PDA

View Full Version : New drivers this week?

Pages : [1] 2

fuelrod
09-11-05, 11:18 PM
I was checking out the forums on EVGA's web site and came accross this post (4th post from bottom) that claims Nvidia will release new drivers this week to fix a problem with 7800GTs. If you read on to page 2 it seems to be confirmed by an EVGA employee (see post by EVGA_WShelley)

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8008&whichpage=1

Eliminator
09-11-05, 11:31 PM
more reason to see that nvidia has forgotten about the 6800s and theyll never fix the stuttering but instead worry about 7800s which a lot less people have and we're talking minor fixes here like the shimmering..... damn you nvidia.... :thumbdwn: (throwpc)

mike2h
09-12-05, 12:12 AM
'forgetting' the previous generation of gpus is classic nv. really am getting tired of it.

Darkfalz
09-12-05, 12:36 AM
The only people worse at it are Creative Labs.

MidnightWatcher
09-12-05, 01:25 AM
Somehow I think that the nForce3/GeForce 6800 issue isn't hardware. It has to be driver related if OpenGL games don't suffa from da stutta. The fact that nVidia has admitted squat about this tells me they don't give a **** about the end user, just the bottom line.

jAkUp
09-12-05, 01:33 AM
Sweet new drivers :) Nvidia really needs to hurry up and release those 80.XX's though...

OWA
09-12-05, 01:52 AM
'forgetting' the previous generation of gpus is classic nv. really am getting tired of it.
How so? They provide unified drivers that work on every card they've made (except...what model was dropped not too long ago...think it was the TNT).

Electronic Punk
09-12-05, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Knacki99
09-12-05, 03:50 AM
An EVGA employee seems to have been posting to that thread. Lets wait and see. Hope dies last...

rewt
09-12-05, 06:46 AM
Somehow I think that the nForce3/GeForce 6800 issue isn't hardware. It has to be driver related if OpenGL games don't suffa from da stutta. The fact that nVidia has admitted squat about this tells me they don't give a **** about the end user, just the bottom line.

OpenGL applications have almost always run smoother than Direct3D on nVidia cards. I think the studdering issue most likely has to do with a combination of factors, not just drivers, but hardware as well (namely chipset and RAM).

Graphicmaniac
09-12-05, 07:20 AM
They had 1 year for "repair" nv40 probs, if they weren't able to fix them with so much time .. i don't think they will be able do now that they have a new businness.

i think they already did all the possible with nv40 as u can see with drivers there is never been a big improvement in performance but just fixes here and there, so if they didn't fix somethign i think is coz they can't.

Ruined
09-12-05, 07:51 AM
Yeh if theres one thing I learned with video cards, if you don't see it in the first 6 months the card is out you'll never see it. Has always been that way with every company as far as I can remember.

Electronic Punk
09-12-05, 12:20 PM
Two weeks on friday.

OWA
09-12-05, 12:26 PM
Two weeks on friday.
Until a new release?

j0j081
09-12-05, 09:23 PM
People need to stfu about the stutter bug and buy a new mobo. It's obviously not gonna be fixed. I don't get it on my setup unless I OC too much therefore I don't even consider it to be a "bug."

Electronic Punk
09-13-05, 02:29 AM
Thats what I was told, doubt it will be any earlier, but it could of course be later.

omzig
09-13-05, 05:30 AM
People need to stfu about the stutter bug and buy a new mobo. It's obviously not gonna be fixed. I don't get it on my setup unless I OC too much therefore I don't even consider it to be a "bug."

Nice "im OK SO FU JACK" attitude you have there j0j081... :thumbdwn:

Demanufakture
09-13-05, 10:25 AM
Nice "im OK SO FU JACK" attitude you have there j0j081... :thumbdwn:

Well said.

mike2h
09-13-05, 11:07 AM
How so? They provide unified drivers that work on every card they've made (except...what model was dropped not too long ago...think it was the TNT).

just because the gpu is listed in the ini does not mean that they have actually done anything as far as adding enhancements/fixes for it.
nv has been dropping true support for older gpus upon the release of a new one for years. they are well known for it. that is why some people use older driver sets with older cards, they get better stability/perf.

mike2h
09-13-05, 11:09 AM
Thats what I was told, doubt it will be any earlier, but it could of course be later.

love the later part!;) thx for the info.
i am thinking they are going to have some sort of driver release around r520 release. what do you think?

Eliminator
09-13-05, 11:15 AM
why should we waste extra money on a new board... its ridiculous

gram_vaz
09-13-05, 11:20 AM
sell your nf3 board to save money.

rewt
09-13-05, 12:29 PM
Buy VIA save even more.

skoprowski
09-13-05, 01:46 PM
You can get a new Via board for $45.00. That would be the best solution. I have 2 socket 754 systems- one with a NF3 250 and one with a KT800 chipset. I can't tell the difference between the 2 in terms of speed and stability- I'd just get the Via board.

OWA
09-13-05, 02:32 PM
just because the gpu is listed in the ini does not mean that they have actually done anything as far as adding enhancements/fixes for it.
nv has been dropping true support for older gpus upon the release of a new one for years. they are well known for it. that is why some people use older driver sets with older cards, they get better stability/perf.
The latest drivers work fine with my 6800U. Yeah, a long time ago, I would sometimes use older drivers or rather drivers that went with the generation of card I was using b/c the performance was slightly better or didn't really improve with newer drivers. In the last few years though, I've pretty much used the same drivers on all cards and things have worked well. That is, I haven't seen much difference.

Also, the recent profile fix was for all cards. The shimmer fix was needed as soon as possible b/c their flagship card had worse IQ than the last series. It's only natural for the newer cards to be the focus b/c there are usually more problems with the newer cards. By the time the new series comes around, the previous series has been wrung out and there's not going to be a lot of performance improvements, etc. to be had.

Edit: According to some other posts I've seen, looks like I could be wrong and that some of the older drivers are working better with the 6800s. I guess I should stay out of it since I'm not using it in my main system anymore and might not notice any issues that someone using it full-time would see.