 6800/NF3 freezing problem. Computer doesn't hard lock, it just hangs for about 5-10 seconds in D3D games before resuming where it left off.

It's strictly an NF3 /6800 problem, not any error on user's part or bad memory or PSU or whatever! Many people have made a switch to a VIA board, which I am planning to do if a fix doesn't come out SOON, and reported that their freezing/stuttering problems have disappeared.

seeker010
09-12-05, 06:30 PM
The problem you are describing is not the same as the 6800/NF3 freezing problem. Computer doesn't hard lock, it just hangs for about 5-10 seconds in D3D games before resuming where it left off.

It's strictly an NF3 /6800 problem, not any error on user's part or bad memory or PSU or whatever! Many people have made a switch to a VIA board, which I am planning to do if a fix doesn't come out SOON, and reported that their freezing/stuttering problems have disappeared.
ok about this freezing... does the image stand still for a few seconds, and then the scene gets rendered again but with all the scenes in that time frame gone (ie the game assumes nothing is wrong and kept running for those few seconds), or does the game itself hang as well for those few seconds and the next scene that gets rendered is exactly one frame after the freezing point? Cuz if it's the former, I get it on my nf2 too, but I just attributed it to a game error (madden 2k1, which btw, can't run in 32bit mode on the 6800ultra, but it's so old I doubt nvidia would care)

OWA
09-12-05, 07:12 PM
It has been a while since I've seen it but I think it just continues right where it left off. I've only seen it when I overclocked too far or had fastwrites on.

Edit: Also, just to clarify, I had to have fastwrites off with the 6800U. With the 6800GT, it worked fine with fastwrites on.

stisoas
09-12-05, 07:20 PM
It has been a while since I've seen it but I think it just continues right where it left off. I've only seen it when I overclocked too far or had fastwrites on.

Edit: Also, just to clarify, I had to have fastwrites off with the 6800U. With the 6800GT, it worked fine with fastwrites on.

right . same for FW. no pb with or without.

personnally , i know this pb , games/ apps freeze 10 seconde, and resume well

its , for my case, ONLY A FREQUENCY PROBLEM.
at 390mhz , my 6800GT crash. the drivers reset the cards to 350mhz, and its fine.

the resetting take 10 12 sec.

6800GT AGP / NFORCE3 250gb / A64 / 1Gig PC4000.

avirox
09-12-05, 08:43 PM
People -- STFU AND TRY THE DAMN FIX

and afterwards tell us if it works kthx :P

joshua7
09-13-05, 04:23 AM
nf3 stuttering sure has made people moody. whenever i've tried to help in the sticky i'm always greeted with the same asshat response as MadFerIt2005 got. we know there are lots of desperate people out there wanting to fix this problem so we just try to help with whatever we can. and not like we specifically aimed our help at one or two people. if you don't like what was said, IGNORE IT.

Yeah, all this is nice, but THERE Is A TOPIC for this! Why to have another?

joshua7
09-13-05, 04:26 AM
ok about this freezing... does the image stand still for a few seconds, and then the scene gets rendered again but with all the scenes in that time frame gone (ie the game assumes nothing is wrong and kept running for those few seconds), or does the game itself hang as well for those few seconds and the next scene that gets rendered is exactly one frame after the freezing point? Cuz if it's the former, I get it on my nf2 too, but I just attributed it to a game error (madden 2k1, which btw, can't run in 32bit mode on the 6800ultra, but it's so old I doubt nvidia would care)

With the DFI nf3 board I had the former in 3dmarks, and had the latter in D3D games! :) I'm serious!

joshua7
09-13-05, 04:29 AM
right . same for FW. no pb with or without.

personnally , i know this pb , games/ apps freeze 10 seconde, and resume well

its , for my case, ONLY A FREQUENCY PROBLEM.
at 390mhz , my 6800GT crash. the drivers reset the cards to 350mhz, and its fine.

the resetting take 10 12 sec.

6800GT AGP / NFORCE3 250gb / A64 / 1Gig PC4000.

I had this with my DFI! But the resetting needed only 1-2 seconds. With FW on my max oc was 355mhz! :( With the Abit it is 415mhz. FW is on of course.