PDA

View Full Version : what kind of wireless rates do you get with your 11b/g/a network?

ynnek
09-11-05, 06:26 PM
I've never been able to get decent rates on my wireless network.. maybe 2-7 mbit/s on my 11g netowork.. Using a linksys wrt54g router, and a netgear usb adapter and a compaq laptop. The router is upstairs in our master bedroom. The HTPC using the usb adapter is downstairs, direclty below it. The laptop can be anywhere.. When in the same room, we get pretty good rates though.

I wonder if there's alot of interference, because I notice everyone huddles around the same 3-4 channels in the my neighborhood. (i can see at least 9 networks, broadcasting their SID's, from my house) Funny thing is, if I go try use the other channels, its pratically unusable.. That might be why everyone I see huddles around the same channels.

TimeOut
09-12-05, 12:51 PM
I have the same router. After trying different channels with no luck, I flashed the router firmware with the HyperWRT version. This firmware has an option to boost the signal.

Check it out: http://www.hyperwrt.org

WLanMan
09-12-05, 06:10 PM
You should be able to get ~20mb/s and sub ms networking speeds out of most wireless networking equipment if the distance is less than two walls/floors between the equipment. A few questions:

-Is it a consistent 2-7mb/s whenever you check the throughput at the HTPC or does it depend a lot on time of day (possibly other neighbors interfering with your channel using Bluetooth, WLAN or 2.4GHz wireless phones). Do you ever see higher throughputs (if not you're probably signal level/range limited or possibly interface limited - It's a USB 2.0 device and 2.0 port I'd hope)?

-Have you tried reorienting the antennas on the AP or the USB dongle to get better signal? (Do you have a way to monitor signal strength)? If your AP is directly above the HTPC, you'll need to down tilt the AP's antennas as they have a null cone radiating directly through their longest axis (i.e., don't point either end of an antenna at your desired client). You could orient one antenna down (for the HTPC) and leave one vertical (for the laptop on when on the same floor). You might also try setting your HTPC USB dongle (with a USB extender cable) so that the end of it points up towards the different level AP - or try a few orientations there while monitoring signal strength.

-Are there any 11B AP's/devices on the same channel as yours. 11B devices on the same (or only one channel different), will cause 11G networks to operate in legacy mode and create an instant network throughput lag due to 11B interoperation requirements. It's best if possible to space your network onto unused channels - if everyone's >6 go to 1 or if everyones <6 go to 11 (or 13 if possible - though even if your AP goes to 13 your USB probably won't). [I use 11A channel 60, cuz well, I'm WLanMan. :)]

Good luck. www.tomsnetworking.com has a lot of good primers and suggestion on WLAN setup.

ynnek
09-12-05, 08:36 PM
I've tried rearranging and moving around the dongles and such.. I could have 4/5 bars but the network only reports 24 mbits mode.. actual thruput then is down to about 10 mbits or so at those times..

well, lets see.a 7 gig file can take 1.5-2.5 hours to transfer.. So thats around 10 mbits right?

right now my htpc reports 4/5 bars, and its stuck in 24 mbits mode.. actual performance seems about 5 mbits now on avg.. actually Ijust ran some files thru, and it seemed like it was hovering at 1-2 mbits sustained.

There's probably tons of b devices around, (not on my network though).. I forced my router to run only in G mode btw.

Yea I tried the other channels, but there's something out there in my neighborhood that makes them unusable.. I tried another router too and it was like that. Which makes me wonder perhaps thats why everyone else is croweded around the same range of channels. I wonder if my neighbors all use 2.4ghz phones.

ill go check that site. thanks

ynnek
09-12-05, 10:31 PM
Hmm, I think switching frpm web to WPA AES actually seem to improve performance. either that or I'm just in a good window... I guess I'll know after a few days.