PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled BFG 7800 GTX w/warranty? Wake up eVGA!

Strahd
09-12-05, 10:39 AM
I am considering going to a water cooled PC after I upgrade to an AMD FX-57 and was getting an idea of costs and products associated with water cooling systems and blocks.

I usually buy eVGA because I have not had any problems with any of the cards I have bought from them so I went there first. I didn't see anything related to water cooling or blocks (ACS3 doesn't count for what I was looking for). So I emailed them and they told me they offered no water blocks and putting one on my card would void the warranty. I kinda thought that was lame.......

I decided to check out BFG and I was shocked to find that not only did they offer a water blocked 7800, but BFG warrantied it! I may go with the BFG for my PCIe video card when I make the upgrade.

Wake up eVGA!

As a side note, if anyone can recommend a water cooled system besides the exos 2 or any koolance product that would be worthy of any enthusiasts to consider, please let me know.

superklye
09-12-05, 11:10 AM
I can't see that offering a water-cooled option would be in their best interest as that is still something of a niche market, but at least changing their warranty policies to allowing enthusiasts to put a waterblock on without voiding the warranty would be a good move, I would think.

Strahd
09-12-05, 12:40 PM
If my competitor was doing something I wasn't then I would have to atleast explore the possibility of me doing it too. I haven't known a company do something that would intentionally cost money if they sold it. Maybe eVGA has and haven't found a way to do it like BFG has.

I can't see either company letting anyone put a water block on their cards and still being able to warranty it. To easy to damage a card that way. Atleast with BFG, the hardest part of getting the block on there correctly and testing it they know as long as the water lines are correctly installed, the GPU is protected.

It definetly puts a point in BFG's hat for it!

wheeljack12
09-12-05, 04:16 PM
strahd, BFG is the only I know of that has Water Block cooled video cards. So, go easy on EVGA, they aren't the worst company out there!

superklye
09-12-05, 05:04 PM
No they definitely are not. I love eVGA. They are my video card supplier of choice. :)

|MaguS|
09-12-05, 05:36 PM
eVGA became my favorite company with my new parts... I love the MB and Card, so stable it brings a tear to my eye.

I miss my PC already... cheap P.O.S. Compaq my parents have...

Cruel_Logic
09-12-05, 06:23 PM
As a side note, if anyone can recommend a water cooled system besides the exos 2 or any koolance product that would be worthy of any enthusiasts to consider, please let me know.

Personally I would go with danger den, their stuff is all expensive and works extremely well. You would have to build it yourself, but for performance you can't beat it. Got my 3.4 to 4.1 and hasnt crashed in months. (you said enthusiast :))

MikeC
09-14-05, 12:17 PM
I usually buy eVGA because I have not had any problems with any of the cards I have bought from them so I went there first. I didn't see anything related to water cooling or blocks (ACS3 doesn't count for what I was looking for). So I emailed them and they told me they offered no water blocks and putting one on my card would void the warranty.

Just got an email from Joe Darwin, who is EVGA's Director of Technical Marketing. Joe said that as long as there is no physical damage, EVGA will warrant their products if the user decides to change the cooling to a water cooled solution.

J-Mag
09-14-05, 12:22 PM
Just got an email from Joe Darwin, who is EVGA's Director of Technical Marketing. Joe said that as long as there is no physical damage, EVGA will warrant their products if the user decides to change the cooling to a water cooled solution.

99% of all companies out there will say this even though it is directly against their RMA policy. RMA policy's are designed to eliminate as many returns as possible, yet at the same time these OEM's want to keep their customers happy.

Auswak
09-14-05, 01:03 PM
I am considering going to a water cooled PC after I upgrade to an AMD FX-57 and was getting an idea of costs and products associated with water cooling systems and blocks.

I usually buy eVGA because I have not had any problems with any of the cards I have bought from them so I went there first. I didn't see anything related to water cooling or blocks (ACS3 doesn't count for what I was looking for). So I emailed them and they told me they offered no water blocks and putting one on my card would void the warranty. I kinda thought that was lame.......

I decided to check out BFG and I was shocked to find that not only did they offer a water blocked 7800, but BFG warrantied it! I may go with the BFG for my PCIe video card when I make the upgrade.

Wake up eVGA!

Hi Strahd,

I would very much like to contact you regarding the email you received from EVGA about adding water cooling to your video card voiding your warranty.

That information you received is incorrect.

EVGA will honor the Warranty if you add watercooling or even another aftermarket cooling device, so long as there is no physical damage to the GPU, PCB or components.

It is clearly stated on the website on the Lifetime Warranty page.

:D