PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question re XP Pro (SP 2)

bagman
09-12-05, 01:37 AM
Hi guys
putting together a new system and am completing using XP Pro (sp 2) in lieu of my current OS which is XP Pro (SP 1)
I recall reading that there were some compatability problems with Service Pack 2.
Do you think it's safe enough now to install XP Pro (Service Pack 2 ) now that it's been out for a while ??
Any particular games that yu know of that will have issues with SP2 ??
cheers and thanks
Bagman

jAkUp
09-12-05, 01:39 AM
I have had no issues with any games and SP2

OWA
09-12-05, 02:59 AM
Same here. No issues to report with SP2 and gaming.

The main issue with SP2 is that it defaults to somewhat inconvenient security settings but most of the settings can be customized or turned off.

ricercar
09-12-05, 03:05 AM
Most problems were due to the introduction of the SP2 firewall default settings. in my experience, most revolved around business communications such as VPN connections.

Slyder
09-12-05, 11:19 AM
Only problem I had was with Nero which was fixed a loooooooong time ago. It's safe to say SP2 is mature now and 99% of bugs have been corrected with updated software. ;)

SH64
09-12-05, 02:52 PM
Same here. No issues to report with SP2 and gaming.

The main issue with SP2 is that it defaults to somewhat inconvenient security settings but most of the settings can be customized or turned off.

Ditto!

there are still a couple of security settings i still cant or cant figure how to turn off (explorer & activeX promting stuff) . pretty annoying i should say. makes me wish if i didnt install it at all.

|MaguS|
09-12-05, 04:33 PM
I still haven't installed it, I see no need to...

j0j081
09-12-05, 09:37 PM
I still haven't installed it, I see no need to...
Dumbest tech related post of the night award goes to...MaguS|!!!

But yeah...SP 2 is great especially if integrated for a clean install.

superklye
09-12-05, 10:20 PM
Dumbest tech related post of the night award goes to...MaguS|!!!

But yeah...SP 2 is great especially if integrated for a clean install.
I didn't install SP2 for the first time until March of this year. I saw no need to. It added nothing I needed and only ate up more system resources. But once I got a gig of RAM I figured it was about time.

Now, thanks to the crappy sitewide corporate license Marquette gave me when I was still in the COSC department, I can no longer update XP via Windows Update. I don't have a "valid" key. BS!

Acid Rain
09-12-05, 11:17 PM
I've had no problems in any of the myriads of games and apps I've thrown at XPSP2 since I installed in the day it was available. I actually like the "Do you really want to install this horrible ActiveX program that this invasive site is attempting to install on your computer without your permission?" prompt.

Also, if you don't want Windows Security Center sitting in the taskbar, just open it and click "Change the way security center alerts me" then uncheck all the alerts. Done.

You'll never see it again unless you use Spybot and let it "fix" the Windows Security Center problems (3 of them) it detects. All it's seeing is that the alerts have been turned off, which could indicate a comprimised security situation. I just set spybot to ignore the Windows Security Center checks. (Set mode to advanced, click "Settings, click "Ignore products" and check the top Windows Security Center entry, the third one down, and the last one. This will take care of the annoyance.

It's truly been smooth sailing with the pack.

superklye
09-12-05, 11:25 PM
The other reason I waited was because of the cluster**** of problems that it caused when installed over spyware infested/infected Windows installs. My God...there would be computers that would just reboot endlessly. It was so ridiculous. I worked for an office at school that fixed computer problems and after the 50th computer like that, I decided I was going to wait as long as possible before installing SP2.

OWA
09-13-05, 01:20 AM
You can also just disable the service if you don't need or want the security center.