PDA

View Full Version : Games, PC Stuff, etc.

mx125race
09-11-05, 07:31 PM
well my b-day is coming up soon, and i wasnt sure what to get. i was thinknig about games and computer stuff. what are some cool games, or stuff(in my pc etc.) u think i might need? i already have a variety of console games. ill show u a 'list'...

PC Games
---------
BF2
HF2(with cs source/hf2 deathmatch)
SimCity 4 :rolleyes:
Soldier of Fortune 2 (old game lol)
and a couple more that i dont got installed

im interested in call of duty, i hear its great. any other games u would recommend? i still got exactly 80.00gb of HD space left... i like war games and rpg's that are good

------

Console Games(newer games) - xbox/ps2
----------
uh i have most of the new sports games. ie: madden, ncaa

nhl 06 comes out on thursday or sumtime this week. ill definitley get that...

i have a lot of racing games and also grand theft auto games too and a couple star wars games. what are some other cool games i should get?

----

PC Stuff
-------
I'm probably going to get a new set of headphones. should i upgrade my 2x512 pc2700 RAM to the corsair 2x512 pc3200 that i have with it?
not sure i need anything else for my pc atm, except sumthing magical to fix the noise :/

---

ill take any other suggestions too...just not sure what i wanna get. im going to get some new hockey skates and stuff, but i need suggestions on video games and my computer.

thanks for your help in advance!

j0j081
09-11-05, 09:31 PM
My bday is this Friday, Sept 16th lol. I'm thinking of getting Fable, I think it comes out soon. You said you are looking for an rpg so there is an idea.

mx125race
09-12-05, 05:33 PM
fable...is that for pc? if so, do u pay monthly?

OWA
09-12-05, 05:42 PM
It's for both. It was released first on consoles and should be released soon for PCs.

anzak
09-12-05, 06:36 PM
Here is what I recommend.

1. A book on building PCs. (an online tutorial will suffice)
2. A real PC case.
3. A couple of low RPM fans for your new case.
4. A decent HSF for your CPU

The root of your noise problem is probably in the cheap Dell case. Just buy a new case, it isn't that hard to move the parts from one case to another. An hour of work at most.

j0j081
09-12-05, 09:29 PM
fable...is that for pc? if so, do u pay monthly?
as OWA said, it came out on Xbox about a year ago. People complained it was too short so now they are rereleasing it for both Xbox and PC with a lot more content. I played the original Xbox version for a few hours and it really is a pretty decent game if you're into the style it brings. Think of it as a cross between Zelda and a typical RPG. There are no online fee because it's a single player game.

mx125race
09-13-05, 07:57 PM
Here is what I recommend.

1. A book on building PCs. (an online tutorial will suffice)
2. A real PC case.
3. A couple of low RPM fans for your new case.
4. A decent HSF for your CPU

The root of your noise problem is probably in the cheap Dell case. Just buy a new case, it isn't that hard to move the parts from one case to another. An hour of work at most.

i was told (by sum1 on this forum) that the case cannot be replaced on Dell's because the mobo is somehow linked to the power button...is this true? could i still by a case and get past this problem? and trust me, in the future i will build, my dad is just so 'fascinated' by dells...rofl...

and yes i can move the parts to the case, so it shouldnt take too long. i hope i can get a case. all my parts and wires are so cramped in that dell mid tower. thanks for the idea, never popped into my head atm with gay school and stuff. im going to look into fable too.

nVidi0t
09-13-05, 08:24 PM
Logitech G5 or Razer Copperhead.

Riptide
09-13-05, 08:29 PM
i was told (by sum1 on this forum) that the case cannot be replaced on Dell's because the mobo is somehow linked to the power button...is this true? could i still by a case and get past this problem? and trust me, in the future i will build, my dad is just so 'fascinated' by dells...rofl...
I think he's suggesting you buy a new motherboard as well as a new case and just put all your other components in there. IOW he wants you to get rid of the Dell.

IMO it should be OK... If you are going to upgrade at some point then don't get another Dell, build your own. More fun and the parts are (in general) better quality. To be honest I'm surprised your 4600 is so noisy. My wife had one and it was always quieter than my computer. The small form factor Dells at work are nearly completely silent.

*EDIT* You replaced the power supply in that thing? Wow man you should've just started with a home-built instead.

anzak
09-13-05, 08:42 PM
i was told (by sum1 on this forum) that the case cannot be replaced on Dell's because the mobo is somehow linked to the power button...is this true?

Thats news to me. Sorry about that, I'm glad you did some research before jumping onto my idea. To reduce the noise you could try the hard drive and fan vibration dampeners.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=872843&CatId=495

http://www.xoxide.com/vibdampener.html

As for games, If you don't have it, chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay is great.

mx125race
09-14-05, 05:27 PM
I think he's suggesting you buy a new motherboard as well as a new case and just put all your other components in there. IOW he wants you to get rid of the Dell.

IMO it should be OK... If you are going to upgrade at some point then don't get another Dell, build your own. More fun and the parts are (in general) better quality. To be honest I'm surprised your 4600 is so noisy. My wife had one and it was always quieter than my computer. The small form factor Dells at work are nearly completely silent.

*EDIT* You replaced the power supply in that thing? Wow man you should've just started with a home-built instead.

building a new computer would actually be pretty cheap for me atm, considering i have 2 PSU: Dell 250w and an Antec 400w, 2 graphic cards: 5200 fx 128mb and 6600 256mb and 2 gigs of RAM...ill definitley be looking into that shortly...

the reason your wife's is less noisy could possibly be the specs ? or it was put together better...this POS was already noisy and rattling when i first bought it (with 1 gig of ram, 5200 fx, 250w psu, 3.06 ghz p4)

and out of all the Dell's ive used ( a h*ll lotta them too), the only one that's noisy is mine...

i wont buy a new motherboard unless im going to build a new pc(becuz ill already have most of the parts for it) i'm gonig to take it in to geeksquad(even though i probably dont want to) to see if they can find the source of the problem. i hope it'll jsut be fans vibrating or sumthing or the case isnt all the way secured. all i know is, i cant find out wat is makin the noise. im pretty sure it the poor ventilation. ill look into the fan silencers and HD VGA cooler, too.

oh man do i regret getting this dell :mad:

anzak
09-14-05, 05:52 PM
i wont buy a new motherboard unless im going to build a new pc(becuz ill already have most of the parts for it) i'm gonig to take it in to geeksquad(even though i probably dont want to) to see if they can find the source of the problem. i hope it'll jsut be fans vibrating or sumthing or the case isnt all the way secured. all i know is, i cant find out wat is makin the noise. im pretty sure it the poor ventilation. ill look into the fan silencers and HD VGA cooler, too.

oh man do i regret getting this dell :mad:

There is no way I'd take it to the geek squad. Didn't they charge you $40 to install a graphics card and PSU? You would be better off buying a new case and mobo or even just buying some fan dampeners and tightining all the screws.

mx125race
09-15-05, 09:09 PM
omg...this is amazing! my pc now = virtually silent! all i did was open it up and left the power plug still in and booted it up, played around with the fan next to my processor that kept rattling, and a coupleo ther things, made sure the case was tight, and now: no sound...
i was kinda nervous in the beginning becuz i thoguht the fans or sumthing wasnt working, but i looking in the back and both were working. i havent tried a game yet, but still im happy that at idle, i cant hear it anymore. all 4 fans including the one on my vid card dont ratlle and are working. im so happy lol...this past year the noise has been herendous, ear-piercing, literally! and now after what would be my final attempt before i was about to kick the **** out of this thing, its compltely noise-free... i will probably try to run a game in a little bit and make sure the fans are all working, so peace out for now...anyways thanks for all the information, im still interested in the fan and hardrive dampeners and stuff.

oh yeah and to make geeksquad even more negative, it was $40 EACH rofl...i could see the PSU costin a little bit, but a vid card to cost the same? wow...

thanks all to ur help and especially u anzec for encouraging me to NOT take it geeksquad and the fan dampeners etc. ;) and others for recommending games etc.

im still accepting opinions on gifts, feel free to post :)