PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi worth buying ??

Arto*
09-13-05, 06:02 PM
Im thinking about upgrading my sound card to a Creative X-Fi. Will there be a major change in performance going from an Augidy 2 zs to an X-Fi ?? And also will there be a change in gameplay (Battlefield 2)?? Thanks!

jAkUp
09-13-05, 06:11 PM
If you notice BF2 has a ultra high quality setting. That is ONLY for X-Fi users. The reviews are saying the sound quality on the Ultra setting is amazing.

I think its worth it. People are gonna try to tell you its not worth it. But thats more to do with thier personal hate torwards Creative, rather than an unbiased look at the card. Read some reviews, its a worthy upgrade over an Audigy 2ZS.

I am gonna get the Fatal1ty card because that is the cheapest model with 64mb of ram onboard.

Many people complain about Creative's drivers, and they used to have a worthy argument. But the last year or so I have had my Audigy 2ZS, I have had almost no issues with sound at all. That is my unbiased look at Creative :D

OWA
09-13-05, 06:51 PM
From early results, it doesn't look like it'll improve framerates a lot or anything but in terms of sound quality, it is supposed to be really good. I'm really excited about it b/c they've supposedly dramatically improved headphone support giving a pretty good approximation of 5.1 sound with regular headphones. I plan to go for the fatal1ty model also.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 07:15 PM
From early results, it doesn't look like it'll improve framerates a lot or anything but in terms of sound quality, it is supposed to be really good. I'm really excited about it b/c they've supposedly dramatically improved headphone support giving a pretty good approximation of 5.1 sound with regular headphones. I plan to go for the fatal1ty model also.

I'm looking forward to the headphone support as well. I just got some HD555's and I really wanna hear them with the new X-Fi :D Do you have any idea when the Fatal1ty version is gonna come out? Its been forever.

EDIT:
oo lookie... its on Best Buys site
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7293804&type=product&id=1118841152591

zbiggy
09-13-05, 07:25 PM
We still do not know what x-fi really can do. I read some tests and marketing rumours. Some of things needs explanation or is not so good as could be.

No linux drivers for x-fi now and in close future, Creative refuses to give documentation
nForce2 has 256 2D sounds, x-fi only 128 2D
nForce2 has DirectMusic acceleration, x-fi ???
nForce2 has DLS2 acceleration, x-fi ???
nForce2 has complete audio acceleration in DirectX 8 including HW submixer (in DirectX9 there was no changes audio related), is x-fi acceleration complete or partial???
nForce2 has I3DL2 acceleration, x-fi ???
Hardware MP3 acceleration like in Cirrus Logic's CS4630 chips?

Creative owns Aureal documentation so they could release A3D 2/3 wrapper to x-fi so people could still play favourite older games with better sound than from software A2D.

It is better to wait for any good, detailed tests or better driver. So far these mentioned things let me forget about x-fi and will keep me using nForce2 (mostly because of missing linux support). A great sound card without good windows/linux drivers is nothing.

OWA
09-13-05, 07:27 PM
I'm looking forward to the headphone support as well. I just got some HD555's and I really wanna hear them with the new X-Fi :D Do you have any idea when the Fatal1ty version is gonna come out? Its been forever.

EDIT:
oo lookie... its on Best Buys site
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7293804&type=product&id=1118841152591
Great! Thanks for the link. I've been checking Best Buy on and off locally but hadn't seen the fatal1ty version yet. I was starting to impatient and almost bought the music model this past weekend. Glad I held out. :)

jAkUp
09-13-05, 07:27 PM
Also one thing to keep in mind is there is still currently no x64 drivers. Creative said the x64 drivers will ship mid-late October.

Arto*
09-13-05, 08:27 PM
I heard that the x-fi already came out (not the fatal1ty one) and you can buy it at best buy. and also within the next week or so, the whole line of X-fi's will come out on newegg.

superklye
09-16-05, 12:04 PM
I heard that the x-fi already came out (not the fatal1ty one) and you can buy it at best buy. and also within the next week or so, the whole line of X-fi's will come out on newegg.
I hope that's true. I still can't find them on NewEgg. :(

six_storm
09-16-05, 12:48 PM
I've got one of the original Sound Blaster Audigys from my old Gateway but I can't find drivers for them! Is it going to be that much of an improvement going from Audigy 1 to the X-Fi series? I don't mind buying that stuff later down the road but geez, $300 for a slight improvement is a lil steep for me.

J-Mag
09-16-05, 12:58 PM
I hope that's true. I still can't find them on NewEgg. :(

Yeah, I have been waiting for any e-tailer that accepts paypal before I go in on this.

OWA
09-16-05, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I've seen the low-end music version at Best Buy for at least a couple of weeks now. Hopefully the others will show up soon.

superklye
09-16-05, 01:41 PM
They're on NewEgg! You can't order them yet, but they're down as being available 9/21. w00t!

Veger
09-16-05, 01:44 PM
No, I would wait they are having some serious mobo issues with the Nforce 4 chipset as stated here:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=26289

Not good news and for the price they are asking is, don't they test this technology with the latest gear jeez...

jAkUp
09-16-05, 01:54 PM
Yup, 9/21 is the date on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102189

Maybe the Fatal1ty cards will have the nforce4 fix. Creative is saying you can send the cards in to be fixed.

superklye
09-16-05, 01:58 PM
I read the first four pages and then went to the last and it looks like they got most of it ironed out.

AthlonXP1800
09-16-05, 03:17 PM
I read all the pages, the problems all the nOObs had with X-Fi are non ACPI compliant and Unknown PCI device on nForce 4 motherboard.

I had the same issue with my Audigy card, when I installed both XP SP2 and XP x64 with all the drivers installed and left 2 problems, here was a problem with Audigy card in Device Manager, it told that the card is non ACPI compliant. I realised I must forgetten to enabled ACPI in the BIOS, I checked the BIOS and oddly ACPI is enabled, I thought it must be Audigy driver not installed properly. I reinstalled the Audigy driver and still have the issue, I decided to leave the problem later and sorted out with Unknown PCI device, I thought I missed something to installed driver, modem? no it was installed already, Creative game port? I thought that the one but I checked device manager and Creative game port is listed. I ran out of ideas and tried put in XP SP2 to scan to find the drivers for Unknown PCI device and it didnt any, also tried to scan Internet for drivers and came up none. The last thing on my mind was the motherboard CD, I inserted the CD and scanned, BINGO it found the driver and installed, Unknown PCI device is actually ACPI Controller. Then the Audigy card is finally worked properly. :D

I felt sorry for all the nOObs at Creative forums never thought about ACPI drivers from motherboard CD. But I just like everybody thought ACPI drivers is already installed from XP CD. :lol:

OWA
09-16-05, 03:21 PM
I read the first four pages and then went to the last and it looks like they got most of it ironed out.
I hope so. I was going to jump on the first one I saw at retail but now I'm a little leery to do that.

jAkUp
09-16-05, 03:42 PM
THe ACPI drivers are not included on the nforce drivers?

AthlonXP1800
09-16-05, 03:50 PM
THe ACPI drivers are not included on the nforce drivers?

Yeah I checked and extracted nforce drivers, it not included. I downloaded all the drivers and utilities from ASUS A8N-E download section. I was surprised to found out that ACPI driver wasnt included in drivers but strangely it included in utilities like ASUS AI Booster Utility and Cool&Quiet.

ACPI controller for nForce4 is called "ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY" listed in device manager, these can be found in ACPI driver with INF setup file label ATK2000.inf that wasnt included in nForce 4 drivers.

$n][pErMan
09-17-05, 04:06 PM
I'll buy OEM when the price drops. $270 is way to much for a sound card :(

Vik1dk
09-19-05, 11:58 AM
I just got mine(saturday) and i must say im impressed so far
Going from a A2ZS in didnt expect a big difference, but mp3 and movies sounds a lot better
I was a little disappointed in BF2, until i changed settings to headphones, wow what a diff.
Only issue i have is with ultra high, gives me stange stuttering(~10 sec with, 20 sec without)

Arto*
09-20-05, 01:38 PM
I just got mine(saturday) and i must say im impressed so far
Going from a A2ZS in didnt expect a big difference, but mp3 and movies sounds a lot better
I was a little disappointed in BF2, until i changed settings to headphones, wow what a diff.
Only issue i have is with ultra high, gives me stange stuttering(~10 sec with, 20 sec without)

which x-fi did you get ?? and do you recommend others to buy it??

Vik1dk
09-20-05, 08:02 PM
Xtreme-music Atm the only availble here.
will i recommend it? thats a tough one, some will be satisfied others wont
Lets just say im happy with it ;)