PDA

View Full Version : CSS/HL² stutter like hell !?

Pages : [1] 2 3

zaG
09-12-05, 09:45 AM
Anyone else ?
All the other games on my computer run smooth as silk (D³, Pacific Fighters, Fear Demo and so on). Got this problem since outcome CSS beta and nothing changed. This engine suxx or is it me :D ? It stutters like hell if i move the mouse slowly over the screen. Driver changes and thousand different Bios settings couldn´t change anything !
Is it hopeless to run CSS/HL² smooth as silk ??? Dammit :thumbdwn:
My frames lies between 75-120 fps and all beneath 120 fps = stutter :(

My Sys:

Athlon 64 3500+ Winni @10x250=2500 // Asus A8V Rev. 2.00 // Gainward Powerpack! 2600 Ultra GS 440/1250 FW 77.77 // 2 x 512 Cosair TwinX PC3200LL @208,4 // Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS // ATA 100 Seagate Barracuda V 60 GB // BeQuiet Netzteil 450W // Win XP SP2

1024x768 2xAA/8xAF, Vsync enabled, all settings to high, CP to quality
The System not overclocked doesn´t change anything, too. :confused:

Whats wrong :confused:

Ruined
09-12-05, 10:00 AM
The Source engine is what's wrong. There are a lot of tweaks you can try to reduce stutter (check out tweakguides.com), but there is a good chance you'll never be able to fully eliminate it. It's a known massive problem with the Source engine that Valve hasn't been able to fix.

Might also want to post on the largest & most popular thread on the HL2 forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216489
The stutter thread, over 1200 posts, 60,000 reads, and 80 pages of info and attempted fixes... still nothing concrete that solves it.

jAkUp
09-12-05, 10:07 AM
Dammit how to you get those little "2"'s and "3"'s??!!

zaG
09-12-05, 10:10 AM
The Source engine is what's wrong. There are a lot of tweaks you can try to reduce stutter (check out tweakguides.com), but there is a good chance you'll never be able to fully eliminate it. It's a known massive problem with the Source engine that Valve hasn't been able to fix.

Thx for your answer but this isn´t making me happy :( What a bummer! They shouldn´t release HDR technology (lost coast) but to care about the stutter problem ! I´m so sad :cry:

zaG
09-12-05, 10:18 AM
Dammit how to you get those little "2"'s and "3"'s??!!

I´m from germany and use a german keyboard ... [ALT Gr]+[2] is for the little 2 and [ALT Gr]+[3] is the little 3 ;) ²..³..²..³ :D Don´t know how it works with US keyboards :confused:

Sorry for my horrible english :o :(

Superfly
09-12-05, 10:28 AM
just play something else, no loss.

Gentle
09-12-05, 10:31 AM
I´m from germany and use a german keyboard ... [ALT Gr]+[2] is for the little 2 and [ALT Gr]+[3] is the little 3 ;) ²..³..²..³ :D Don´t know how it works with US keyboards :confused:

Sorry for my horrible english :o :(

Your English is very good.

What is the Gr key?

Gentle

superklye
09-12-05, 10:33 AM

What is the Gr key?

Gentle
It's the "German" key. Duh! :p

zaG
09-12-05, 10:42 AM

What is the Gr key?

Gentle

[ALT Gr] means "alternate graphics" and you can use it to activate some special characters on the keyboard like @ or € or µ ... and those both mathematic special characters ²..³, too :)

saturnotaku
09-12-05, 12:27 PM
If you start up the character map (found on the start menu in Accessories/System Tools) it will show the proper keystroke to get those characters. Holding down alt then typing 0178 will give you the superscript 2. Half-Life² :D

Riptide
09-12-05, 12:31 PM
The funny thing about this is that CSS used to do this really bad for me. Popping and crackling noises, horrible frame rates, usually in certain areas. Like tunnels on de_dust. Then at some point, not sure when, it just sort of up and quit doing it. Entirely. I'm assuming an update from Valve fixed it for me but I'm not 100% sure. So for some people the problem has gone away and with others it's still there.

I'm curious. Maybe I should play HL2 again and see if it's still doing it for me.

saturnotaku
09-12-05, 12:37 PM
The funny thing about this is that CSS used to do this really bad for me. Popping and crackling noises, horrible frame rates, usually in certain areas. Like tunnels on de_dust. Then at some point, not sure when, it just sort of up and quit doing it. Entirely. I'm assuming an update from Valve fixed it for me but I'm not 100% sure. So for some people the problem has gone away and with others it's still there.

I'm curious. Maybe I should play HL2 again and see if it's still doing it for me.

You also have 2 GB of RAM, which no doubt is helping you. When I play it with 1 GB, the only stutter I get is at the very beginning of a level loading. It's nothing earth shattering, more of an annoyance than anything else.

Riptide
09-12-05, 12:40 PM
CSS never seems to use more than about 800 meg for me. I check task manager after quitting the game sometimes. It stuttered bad when I had 1GB but also quit stuttering before I upgraded to 2GB. Call me lucky but at some point it stopped doing it, at least in CSS. Not sure about HL2, which is why I keep toying with playing it over again just to see. But alas! I am lazy. :p

Rakeesh
09-12-05, 01:33 PM
This is valves signature bug. Specifically, all source games are affected by this. When you play the vampire: bloodlines game, you notice the stuttering and think to yourself: Yep, gabe newell definitely had something to do with this game. If valve got rid of this bug, then how would you ever know the game you were playing was developed by them?

:D

aAv7
09-12-05, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the sutter world of half-life 2. Valve won't even mention the bug, they just pay their bills with the purchase you made.

BEWARE! Make sure you dont waste MORE money on the expansions, they'll suffer from the same bug(s). Complaining about this means nothing if you continue to support such horrible code, and such ignorance from valve.

Rayman1968
09-12-05, 08:48 PM
Turning smooth mouse off actually reduces stuttering/skipping for me in HL2 and CS:S.

j0j081
09-12-05, 09:47 PM
Hmm. I've never really had a problem w/stuttering as you describe it. The new inferno map caused a few problems on my system, mainly areas of the map would chug when going through the first time, but I fixed that by lowering my AA setting. Only real complaint I have is for some reason every now and then when I turn on my flashlight in cs:s the game freezes for a few seconds, then returns to normal.

Rakeesh
09-12-05, 10:01 PM
Hmm. I've never really had a problem w/stuttering as you describe it. The new inferno map caused a few problems on my system, mainly areas of the map would chug when going through the first time, but I fixed that by lowering my AA setting. Only real complaint I have is for some reason every now and then when I turn on my flashlight in cs:s the game freezes for a few seconds, then returns to normal.

It is kind of a hit or miss thing. Some people are affected, others aren't. Though there is quite a significant number of people that are affected to the point that valve should definitely address the problem further, but they don't.

Bokishi
09-13-05, 05:09 PM
Upgrading to a gig of RAM was what fixed it. That's just me though.

GamerGuyX
09-13-05, 05:21 PM
Upgrading to a gig of RAM was what fixed it. That's just me though.

I have 2 Gigs of RAM and the stuttering got worse in Half-Life 2 (compared to 1 Gig of RAM) and Half-life 2 only. :mad:

anzak
09-13-05, 05:28 PM
I have 2 Gigs of RAM and the stuttering got worse in Half-Life 2 (compared to 1 Gig of RAM) and Half-life 2 only. :mad:

128mb of video memory is the problem. Half Life 2 is a video memory hog. Half Life 2 is stutter free on my system with this 256mb 6200TC. 128mb is becoming as bad as 64mb a year ago.

aAv7
09-13-05, 06:52 PM
I have a 6800gt 256mb, 1gig of ram and an amd64 cpu and I get stuttering. It's a bug, it has nothing to do with peoples specs, its pure luck if u get it or not. The people that get it hate valve, the ones that dont have it sit here and ridicule us stutterers... I spell that right?

anzak
09-13-05, 06:59 PM
I have a 6800gt 256mb, 1gig of ram and an amd64 cpu and I get stuttering. It's a bug, it has nothing to do with peoples specs, its pure luck if u get it or not. The people that get it hate valve, the ones that dont have it sit here and ridicule us stutterers... I spell that right?

I know its a bug, but having 128mb of video memory only makes it worse. I used a friend's 128mb Radeon 9600 for a short while and had a slight stuttering issue in Half Life 2. HL2 is a memory hog, its one of the only games that benefit from having a 512mb video card. :wtf:

GamerGuyX
09-14-05, 08:29 PM
128mb of video memory is the problem. Half Life 2 is a video memory hog. Half Life 2 is stutter free on my system with this 256mb 6200TC. 128mb is becoming as bad as 64mb a year ago.

So why then would my performance go down with me adding extra system memory.

anzak
09-14-05, 08:57 PM
So why then would my performance go down with me adding extra system memory.

Probably looser memory timings. Half Life 2 is bound most by the CPU and memory, but lots of video memory is needed to help smooth out the stuttering.

Welcome to the sutter world of half-life 2. Valve won't even mention the bug, they just pay their bills with the purchase you made.

BEWARE! Make sure you dont waste MORE money on the expansions, they'll suffer from the same bug(s). Complaining about this means nothing if you continue to support such horrible code, and such ignorance from valve.

I can't believe people whine like its the end of the world when a game stutters a little. I remember the first week when everyone had the stuttering. Sure, it was a little annoying, but it didn't ruin the game by any means. People are too picky.