PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2006, no menu problem, 78.03 drivers?

fatal1ty
09-11-05, 09:33 PM
Hey guys...

Downloaded the NHL 2006 demo gets to the main screen with music and then there is no menu to click anything. I can hit esc and exit, thats it. Had my buddy with also with a 7800 GTX try it, he gets the exact same thing.

Anyone else get this too? I wonder if it's the 78.03 drivers? Its like the menu never loads and this is with the demo so anyone can download and try it..

Lemme know, thanks alot!

SLippe
09-11-05, 10:16 PM
Hmmm, I'll give it a shot. I don't have a 7800, but I am using the 78.03 set. I am looking forward to this game, as the NHL series is the main game I've played since '94. I'll report back.

OWA
09-11-05, 10:33 PM
It runs fine here (edit: in the sense that I can play the game) with the 78.03s but I can't seem to change any of the video options. Basically, all options are grayed out so I can't change the resolution or graphics settings. It looks like it is done on purpose though since even the credits are grayed out (only selection available is Play).

Edit: The 2nd and 3rd screenshots shows what I'm seeing on the menu. If I move the cursor to an item in the list (other than play), the item is highlighted but not selectable. I guess this could be a way of making it a limited demo just giving a small taste of what the game will be like. I'll see if I can find anything in a readme or whatever. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Edit 2: Disregard my earlier comment. After seeing Grunt has the same issue as fatality, it's more likely that I can't select the other options due to a bug.

SLippe
09-11-05, 10:46 PM
Didn't work for me. Same thing as first post. I can only click on Esc.

SLippe
09-11-05, 10:54 PM
It runs fine here (edit: in the sense that I can play the game) with the 78.03s but I can't seem to change any of the video options. Basically, all options are grayed out so I can't change the resolution or graphics settings. It looks like it is done on purpose though since even the credits are grayed out (only selection available is Play).

Edit: The 2nd and 3rd screenshots shows what I'm seeing on the menu. If I move the cursor to an item in the list (other than play), the item is highlighted but not selectable. I guess this could be a way of making it a limited demo just giving a small taste of what the game will be like. I'll see if I can find anything in a readme or whatever. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
No, you are not doing anything wrong. It is a limited demo. You can only play with the two teams and for only 5 mins, all rules are Off. That is not what I am seeing when my game starts. It keeps part of the big picture where the menu should be. Like posted earlier, it's like it's not loading the menu at all. Glad you can play it.

OWA
09-11-05, 11:06 PM
No, you are not doing anything wrong. It is a limited demo. You can only play with the two teams and for only 5 mins, all rules are Off. That is not what I am seeing when my game starts. It keeps part of the big picture where the menu should be. Like posted earlier, it's like it's not loading the menu at all. Glad you can play it.
Thanks for the info on it being a limited demo. I also just confirmed that by installing it on the X800 Pro system and seeing the options grayed out there as well.

fatal1ty
09-11-05, 11:49 PM
Didn't work for me. Same thing as first post. I can only click on Esc.

Wonder why this is all about....
it wont even run for me or my buddy..

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the info on it being a limited demo. I also just confirmed that by installing it on the X800 Pro system and seeing the options grayed out there as well.

I know I have TAA to SS and 4x/16x HQ all turned on, that screenshot looks to have none applied. Try it with everything on and see if it still works?

OWA
09-12-05, 12:37 AM
Wonder why this is all about....
it wont even run for me or my buddy..
I wouldn't worry about it too much since the demo is very limited and not much of a preview. You only get to play it at 800x600 and you don't get to change any of the options. It's possible that it's just a demo issue but I'd try to confirm that with someone that owns the full version before purchasing it.

You may want to try just letting it sit there a while also. When you don't start playing it goes into a demo mode. I've since had the demo mode apparently hang for a while when it was starting, only to have it start running again. Maybe y'all are seeing the same thing, just at a different point in the demo. So, given more time, maybe the menu will eventually appear. Probably a long shot though.

Also, I just used normal settings for the game (4xAA, 16xAF, etc.) and ran it on one GPU since there's not much point trying to use SLI on a 800x600 demo. :)

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much since the demo is very limited and not much of a preview. You only get to play it at 800x600 and you don't get to change any of the options. It's possible that it's just a demo issue but I'd try to confirm that with someone that owns the full version before purchasing it.

You may want to try just letting it sit there a while also. When you don't start playing it goes into a demo mode. I've since had the demo mode apparently hang for a while when it was starting, only to have it start running again. Maybe y'all are seeing the same thing, just at a different point in the demo. So, given more time, maybe the menu will eventually appear. Probably a long shot though.

Also, I just used normal settings for the game (4xAA, 16xAF, etc.) and ran it on one GPU since there's not much point trying to use SLI on a 800x600 demo. :)

My buddy picked it up today while I was at work and he says the retail is doing the same thing....

I was gonna get it tomorrow...guess I'll wait on this for now.

OWA
09-12-05, 12:40 AM
It works with 4xAA and 16xAF. The first time I ran it, I didn't create a profile for it so you're right, there wasn't any AA or AF. I've since added a profile and set it to 4xAA/16xAF but didn't bother with SLI.

Edit: Forgot to mention GAA is On and TAA is set to SS now also.

Edit 2: Here is a screenshot with it on.

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 12:45 AM
As always, thanks for the info OWA! :)

OWA
09-12-05, 12:49 AM
No problem.

Edit: One final update. When I said it took a while to start back up, I wasn't exaggerating. I lowered my system overclock to make sure that wasn't the source of the issue but it didn't help. The first time I tried it, the demo mode started just like it should. The 2nd time it hung, so I timed it. It took over 4 minutes before the game came back to life and continued the demo. You'll probably want to try waiting around 4 or 5 minutes to see if the menu finally shows up (not that waiting that long is acceptable or anything but just to see if it will eventually appear for curiosities-sake). Anyway, it looks like it's just marginally stable for me on the 7800 system. While I haven't tried it as many times on the X800 Pro, I haven't seen that occur on it yet.

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 02:02 AM
I found a fix...
Amazingly on a "crack" site for a demo :rolleyes:

Go to the NVIDIA control panel (open "Control Panel",
double-click "Display", select "Settings" tab, click "Advanced",
select "NVIDIA" tab) and select "Performance & Quality Settings".
Then click on "Vertical sync", uncheck "Application-controlled"
and make sure the horizontal slider is set to "Off".
That's how you disable vsync for all games.

Sure enough with vsync to application controlled it works.... :mad:

Game looks great now, guess I'll pick it up tomorrow.

OWA
09-12-05, 02:22 AM
I'm not sure I follow you. Does it need to be set to app control or forced off? The directions in italics say to set it to off but then you say with it set to app control it works. Mine is set to app control by the way.

Edit: Nevermind, your comment was the correct one. It needs to be set to application control. I tried forcing vsync off and had the same issue y'all did. The menu didn't appear. Weird. Anyway, good find!

Edit 2: A few screenshots of 800x600 with SLI 16xAA. :)

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 09:40 AM
yea OWA, must be set to Application Controlled and it works. Anyways, I just got back from EB and installed Retail, gameplay is sweet. Looks great at 1280x1024 HQ, 4x/16x, GCA and TASS. (also, just tried with X850XTPE - forcing vsync off does the same thing, application preference is fine.)

BTW... I just "acquired" an ATI X850XT PE to continue testing alpha issues with COD, Madden 2006, etc... cya in the other thread! :)

So to conclude and summarize this thread for people searching, the fix for NHL 2006 retail and Demo not showing a menu is to make sure vsync is set to Application Controlled. This is with Nvidia and ATI cards if you force vsync off.

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 09:44 AM
test sig, w00t rig info below.

OWA
09-12-05, 12:13 PM
It's strange that you'd rather continue trying to find faults with your shiny new 7800 instead of enjoying it by playing games with all the settings maxed. Heh, even going through the trouble of swapping cards to do so. I guess you'll at least be able to see firsthand that it's not any better on ATI so maybe that'll put your mind at ease. Then you can get back to enjoying your new card. ;)

fatal1ty
09-12-05, 12:41 PM
It's strange that you'd rather continue trying to find faults with your shiny new 7800 instead of enjoying it by playing games with all the settings maxed. Heh, even going through the trouble of swapping cards to do. I guess you'll at least be able to see firsthand that it's not any better on ATI so maybe that'll put your mind at ease. Then you can get back to enjoying your new card. ;)

I'm not trying to find fault...I guess I am being overly critical of it though. Still there is the issue with Alpha textures and TA SS not working properly in all games. I know I've always "troubleshot" more than I've enjoyed hardware... once I update the other post with comparison shots I will just play with it for a few weeks!!! :)

OWA
09-12-05, 03:00 PM
I know I've always "troubleshot" more than I've enjoyed hardware... once I update the other post with comparison shots I will just play with it for a few weeks!!! :)
Yeah, same here. I sometimes find myself testing and playing around with games more than I actually play them for real. I enjoy it but I thought I was about the only one that way. :)

SLippe
09-12-05, 11:36 PM
Absolutely amazing that setting VSync to Application Controlled fixed it. Runs like a f*ckin' charm now! Jury is still out whether or not I like it better than '05. That will be determined when I get the full version. Rock on!

SLippe
09-13-05, 06:51 PM
And with only 18.3 seconds left, Dallas scores the go-ahead goal, putting them up 4 to 3 over San Jose!

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1132/untitled18dm.th.png (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled18dm.png)