PDA

View Full Version : Broken Capacitor on a 6800GT

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_LoL
09-13-05, 09:49 AM
Being careless when upgrading I broke a capacitor from my GT when removing it from my case. Is it just a case of soldering it back toghther as i'd like to give the card to my sister?

brady
09-13-05, 10:50 AM
Yikes! Honestly I have no idea, but I'm sure somebody around knows...

Acid Rain
09-13-05, 05:40 PM
Being careless when upgrading I broke a capacitor from my GT when removing it from my case. Is it just a case of soldering it back toghther as i'd like to give the card to my sister?You can try. It might be tough with that type of capaciter though. You may have to solder a short piece of two conducter sheethed wire to the capaciter and the card, as there is no space to get under there with that capaciter's wide base. Also, I believe the pinout is important, so be sure to hook it up the same way it was initially.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 05:46 PM
Well.. good luck its extremely difficult to solder those correctly without expensive tools. Some caps are actually not needed for the short term use of the card, it could effect its long term stability however.

brady
09-13-05, 06:21 PM
Well.. good luck its extremely difficult to solder those correctly without expensive tools. Some caps are actually not needed for the short term use of the card, it could effect its long term stability however.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything cuz I don't want anyone to blame me if thier card gets fried, but If it were mine I would have tried it out with the broken cap.

-=DVS=-
09-13-05, 10:13 PM
Only one cap , hopefully smart engineers put redundant cap or two , incase one fails.
I woud leave 3dmark looping for several hours and see if any problem occurs. BTW anyone know what purpose those caps serve ? voltage regulation ?

betterdan
09-13-05, 10:22 PM
I broke a cap off of our 6800 GT in the Pentium system while taking it out to clean it. This was a few months ago and it is still running just fine without the cap. I tried to solder it but it was too hard. I believe the cap that was broken on ours is the same one as in your pic or the one beside it.
If I were you I would just stick it back in and try it out. We have had not one problem with ours since it had the broken off cap. Good luck.

maxima420
09-14-05, 05:28 PM
god just solder it back on.
this is SIMPLE.
if you can't solder it find any college student/grad who is taking EE.

so if a lugnut broke off your car would you still drive it?
if you were missing 1 brakepad out of 8 would you still drive?

my point is yes it may work but is it worth the risk.

and to the comment about maybe they put extra caps on the board???
what are you thinking. ya lets put extra parts on the board that do nothing just incase someone breaks one off?!? ya it's not like they are trying to make money. every part they don't have to put on is more money for them at the end of the day. when you build a thousands of units every little bit adds up quick and cuts into your bottom line.

conclusion:
fix the board if you can't get someone else to. simple as that. or if nothing else bridge it.

jAkUp
09-14-05, 06:04 PM
If a lugnut or brakepad is missing on your car you could die. I seriously doubt he would die because a capacitor fell off his card. Hopefully his safety is more important than a capicator.

I was told BY the eVGA Technicians that most capicators are not necessary for the short term use of the card. But they could effect the long term use. That is what they told me after I accidentaly busted one on my 6800 Ultra.

Basically, without the capicator it could not be feeding the correct voltage to a specific area, so if you plan on using it for years, well, maybe you should get it fixed. I'm willing to bet the card works great for now though.

j0j081
09-15-05, 05:05 AM
god just solder it back on.
this is SIMPLE.
if you can't solder it find any college student/grad who is taking EE.

so if a lugnut broke off your car would you still drive it?
if you were missing 1 brakepad out of 8 would you still drive?

my point is yes it may work but is it worth the risk.

and to the comment about maybe they put extra caps on the board???
what are you thinking. ya lets put extra parts on the board that do nothing just incase someone breaks one off?!? ya it's not like they are trying to make money. every part they don't have to put on is more money for them at the end of the day. when you build a thousands of units every little bit adds up quick and cuts into your bottom line.

conclusion:
fix the board if you can't get someone else to. simple as that. or if nothing else bridge it.
nice attitude for a newb. you are going to fit in great.

Acid Rain
09-15-05, 05:18 AM
nice attitude for a newb. you are going to fit in great.For sure. I'm thinking this person has never tried to solder one of those wide base, snug fit capaciters before. Not to mention, I believe they are fit in place on the line first, then soldered from the backside at the assembly plant. Easy to solder with no room whatsoever..yeah...:rolleyes:

Hmmm, what have we here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=501094&postcount=28)? How wonderful.

particleman
09-15-05, 11:03 AM
I broke off one of those types of capacitors before, it can be pretty hard to solder back on with the black piece of plastic on the bottom still there, but if you remove the black piece of plastic on the capacitor there is much more room to work with. Another thing you could try if you aren't good at soldering is to just align the contacts and use some electrical tape to hold it down.

jAkUp
09-15-05, 12:18 PM
For sure. I'm thinking this person has never tried to solder one of those wide base, snug fit capaciters before. Not to mention, I believe they are fit in place on the line first, then soldered from the backside at the assembly plant. Easy to solder with no room whatsoever..yeah...:rolleyes:

Hmmm, what have we here (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=501094&postcount=28)? How wonderful.

I'm pretty sure those are surface mounted, so without expensive tools, its nearly impossible to do correctly.

Mr_LoL
09-15-05, 12:20 PM
I plan on taking it to a computer shop tomorrow to see what they can do. I cant just bin a 250 pound card just like that. That black peice is making things overly complicated. I think its just there to support the capacitor. Trying to boot into windows with that card gives severe corruption.

Acid Rain
09-15-05, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure those are surface mounted, so without expensive tools, its nearly impossible to do correctly.So, you are agreeing, yes? I can't tell.

jAkUp
09-15-05, 08:10 PM
hehe Yes I'm agreeing :)

Acid Rain
09-15-05, 09:47 PM
hehe Yes I'm agreeing :)Good. You were one post away from my hate list..err..yeah..hate list... :D

maxima420
09-17-05, 01:00 PM
For sure. I'm thinking this person has never tried to solder one of those wide base, snug fit capaciters before. Not to mention, I believe they are fit in place on the line first, then soldered from the backside at the assembly plant. Easy to solder with no room whatsoever..yeah...:rolleyes:

why did you quote me? are you trying to prove something? i unlocked a 6800 and it started having major problems which is a well known possible problem when you unlock a pipe which could be damaged. please explain why you think my quote is wonderful and why you quoted me. i don't see the relevance in doing so. please enlighten me. maybe your trying to prove i'm a 'newb' some how?

i'v soldered plenty of caps onto boards. if it was easy they wouldn't pay technicians to do it for a living. as i said in my above post if you can't do it yourself bring it to someone who can. anyone who says it's fine the way it is, is a moron imho.

also me fitting in with you guys on this forum is the least of my worries. honestly i can't think why i would care or get offended by what some pimply faced youth 5000 miles away from me thinks of my posts. i was giving advice. good advice. correct advice. don't come down on me for that. if you think me telling him to fix his card is; out of line, stupid, or outrageous...then eat it.

nice attitude for a newb. you are going to fit in great.

i am a newb because of my lack of posts? great reasoning. i'm not worried about fitting in with you. trust me. if i was i would start complimenting you guys and kissing arse like a few people i see on here. "Oh jAkUp you are soo cool and you box is soo leet how can i be more like you!!!!" please that crap makes me sick. please explain how i am a 'newb' all i did was tell him the correct and proper way of fixing his card and the steps in which he needed to go about doing it. and why not doing it was a bad choice. oh and i told off whoever said you don't need that cap.

what expensive tools would those be exactly?
and some caps are need for short term use of the card. why roll the dice? fix things corectly and properly the 1st time means there will be no problems relating to your fix later down the road.

I plan on taking it to a computer shop tomorrow to see what they can do. I cant just bin a 250 pound card just like that. That black peice is making things overly complicated. I think its just there to support the capacitor. Trying to boot into windows with that card gives severe corruption.

WOW who would have thought that cap was actually needed!
looks like someone is doing exactly what i said to do!
hmm guess this 'newb' was right after all huh?

your new best friend,
--jon

Acid Rain
09-17-05, 01:40 PM
why did you quote me? are you trying to prove something? i unlocked a 6800 and it started having major problems which is a well known possible problem when you unlock a pipe which could be damaged. maybe your trying to prove i'm a 'newb' some how?Your returning fully functional equipment simply because it wouldn't run out of factory specification is the problem. This behavior is taxing on the vendors, and, ultimately, taxing on the rest of us; hence: badness. I don't like badness. ;)
also me fitting in with you guys on this forum is the least of my worries. honestly i can't think why i would care or get offended by what some pimply faced youth 5000 miles away from me thinks of my posts. Most of us here are years away from pimples, and most of us post responsibly, regardless of whether or not we're anonymous. It's called being responsible for one's actions regardless of whether or not someone is physically in the vicinity watching. What a person does when they think no-one is watching is a direct reflection on their true character.

From time to time we say the wrong things (I certainly have), but those of us that stay here learn from our mistakes and correct them. If you do the same, you'll stay, if not, eventually you will be removed.

maxima420
09-17-05, 01:59 PM
ok.

betterdan
09-17-05, 04:52 PM
anyone who says it's fine the way it is, is a moron imho.
Umm Just an update, my card is still running fine without the capacitor. Sorry maxima but this time your theory is crap. Yes it would be preferable to get it fixed but that doesn't change the fact that my board is running fine and has been for a few months.
I am not exactly sure what that cap does that came off mine but maybe it was for use in the video out section of the card or something that I don't use. Anyways you are wrong this time, my card is running just fine. Just wanted to let you know so you can step down from your almighty throne. :D

j0j081
09-18-05, 09:28 AM
i am a newb because of my lack of posts? great reasoning. i'm not worried about fitting in with you. trust me. if i was i would start complimenting you guys and kissing arse like a few people i see on here. "Oh jAkUp you are soo cool and you box is soo leet how can i be more like you!!!!" please that crap makes me sick. please explain how i am a 'newb' all i did was tell him the correct and proper way of fixing his card and the steps in which he needed to go about doing it. and why not doing it was a bad choice. oh and i told off whoever said you don't need that cap.

im obviously referring to you being new to the forums. generally when you are new somewhere, it's not a good idea to come off as a dick unless you are just passing through or trolling.

zoomy942
09-18-05, 10:41 AM
Dear Maxima420,

Welcome to Nvnews. we are all friends here, and we have a hard time taking in people who act very aggresive right from the beginning. So, please calm down and if you have a problem with a member, keep it to pm's. if you have a problem with how people are acting towards someone, resist the urge to post about it. and if jakup's l33t machine bothers you, too bad... it's one helluva uber-pc.:)

welcome, but be a little more friendly

zoomy942

Mr_LoL
09-18-05, 11:08 AM
I might just superglue that cap back on and do a sneaky rma :angel: You never know it might fool them.

ViN86
09-18-05, 12:08 PM
If a lugnut or brakepad is missing on your car you could die. I seriously doubt he would die because a capacitor fell off his card. Hopefully his safety is more important than a capicator.
i dont know jAkUp, without that cap, the charge could build up so high over time that evetually the air is broken down by the voltage, delivering a large voltage surge to whoever is closest, rendering them lifeless...... </sarcasm>

yea...... that could happen...... :D