PDA

View Full Version : How good are the X2 procs from AMD?

Pages : [1] 2

Sazar
09-10-05, 03:06 PM
I have a little saved up cash and am looking to start investing in updated hardware in the next month or so. Have a coupla g's saved and want to plop some down on a new mobo/cpu setup. How much of an improvement/benefit have people noted by moving to an X2?

Rip, your views will be appreciated since you moved from a platform that was not incredibly different from what I am running right now cept for sckt and cpu clock.

Work I typically do on my computer == business work, typically excel sheets/powerpoint presentations and that jazz, multi-media, dvd authoring, gaming obviously.

I am thinking that for the office work/multi-media stuff, the X2 might help out some.

Any helpful information would be appreciated :)

jAkUp
09-10-05, 03:10 PM
If you like to game and rip, or fold, or multitask in that sense, then the X2 will be your best friend ;) If your a one app at a time kinda guy, maybe its not worth it right now... until more apps specifically take advantage of dual core CPU's

BrianG
09-10-05, 03:39 PM
If you like to game and rip, or fold, or multitask in that sense, then the X2 will be your best friend ;) If your a one app at a time kinda guy, maybe its not worth it right now... until more apps specifically take advantage of dual core CPU's
Or until the new Forcewares are released with Multithreading support to offload vertex calculations, heh.

Sazar, there is no way to explain how smooth a dual core system runs. It is noticable. I would never, NEVER leave open any applications when firing up a game. I now leave any and all windows open and programs running when gaming. I alt-tab to check email, it doesn't matter. Dual core is well worth the price.

Sazar
09-10-05, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

Also, does the 4800 you have Hal come unlocked or is it locked?

jAkUp
09-10-05, 04:01 PM
I think all the X2's are locked

TierMann
09-10-05, 04:40 PM
Higher multipliers are. I've had no problems with lowers (under 11x).

Check out this thread too... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55654

jAkUp
09-10-05, 04:45 PM
Yea, pretty much all A64's are able to lower the multi, but raising the multi, well, thats only for the FX badboys ;)

Riptide
09-10-05, 05:41 PM
Pretty much what jAkUp said in his first reply...

The main difference for me has been the ability to get folding progress accomplished while playing games. I have had no problems multitasking on my FX53 with windows apps but I would never run games with one of them going. Unitil now...

Can't wait for games to start utilizing both CPUs for performance increases.

Sazar
09-10-05, 09:43 PM
Dammit, I wanna get an FX X2 then :D

Is there a timeline on X2's with unlocked mults in the near future? I've waited this long, I don't mind waiting another coupla months if need be.

Sazar
09-11-05, 12:07 AM
Pretty much what jAkUp said in his first reply...

The main difference for me has been the ability to get folding progress accomplished while playing games. I have had no problems multitasking on my FX53 with windows apps but I would never run games with one of them going. Unitil now...

Can't wait for games to start utilizing both CPUs for performance increases.

Why did you go with a manchester rather than a toledo setup if you don't mind me asking?

OWA
09-11-05, 01:53 AM
I wonder if it'll help with the MMC software, like allow you to record shows and stuff and still have the system be pretty responsive. If you get one and it helps in that regard, be sure to relay the info. If it helps I may get a X2 for the system with the ATI HDTV Wonder.

Sazar
09-11-05, 03:39 AM
Well its not like I have probs when I am recording currently, nor have I had problems with my previous AIW.

I would think it would make it smoother and the few dropped frames i do have, I am sure it would eliminate those.

I am seriously looking at the 4400+ because of the extra cache, plus its in my price range :)

Just not sure of which board to get nor the kind of interest my current setup of cpu/mobo might attract price-wise :(

So many questions.

Once I get the stuff, I'll let you know.

OWA
09-11-05, 04:23 AM
Well its not like I have probs when I am recording currently, nor have I had problems with my previous AIW.

I would think it would make it smoother and the few dropped frames i do have, I am sure it would eliminate those.

I am seriously looking at the 4400+ because of the extra cache, plus its in my price range :)

Just not sure of which board to get nor the kind of interest my current setup of cpu/mobo might attract price-wise :(

So many questions.

Once I get the stuff, I'll let you know.
You're right. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted that. I saw you had an AIW and I know it's analog but it didn't register. I'm mainly interested in whether the X2 can improve things when watching/recording HDTV since it can be pretty taxing on the system.

Yeah, the extra cache (and the 4400+) was something I wanted as well. I ended up with the 4800+ because of availability issues (and my impatience).

Riptide
09-11-05, 11:08 AM
Why did you go with a manchester rather than a toledo setup if you don't mind me asking?
The extra cache isn't worth it IMO. The performance differential with games in particular is practically non-existent.

Plus more L2 cache might equal less overclockability. Not that I overclock mind you. ;)

Mojoe
09-11-05, 11:18 AM
The extra cache isn't worth it IMO. The performance differential with games in particular is practically non-existent.

Plus more L2 cache might equal less overclockability. Not that I overclock mind you. ;)

I am not shure i agree with you there. The extra cache helps in games.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/sempron-2600.html

Riptide
09-11-05, 11:26 AM
The extra cache helps, but pretty minimally. I remember reading about this stuff specifically back when I went shopping for my FX53 - and the 3800+ which had half the L2 cache (512K) was barely behind it in almost every benchmark. I should've got the 3800+ instead.

I see few large performance increases on the xbitlabs page. Only 3dmark01 seemed to show much of a difference between 512K / 1024K there.

overheat
09-11-05, 11:36 AM
Ah the cache excuse!.........and what having more cache affect the overclocking?????????????????????? :confused:

Riptide
09-11-05, 11:41 AM
More L2 cache = higher transistor count which generally means less overclockability.

Sazar
09-11-05, 01:13 PM
Transistors schmansistors.

You should know by now Rip, its all about the e-pen0s cachology :cool:

Riptide
09-11-05, 01:34 PM
LOL

Time to get an upgrade for the old e-member eh? Feeling inadequate without that extra L2 cache? ;) :D

Sazar
09-11-05, 01:41 PM
:rofl

I think I'm set on the 4400+ or the 4800+ at the moment. Now just have to decide if I should go all out and get pci-e or agp. I am still liking the x800xt AIW :(

Decisions decisions.

ViN86
09-11-05, 02:22 PM
go all out and get PCIe man, its the way of the future.

Sazar
09-11-05, 02:30 PM
I would have to step down from my AIW to something slower. Not interested in that.

Dr.Nick
09-11-05, 03:48 PM
The X2 is by far the best cpu I have ever owned and there is no way in hell I would ever go back to a single core. Also for running 100MHz slower than the 3200+(@2.6GHz) it replaced it is faster in games. So I would at least take the larger L2 over 100MHz. As for OCing its currently running at 2.5(2.2 stock) with default 1.3v...not too bad:)

Dazz
09-11-05, 05:39 PM
my 4400+ does 2.7Ghz @ 1.47v need more voltage but that is the max my board will give :(