PDA

View Full Version : did sli16x get paperlaunchitis?

wheeljack12
09-11-05, 12:41 PM
I know that the Dell XPS system has it already, but did dell pay that much money to nvidia to keep them from allowing other motherboard makers to get their boards out until they made a load of cash? Or did SLI16x get paperlaunchitis from the fact they didn't have enough chipsets (or in other cases GPU's) ready for Retail sales beyond Dell? Either way, I am sick and tired of being told about something, I would like to use/experience it.

Sazar
09-11-05, 12:42 PM
Dell designs its own mobo's. Other makers will implement the chipset and features into their products. I think there are a few products either out there now or coming out soon. Patience :)

BrianG
09-11-05, 01:09 PM
I know that the Dell XPS system has it already, but did dell pay that much money to nvidia to keep them from allowing other motherboard makers to get their boards out until they made a load of cash? Or did SLI16x get paperlaunchitis from the fact they didn't have enough chipsets (or in other cases GPU's) ready for Retail sales beyond Dell? Either way, I am sick and tired of being told about something, I would like to use/experience it.
Unlike a graphics card release, motherboard turnover is far slower. There is less motivation by mobo makers to retool and make their current inventory obsolete.

Dell has the 16x. IIRC, several other mobo makers have started showing sample boards at tradeshows, etc. Dell's first jump into SLI is the X16 so the retool/current inventory was not an issue. And knowing how Dell works, they likely bought up all first supply of the 16x.

OWA
09-11-05, 01:30 PM
What is it? Searching just turns up a bunch stuff about the SLI 16x AA mode.

Sazar
09-11-05, 01:35 PM
2 x pci-e 16x lanes rather than 2 x pci-e 8x lanes.

OWA
09-11-05, 01:48 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info.

superklye
09-11-05, 02:30 PM
The MSI board in Mike's review of SLIed MSI 7800GTXs is SLI 16x.

ricercar
09-11-05, 05:22 PM
Dell designs its own mobo's.Bwah? When did this happen? When I worked nForce1/2/Intel at NVIDIA, Dell outsourced motherboards to MSI and ASUS.

Sazar
09-11-05, 06:29 PM
They use chipsets from intel typically or design their own but the last, well, the whole time I have been there we have been designing our own solutions with intel's input.

wheeljack12
09-12-05, 12:44 AM
like I said, dell more than likely got all of the chipsets that nvidia had made and not enough were left for the other board makers to buy. Hence, lack of stock which I would call paperlaunchitis. If you asked the GPU board makers, they had the same issue with the geforce 6 when it came out. Too much hype and not enough product to back it up at release. Nvidia, you got your GPU infection fixed, now start supplying your motherboard chipsets a little better. This isn't about patience, it's about not meeting demands and expectations. You say you are going to do something, then get it done.

OWA
09-12-05, 01:26 AM
Edit: Nevermind, deleted b/c I'm not sure.

FraGTastiK
09-12-05, 02:59 AM
... If you asked the GPU board makers, they had the same issue with the geforce 6 when it came out. Too much hype and not enough product to back it up at release.

it was X800/850 XTPE unfamous for that.you should put X800 series there instead of Geforce6.

Nvidia, you got your GPU infection fixed, now start supplying your motherboard chipsets a little better. This isn't about patience, it's about not meeting demands and expectations. You say you are going to do something, then get it done.

NForce4 is all over the world just look around.over 500k motherborads based on nforce 4 chipset sold worldwide.

as for paper launching of 16x chipset.first take a look at this:

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

its basically the same chip for workstations,so theres no problem with producing more.its selling like hot cakes and no supply shortage.(I for one can confirm this)

there is nothing wrong with giving out the first party to Dell.again you must put ATI name in there instead of Nvidia.
hello Crossfire?!its been paper launched a dozen times,yet you cant see the actual board.but every chipset nVIDIA talked about is out there for you to buy one way or another.dont expect nVIDIA to change their marketing plans because of your whinings.

I would like to see Dual x16 SLI mobos availabity right after Crossfire availability wich suffers from malignant Crossfiritis/prognosis grave.

wheeljack12
09-12-05, 04:25 PM
No, both ATI and Nvidia did a paperlaunchitis on the graphics end, not just one company. One saw what the other was doing and followed suit instead of innovating their marketing. Both have learned from this and aren't into customer on the graphics card end (this is where the similarities between the two end) dissatisfaction because of this. I would agree to see if Nvidia's campaign involves such tactics as slamming the door on the competition by releasing just after ATI foes to market. Yes, I agree crossfire has been paper launched too many times, Nvidia should have more class than to follow suit again. Mind you, I would have confidence in my product and just release it now knowing you are going to beat that competition of yours. The beef is why should Nvidia give preference to one company before others? They should realize by now that not all customer are buying dell machines, and it not dell's name on Nvidia's door. Unless they signed a contract (dumb on Nvidia's part) that gives dell exclusive rights for Nvidia chipsets before the mobo manufacturers. It's called lost profit.

jolle
09-13-05, 10:41 AM
I thought I saw something about this 16x SLI deal somewhere, that you could run 4 monitors with these boards, unlike with regular SLI..
Or was that only for Quadros? or am I just imagining? cause I cant seem to find it again..

Demigod
09-13-05, 11:05 AM
No, both ATI and Nvidia did a paperlaunchitis on the graphics end, not just one company.

the 6800gt was available on launch day (I got one) though high volume took 2 weeks. It was still hard to get a x850 pe months after launch hense the press edition. the 7800 has been available in bulk since launch.

Unless they signed a contract (dumb on Nvidia's part) that gives dell exclusive rights for Nvidia chipsets before the mobo manufacturers. It's called lost profit.

Not really more people buy prebuilt than build their own.

wheeljack12
09-13-05, 12:09 PM
demigod, I just said that. Nvidia cured themselves of paperlaunchitis on the graphics end, hence 7800 gtx was available on launch day. Would you read please? Ok, do the greater amount of people buy dell over any other brand for a pre built, ask yourself that. And no, I am not talking about their reputation, the actual numbers. I am not dissing dell, just saying that Dell understands Capitalism more than Nvidia here. It's narrow minded thinking on Nvidia's part this time. No person, company or anything conscious is perfect, they just have to stop making the same mistakes.