PDA

View Full Version : Jaw Dropping Moments in PCGaming

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
09-10-05, 03:40 PM
What sticks out in your mind as a time when you were totally impressed with a specific moment in PCGaming?

For me, I think seeing the realistic water ripples and AI in FEAR were pretty amazing.

I also remember alot of moments in the original Half-Life, 1 specific moment is when you are crawling through a tube, suddenly the tube breaks, and you fall on a table with a headcrab underneath it :) I played through that part millions of times :D

And finally, the famous original Half-Life 2 video where the player throws the grenades under the shed and the whole thing comes crashing down. My jaw was on the floor for that one :) Also the water and floating effects. Yea, its not much now, but when that was shown holy crap was it amazing.

superklye
09-10-05, 03:47 PM
I still love the part of HL2 when you're on the boat and the big smoke stack falls right in front of you. I almost shat myself the first time that happened.

Nv40
09-10-05, 03:51 PM
Unreal 1 , the first time i saw it.. :eek: That game was too good to be true. too advanced for its times. :)

OWA
09-10-05, 03:56 PM
Playing MW2 on a 3Dfx card, going down a corridor when the lights go out and a creature approaches in Unreal, playing D3 the first time through (most of it since it was the first game that actually made me jump...several times) and the opening of Half-Life 1 where you're on the monorail travelling to where the game starts.

CaptNKILL
09-10-05, 04:26 PM
First time I saw the Quake 2 demo running in OpenGL on my brothers system when he bought a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI 16Mb :D

First time I saw the 3dmark 2001 nature benchmark in real time on my Ti4400.

Playing Morrowind on my Athlon 64 for the first time and having buttery smooth frame rates with insanely high draw distances in CITIES... its amazing what a powerful CPU does for that game.

Seeing Doom shareware running for the first time on our first Packard Bell 66Mhz system :D

FierceDeityLink
09-10-05, 05:17 PM
Call of Duty "car ride" level
Ragdoll physics (Unreal Tournament 2003, but something's making me think '99)

Edit (thought of more):
500MB Half-Life 2 Bink videos
Battlefield 1942 Multiplayer Demo (despite being laggy and buggy)

|JuiceZ|
09-10-05, 05:52 PM
Unreal 1, vortex rikers map, walking towards the edge of the cliff watching the water fall while being asborbed into the environment by the ambient sounds of creatures & music.

agentkay
09-10-05, 05:54 PM
IŽd say first moment must have been playing Wing Commander 1 for the first time. I bought that game a few months before I even got my first PC. lol

The next major moment was when I got my Voodoo1 and saw hardware accelerated 3D graphics for the first time (mainly the Voodoo demos, Turok 1).

There are many more moments, many of them associated with major hardware upgrades and obviously the most famous PC games.

msxyz
09-10-05, 05:54 PM
Wing Commander 1... the first mission

Wolfenstein 3D... exploring for the first time a real 3D environment

Duke Nukem 3D... using a toilet in a videogame!

Unreal... Approaching a wall an not seeing the usual blurred/pixelated texture but a detail map.

Sazar
09-10-05, 06:10 PM
Far Cry water effects :D and physics in that game. First time I ever experienced anything like it.

LOVED it.

Deux Ex and interactivity and multiple outcome story line :D

Doom 3 lighting/darkness.

HL2 physics/music/vistas plus vehicles.

Half Life interactivity and game play plus da G-man fella :cool:

UT2k4 and vehicles to frag people with.

Mr. Hunt
09-10-05, 06:18 PM
Playing the first Thief game... I remember our electricity went out when I got it and I went to the neighbors and installed it on his PC and me and my brother played it like crazy... have loved the series every since.

zoomy942
09-10-05, 06:50 PM
first is the open-ness of operation flashpoint. i have never ever played a game as open as that. hell, if you had a missin and you cam across some baddies smoking outside a tank, kill them take the tank and go on your way.:) wow.

and second would be the thief series. i think it was thief 2, when you come up on this HUGE cathedral. looking up at it was mind blowing

OWA
09-10-05, 06:52 PM
Far Cry water effects :D and physics in that game. First time I ever experienced anything like it.

Geez, how could I forget Far Cry. Yeah, that was another jaw-dropping moment.

Playing the first Thief game...
Thief was another good one, especially with the use of directional sound.

toxikneedle
09-10-05, 07:34 PM
I'll have to say Medal of Honor Allied assault for single player. It was my first real FPS game I got into and I remember Omaha Beach was real immersive I thought. I liked MOHAAs immersion into WW2. I just really got into it and WW2 at the same time.

I also remember playing the Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow demo and just falling in love with the gameplay. I never looked at the original before and I missed A LOT. Love SC to death now. Full Spectrum Warrior really got me hooked too on its' innovation.

Nutty
09-10-05, 07:54 PM
Quake1! Man that 3d-ness with realtime lighting was awesome. The lovely eery soundtrack by NIN too. It was just jaw-dropping. Q1 is what got me into pc games.

Bad_Boy
09-10-05, 08:08 PM
this might sound weird but i think i have had more "wow!" moments in console games than pc games, even though i consider myself more of a pc gamer.

i only can think of a couple things that made me go into shock on pc games... far cry's water and hdr, seeing the first bink videos of hl2, doom 3's shadows + scare factor.

for me there are too many to name for console games, but thats another story anyway.

Nutty
09-10-05, 08:09 PM
The 1st time I saw the leaked video of Doom3 from the 1st E3 it was at. Remember the shaky cam version, with the Trent Reznor audio.. That was jaw dropping.. Shame it took soo long to come out after that..

Aphot
09-10-05, 09:36 PM
WHen i switched from a mx400 to a 9600XT and played halo. it was a eyecandy experiance.

ClosetFanBoy
09-10-05, 09:44 PM
dunno if i dropped my jaw but i know i had goosebumps, and that was when i first played doom back in..... a long time ago! and half life, and of course quake 2. but when i got my first 3d card (voodoo!) i think my jaw may have dropped.... :eek:

karkrash81
09-10-05, 09:47 PM
Jumping out of an jet in No One Lives Forever as HARM thugs sky dived around you...

spirited1
09-10-05, 10:12 PM
Seeing the Firiona Vie boat in EverQuest 1.

Just...wow.

acrh2
09-10-05, 10:16 PM
Jumping out of an jet in No One Lives Forever as HARM thugs sky dived around you...

Call me silly, but NOLF cutscenes are it for me. Especially the first time I saw the cutscene with ultimatum/demand of world surrender/puppet.
HL1 intro.

Shamrock
09-10-05, 10:41 PM
IndyCar racing II when combined with a rendition chipset. Those graphics were ahead of it's time.

and here are a couple of performance games which I was a part of.
http://members.hotdial.net/pbsams@hotdial.net/227kills.jpg (I scored 227 kills in 1 30 minute match)
AND, a good bud of mine scored 95 kills in A SANCTIONED World OGL match
http://members.hotdial.net/pbsams@hotdial.net/BOs%20match.jpg (Z Gouki)

Sazar
09-10-05, 10:58 PM
Co-op mode in Halo and the game itself :cool:

The first game I played on Xbox and it happened to make full use of the controller, I was very impressed.

jAkUp
09-10-05, 11:02 PM
and here are a couple of performance games which I was a part of.
http://members.hotdial.net/pbsams@hotdial.net/227kills.jpg (I scored 227 kills in 1 30 minute match)
AND, a good bud of mine scored 95 kills in A SANCTIONED World OGL match
http://members.hotdial.net/pbsams@hotdial.net/BOs%20match.jpg (Z Gouki)

what game is that??!!