PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Versions

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
09-12-05, 11:01 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050910-5298.html

hmmm "ultimate" version contains a game tweaker? Interesting...

superklye
09-12-05, 12:06 PM
Sounds like Ultimate is what I'll be getting :)

Mr_LoL
09-12-05, 03:24 PM
I'll bet you it will cost in excess of 200 quid.

superklye
09-12-05, 04:15 PM
I'll bet $300 for the upgrade and $6-700 for full.

jAkUp
09-12-05, 05:10 PM
What about the OEM version? They will probably be around 200 for the pro

Subtestube
09-12-05, 05:54 PM
Does anyone else think it's just a *tad* ridiculous to have 7 versions? I mean... people who aren't particularly computer literate have enough trouble with "Home" and "Pro" without having 3 versions to choose from, which have features they won't really understand.

superklye
09-12-05, 06:10 PM
Does anyone else think it's just a *tad* ridiculous to have 7 versions? I mean... people who aren't particularly computer literate have enough trouble with "Home" and "Pro" without having 3 versions to choose from, which have features they won't really understand.
Well, see, those are the people that we don't want to have computers. They are the ones that get all the virii and spyware. This is like separating the chaff from the wheat.

Subtestube
09-12-05, 06:15 PM
Well, see, those are the people that we don't want to have computers. They are the ones that get all the virii and spyware. This is like separating the chaff from the wheat.

Haha... nice. Fair call. Meh, I'll probably just get my parents (whom I'm principally worried about) to get a Mac for their next computer.

superklye
09-12-05, 06:43 PM
Haha... nice. Fair call. Meh, I'll probably just get my parents (whom I'm principally worried about) to get a Mac for their next computer.
Heh, good call. Thankfully, my dad is a programmer and is pretty savvy when it comes to virus and spyware removal and he takes care of my mom and bro (who are computer retarded).

j0j081
09-12-05, 10:54 PM
most of those people use whatever version of Windows comes w/their computer so they won't have to worry about making a decision besides between AOL and Compusuck.

superklye
09-12-05, 11:24 PM
most of those people use whatever version of Windows comes w/their computer so they won't have to worry about making a decision besides between AOL and Compusuck.
True, but there is still that section that THINK they know what they're doing, so they'll go to Best Buy or Circuit Sh*tty or CompuSUCK and then scratch their heads for an hour trying to decide which version they need.

Think about it: there are going to be 14 versions of Windows Vista on shelves. Upgrades and full versions...they're going to have their own Windows Vista aisle in all these stores. Yeesh.

DaveW
09-13-05, 11:21 AM
Sounds like Ultimate is what I'll be getting :)

Anyone who has a rig that the do gaming, multimedia AND work on will have to go for the "Ultimate" edition. Sounds like the Pro versions will be useless as a home OS, and the home versions probably won't let you install Visual Studio, SQL Server and IIS.

This is lame.... hey nice OS, it has all these features. Now lets see what features we can remove to repackage it as different products.

Redshirt #24
09-13-05, 11:44 AM
...Microsoft has lost its natural mind.

brady
09-13-05, 05:51 PM
I think they should add one more option to the list. They could call it "Vista Internet Edition." It would basically just be Vista with only IE on it. The user would not be able to install programs, create user accounts, ect.

Infact there would be no need for a "start menu" or anything. The desktop would just be a pretty picture and one little IE icon. This version would be for grandmas, grandpas, and computer retards, and it would protect the rest of us from evil virus and spywarez. :afro:

netviper13
09-13-05, 07:11 PM
Anyone who has a rig that the do gaming, multimedia AND work on will have to go for the "Ultimate" edition. Sounds like the Pro versions will be useless as a home OS, and the home versions probably won't let you install Visual Studio, SQL Server and IIS.

This is lame.... hey nice OS, it has all these features. Now lets see what features we can remove to repackage it as different products.

And yet they'll get away with it because they have >90% marketshare. This would be an amazing time for Apple to release a standalone OSX for the x86 platform.

Sazar
09-13-05, 09:12 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050910-5298.html

hmmm "ultimate" version contains a game tweaker? Interesting...

I wonder if thats just a task manager to shut off some background apps :cool:

Marketing can be cruel sometimes :D

AthlonXP1800
09-15-05, 06:20 PM
Very interesting, it seem Windows Vista Utimate Edition will the flagship, require high end PC, I read somewhere months ago that Utimate Edition require 4GB RAM.

superklye
09-15-05, 08:29 PM
If that's true, that's the most ridiculous requirement I've ever heard.

anzak
09-15-05, 08:42 PM
Very interesting, it seem Windows Vista Utimate Edition will the flagship, require high end PC, I read somewhere months ago that Utimate Edition require 4GB RAM.

System Requirements

Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:

512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM
A dedicated graphics card with DirectX 9.0 support
A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/VistaBeta1FS.mspx

Hopefully this will kill of the rumors of Vista requiring a 4Ghz CPU and 4GB of memory.

AthlonXP1800
09-18-05, 12:31 AM
I found this (http://winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp) from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite about Windows Vista versions, memory support and features. Actually here are not total of 7 versions but 9 versions:

Windows Vista Starter Edition
Windows Vista Home N Edition (Europe only)
Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Windows Vista Professional N Edition (Europe only)
Windows Vista Professional Edition
Windows Vista Small Business Edition
Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

I found something very interesting about activation, only 4 Vista products Starter and Home editions require Windows activation and the other 4 Professional, Small Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions do not require activation. :D

Subtestube
09-18-05, 12:34 AM
Athlon: Yes, but the European versions are just because they aren't allowed to bundle something... is it Media Player? with Windows over there, so they don't really count.

AthlonXP1800
09-18-05, 12:48 AM
Athlon: Yes, but the European versions are just because they aren't allowed to bundle something... is it Media Player? with Windows over there, so they don't really count.

Yes that right Home N Edition will not included both Windows Media Player 11 and related components that Home Basic Edition will have it included.

j0j081
09-18-05, 10:04 AM
I found something very interesting about activation, only 4 Vista products Starter and Home editions require Windows activation and the other 4 Professional, Small Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions do not require activation. :D
Are you sure? I figured activation would be even tougher this time...

retsam
09-18-05, 10:41 AM
found something very interesting about activation, only 4 Vista products Starter and Home editions require Windows activation and the other 4 Professional, Small Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions do not require activation. sorry but this is completly wrong...were did you get this from..i work with resalers and m$ is gonna make it much harder to get around activation. hell they even want to get rid of corperate keys...

AthlonXP1800
09-18-05, 05:51 PM
sorry but this is completly wrong...were did you get this from..i work with resalers and m$ is gonna make it much harder to get around activation. hell they even want to get rid of corperate keys...

You cant missed it...

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9485/license7rf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I read a few days ago about Corporate licensing, Microsoft has massive problem with piracy, almost all piracy copy of XP were using VLK. Now Microsoft going to change it in Vista, they got rid of VLK and introduce Software Assurance (http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170703857) program for Corporate customers, they need to signed it to obtain a copy of Vista Enterprise Edition.