PDA

View Full Version : The Koolance EXOS2 & A8N-SLI Premium

Strahd
09-13-05, 12:51 PM
I have decided it is time to upgrade my system from AGP to PCIe. I need some opinions. I am going to setup a water cooled CPU and GPU inside my thermaltake shark and I have decided to go with the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (other recommendations are encouraged.) I'm not a big OC'er but I do like the option to bump things up a little bit. Anyway, I have decided to try BFG's water cooled 7800 @490/1300. Anyone have this and can give me their opinion on it?

I have also decided to upgrade my CPU from an FX-55 to an FX-57. I know what some of you are going to say but my reasons are not just the 200mhz upgrade, but because the memory controller will allow me to use 4 banks @200mhz (I want to run 4 GB's without a page file and before you ask, because I can :D) and it doesn't run as hot as my FX-55 (which is going into my wife's PC I am building for her.)

So, I'm only going for one video card right now because my monitor will only display 1280x1024 which really doesn't push a SLI system. After I recover from this upgrade cost, then I can look at a 2nd card plus a monitor with a higher resolution.

I am looking for anyones opinion on my choice of a water cooled system and the motherboard :D

Ninjaman09
09-13-05, 01:04 PM
I have decided it is time to upgrade my system from AGP to PCIe. I need some opinions. I am going to setup a water cooled CPU and GPU inside my thermaltake shark and I have decided to go with the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (other recommendations are encouraged.) I'm not a big OC'er but I do like the option to bump things up a little bit. Anyway, I have decided to try BFG's water cooled 7800 @490/1300. Anyone have this and can give me their opinion on it?

I have also decided to upgrade my CPU from an FX-55 to an FX-57. I know what some of you are going to say but my reasons are not just the 200mhz upgrade, but because the memory controller will allow me to use 4 banks @200mhz (I want to run 4 GB's without a page file and before you ask, because I can :D) and it doesn't run as hot as my FX-55 (which is going into my wife's PC I am building for her.)

So, I'm only going for one video card right now because my monitor will only display 1280x1024 which really doesn't push a SLI system. After I recover from this upgrade cost, then I can look at a 2nd card plus a monitor with a higher resolution.

I am looking for anyones opinion on my choice of a water cooled system and the motherboard :D

I think you should buy your wife a Dell and just buy the A8N-SLI. I'm pretty sure the BFG runs stock at 490/1300 (or maybe it's 470, can't remember). Upgrading your CPU is totally pointless and running 4GB without a page file is equally pointless. You will end up spending well over a thousand dollars to see no noticable performance gain. I'd say defintely go for the PCI-Express and 7800 but ditch the rest of that stuff.

And if you're absolutely adamant about it, the Koolance system would be great since it's so easy for a beginner to set up. I had no trouble with mine last year. The motherboard is a great one as well, can't go wrong there. :)

Strahd
09-13-05, 01:12 PM
I'm not buying a Dell for my wife to play games on, that is lame. The BFG is not stock at 470, 460 is the max I saw on their website using air. Anyway, I'm giving my current setup to my wife for her game maching and I'm sure as hell not buying another FX-55 for me when the FX-57 is out. The 4GB might be lame but since I can get an extra 2 GB for less then 300 dollars, it is hardly pointless. Now running without a page file might be pointless but it will be an interesting experiment.

Now, can I have an opinion on the motherboard and exos2?

Edit: Did you edit your post? I could have sworn those last 2 sentences weren't there when I replied :P

Ninjaman09
09-13-05, 01:39 PM
I'm not buying a Dell for my wife to play games on, that is lame. The BFG is not stock at 470, 460 is the max I saw on their website using air. Anyway, I'm giving my current setup to my wife for her game maching and I'm sure as hell not buying another FX-55 for me when the FX-57 is out. The 4GB might be lame but since I can get an extra 2 GB for less then 300 dollars, it is hardly pointless. Now running without a page file might be pointless but it will be an interesting experiment.
Yeah I mean, go for it if you really want to. Just saying, the end result is more than likely going to be disappointment and you're out over a thousand bucks. Just something to think about from someone who did the exact same thing (almost) that you're thinking of doing. ;)

Edit: Did you edit your post? I could have sworn those last 2 sentences weren't there when I replied :P
Yep, realized I didn't even answer your question. Though I edited it about 2 seconds after I posted so you must have been watching the thread like a hawk (or timed it well). I will repeat: Koolance EXOS systems are awesome for first-time water coolers. I haven't even seen their EXOS 2 yet, might have to check that out sometime. And I'm pretty sure the A8N-SLI is universally considered the best SLI board around. So, you can't go wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Strahd
09-13-05, 02:08 PM
Yeah I mean, go for it if you really want to. Just saying, the end result is more than likely going to be disappointment and you're out over a thousand bucks.

Wait, where am I going to be out over 1k? Did I miss something?

Roliath
09-13-05, 06:25 PM
Hey, well I agree with getting the FX-57 if it will run cooler, and if its watercooled they can hit like 3.0Ghz easily. Good choice on the video card, can't beat a watercooled BFG 7800GTX with a warranty! The A8N SLI Premium seems to be a great board right now, so good choice on that one! And also good choice on the Koolance EXOS-2 that's on my next upgrade list along with a 74GB raptor.

Only thing is with you FX55 you couldn't run 4 dimms at 200Mhz, hell my newcastle could do that!

Ninjaman09
09-14-05, 12:24 PM
Wait, where am I going to be out over 1k? Did I miss something?
An Athlon 64 FX-57 and a new watercooling setup is gonna run you over 1k, not to mention other parts you'll need to replace if you're buying a new system. Is your wife a hardcore gamer? If not a simple 3000+ Venice would work just fine, and keep your FX-55. That's kind of what I was getting at.

Roch
09-14-05, 03:53 PM
It really depends on how much OCing you're going to be doing. You should hit 3gig easily with an FX57, especially using a XP90, Big Typhoon or 9500LED, you won't need water for that, I've got an FX55 stable at 2.9 with 1.42v for example. Most GTX's can hit 480-490 with the standard coolers so really you don't need to WC them either.

However, If you want to WC just because, well, I agree with Ninjaman, an EXOS is a nice piece of kit. I had one last year for exactly the same reason, I just fancied it, (Cooling A 3800 Newcastle and 2x6800gt's). For me, it was fun to do but after a while I tired of the computer room smelling of coolant, it making a racket in mode 3 and developing OCD tendencies about leaks :D .

If you've got the cash and you want to experiment, go for it but you don't need to.

Hope this helps.

Strahd
09-15-05, 11:30 AM
An Athlon 64 FX-57 and a new watercooling setup is gonna run you over 1k, not to mention other parts you'll need to replace if you're buying a new system. Is your wife a hardcore gamer? If not a simple 3000+ Venice would work just fine, and keep your FX-55. That's kind of what I was getting at.

My wife games also and her PC died. She and I play alot of games together across our home network. By giving her my FX-55, I won't have to worry about upgrading her for a year or two and with me getting a FX-57, then I won't have to worry about it either.

I decided against water and went with eVGA's 7800 KO edition with ACS3 instead of water cooling. I'll buy another descent PC case and power supply and the only thing I may buy in the next year is a second video card and monitor and try out SLI, but that will be later down the road when I recover from this upgrade :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.

Ninjaman09
09-15-05, 11:38 AM
My wife games also and her PC died. She and I play alot of games together across our home network. By giving her my FX-55, I won't have to worry about upgrading her for a year or two and with me getting a FX-57, then I won't have to worry about it either.

I decided against water and went with eVGA's 7800 KO edition with ACS3 instead of water cooling. I'll buy another descent PC case and power supply and the only thing I may buy in the next year is a second video card and monitor and try out SLI, but that will be later down the road when I recover from this upgrade :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it.
Cool, well enjoy your new setup when you get it up and running, especially that 7800 GTX KO!! I'm looking to buy one of the ACS addon kits myself. :D

Roch
09-16-05, 06:08 AM
Good luck Strahd! :)

Strahd
09-16-05, 11:56 AM
Well I decided to post what I decided to get for my new system since my wife decided she wanted mine!

I chose a Lian-Li case this time, the PC-V1200B plus
I chose the Seasonic S12-600 PSU
The AMD FX-57
Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) Platinum System Memory
The eVGA 7800 KO edition with ACS3 ( only 1 for now )
The SI-120 CPU cooler with an Enermax 12cm fan.

I just received an email from Newegg with a tracking # for the video card, woohoo!! I'll see about getting some pics up when I get it put together.

Ninjaman09
09-16-05, 11:58 AM
Well I decided to post what I decided to get for my new system since my wife decided she wanted mine!

I chose a Lian-Li case this time, the PC-V1200B plus
I chose the Seasonic S12-600 PSU
The AMD FX-57
Asus A8N-SLI Premium MB
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) Platinum System Memory
The eVGA 7800 KO edition with ACS3 ( only 1 for now )
The SI-120 CPU cooler with an Enermax 12cm fan.

I just received an email from Newegg with a tracking # for the video card, woohoo!! I'll see about getting some pics up when I get it put together.
Your computer is going to be disgustingly awesome. :D

Strahd
09-16-05, 12:02 PM
Your computer is going to be disgustingly awesome. :D

LOL, I can live with disgustingly awesome :)