PDA

View Full Version : The UGLY side of the nForce2...

PsychoSy
12-27-02, 07:18 AM
I was thinking of nabbing the Chaintech Zenith but after reading some threads at AMDMB.Com's forums, it's looking quite ugly, not just with the Chaintech boards but Asus, Abit, and Epox nForce2 boards as well.

See for yourself...

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178300

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178697

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181001

Now, most of these threads contain alot of gripes from mad overclockers but there are a few that haven't overclocked their systems and just *poof* dead board about 72 hours later or so (especially tweaking memory timings in the Asus board, saving and exiting the bios).

Kinda makes me worried. :(

ReDeeMeR
12-27-02, 08:46 AM
Well u can always RMA it.

pelly
12-27-02, 09:20 AM
I'm actually in the middle of reviewing the Chaintech 7NJS mobo as we speak...Thus far, it has been solid as a rock and has been a stellar performer...

I'll let you know if anything wold and crazy happens before I post the review....though I imagine the board will continue to work flawlessly...

:D

SavagePaladin
01-01-03, 12:35 PM
This appears a pretty limited experience. I haven't heard mass griping anyway.

You can get crap like this with any computer stuff, just gotta be at the wrong place and wrong time.

Of course, I refuse to go with the Chaintech due to the lack of awesome audio :)

I'm thinking maybe Albatron, or one with dual LAN...hard to say

Then theres the funny thing about overclocking. Do you ever really know if you're damaging things, until they're gone?

(I know I'm a bit late, but I haven't been so religious with keeping up with the forumses lately)

pelly
01-01-03, 12:38 PM
I don't think it's possible for me to not overclock...the idea of getting more for your $ is just too inviting... :D

SavagePaladin
01-01-03, 12:39 PM
I don't have that option. if my stuff stops working, then i have a hard time replacing it :p

Matthyahuw
01-01-03, 01:29 PM
I don't get the guy who said he POSTed his Chaintech with PC133 :confused:

Nephilim
01-01-03, 07:28 PM
I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and have had smooth operation since I installed it.

Even flashed to the latest BIOS (without having to make a boot disk :D :D )....still running like a champ.

Haven't done any OCing on it yet. I'm waiting until I get a better HSF, or a watercooling kit.

intercede007
01-04-03, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I don't get the guy who said he POSTed his Chaintech with PC133 :confused:

Yeah, right? I didn't want to say anything, but I am totally with you on that one. Are they just being differant and saying PC133 is PC2100, and then PC166 is PC2700? I dont get it :(

Gator
01-04-03, 08:45 AM
i gotta admit I'm worried myself

a friend of mine and his nephew got 2 identical Asus Nforce2 boards. My friend has had no trouble and is overclocking and working GREAT. His nephew has had nothing but problems! It's almost like using an Nforce2 board is a flip of the coin :(

Kruno
01-04-03, 09:01 AM
Maybe you should try that? :)
Heads it works and tails it fails. :D

RMA = Refusing Medical Attention

Why do you want to do that? ;)

Return Manufacturere Authorization?

Matthyahuw
01-04-03, 01:11 PM
Yes KILER, it's Refusing Medical Attention, how did you know? :rolleyes:

I'm a bit upset that you are going down the dark path as of late, you are not doing anything wrong perse, but if you want to stick to wisecracks, keep it in the open forum plz...

The tech forums are for constructive discussion only, thx

Silvermane
01-04-03, 06:47 PM
I just picked up the MSI Nforce 2 board yesterday, and from what I have experienced so far it isn't likely I'll be going back to VIA anytime soon.

I'll post back if I encounter any problems.

This board rocks! :D :D :D