PDA

View Full Version : noob question about SLI compatablity...help!

guitarwolf
09-12-05, 08:45 PM
so, i'm basically building a new gaming system.
the only thing i'm keeping from my old system is my vid card.
it is an nvidia eVGA GeForce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 8x.

here's my problem...
i purchased this processor...AMD Athlon 64 processor 4000+* (2.4GHz) 939-pin with san diego core.
now, here's where i get confused, and it has more to do with my lack of understanding of SLI...i'm trying to figure out which mobo to get. i've been looking at this one...Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.

my question is...is my vid card compatible with this processor and mobo?
or, is my vid card compatible with my new processor, and if so, what should i be looking for in terms of mobo's?

as far as RAM goes, i'm looking at this...1GB corsair twinx 3200ll pro ddr, or this one...Corsair XMS XPert RAM. i know i should be looking for 2-2-2-5.

sorry to be so long winded, but i'm at my wits end with this and i don't want to proceed until i have a better understanding of what i got and what i need.

please help!!!

SH64
09-12-05, 09:57 PM
Your CPU/RAM/Mobo setup is cool though the video card is not! because its an AGP.
you will need a brand new PCI-Express (16x) 6800GT/Ultra or whatever class you are looking for. they both should be PCI-E not AGP & both cards should be the exact same brand/model aswell.
your current video card is not compatible with the mobo/cpu setup.

guitarwolf
09-12-05, 10:32 PM
cool!

ok, so i get a PCI express vid card.

another dumb question...if i get that SLI mobo, am i required to put 2 vid cards in it right now, or will it work just fine with one?
i would have to get another card down the road.

SH64
09-12-05, 10:41 PM
Yes you can have only 1 now if you like to add the other later. the SLI mobos can work in either Single or Dual (SLI) modes.
also make sure to get an SLI compatible PSU. for ex. a PSU with 2 PCI-E connectors just to make it easier for you.
i recommend a 500W+ PSU. the recent/future video cards are requiring more power so make your PC as future proof as possible.

guitarwolf
09-12-05, 10:48 PM
awesome!!!
thanks for the help!!!