PDA

View Full Version : Moving RAIDs to a different system

superklye
09-12-05, 11:20 AM
Okay, say I get a SATA RAID0 going and then get a new motherboard. Can I simply take the drives and keeping them on their respective channels on the new board (so drive 1 would stay on SATA1 and drive 2 on SATA2), would I be able to keep my data and everything, or would I have to reformat and re-setup the entire RAID on the new board?

BrianG
09-12-05, 11:35 AM
You should be able to move the drives, turn on the RAID and retreive your data. I had to do that after the 6.66 drivers borked my system. I installed Windows on my storage drive, added the RAID drivers and then hooked up the RAID drives as the D: drive to pull all my docs off. I then ripped a DVD with all of that data and wiped all drives clean for a fresh install of XP using the 6.53. It was a PITA.

My recommendation is to back up all your data and start fresh and new...

superklye
09-12-05, 11:41 AM
Okay, thanks Brian. I figured I would probably end up doing that anyway...it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

Oh, and these drives in the RAID would just be storage. I have a PATA 60GB drive that is where Windows is installed.

Strahd
09-12-05, 12:13 PM
You can do it as long as the chipsets on the motherboards and the raid controller is the same since the raid configuration is actually written to the hard drives and loaded by the raid controller when the PC boots. It might work if it's not the exact same raid controller but the same manufacturer. I have to concur with Brain though, atleast the back up your data part :)

superklye
09-12-05, 12:15 PM
Both would be NVRAID (I'd be going from nFORCE3 to nFORCE4), but yeah, I'll definitely backup my data, assuming I get the RAID before I get the nFORCE4 board.

Thanks for your help/input guys.

ENU291
09-12-05, 02:27 PM
From my experience RAID 0 arrays are super sensitive. Like BrianG and Strahd stated, the best thing to do is to back up all your important data... install the new motherboard and then try to rebuild your array. If your data does get corrupted your back ups will get you through. One last thing... using a RAID 0 array for back up purposes is a BAD idea! I suggest you break the RAID and use the drives independantly. In RAID 0 mode if anything happens to one of those drives all your data is lost!

FastM
09-12-05, 03:50 PM
Okay, say I get a SATA RAID0 going and then get a new motherboard. Can I simply take the drives and keeping them on their respective channels on the new board (so drive 1 would stay on SATA1 and drive 2 on SATA2), would I be able to keep my data and everything, or would I have to reformat and re-setup the entire RAID on the new board?

Is your system booting from this Array? If it is then you might have a problem, if not, it should get detected right away.

superklye
09-12-05, 03:50 PM
No, I know that, but I like living on the edge. I've lost 7 HDDs in the last year; I come to expect it now. If I lose one, well, just another notch in the ol' belt. Plus, having one 600GB drive is much more flexible than two 300s.

einstein_314
09-12-05, 08:17 PM
Whoa, I was going to ask this exact question today. Weird. Anyways, what about a RAID 1 array? Right now I have a single drive as my boot and a RAID 1 array for my storage. If I just move the 2 storage ones to my new mobo that's arriving hopefully tomorrow :D (DFI LanParty SLI-DR) and configure it so they are in a RAID 1 array, will it work?