PDA

View Full Version : Via C3 and C7 Processors

AnimasterZ
09-10-05, 07:50 PM
Anybody Know anything about these processors? My friend just bought a mobo with a C3 733MHz soldered to the board. Works great but don't know anything about the processor.

How do they compare to Intel's and AMD's processors that are eqivalents? (duel)

And please no "My AMD's Better!" remarks.

Tank's alot.

jAkUp
09-10-05, 09:00 PM
Anybody Know anything about these processors? My friend just bought a mobo with a C3 733MHz soldered to the board. Works great but don't know anything about the processor.

Tank's alot.

They are cheap. Thats about it :) THey actually make some that fit into socket 479, but they don't work on most laptops.

seeker010
09-10-05, 09:56 PM

Tank's alot.
well by most measurements calling them terrible would be an understatement
there are only two silver linings: they take up less power while sucking, but I think the new low power turions and pentium-ms might be encroaching on that department as well. and the c7 has a hardware aes calc bolted on so it can match an athlon64 without such hardware clock for clock in those types of calculations.

chowells
09-10-05, 10:10 PM

They are low power consumption so don't produce much heat. Via market them at the embedded market, and for doing stuff like HTPCs (some of the Via boards have built in hardware accelerated MPEG2/4 decoding capabilities).

They aren't meant to complete with Intel and AMD, they are aimed at a completely different market.