PDA

View Full Version : Best Processor currently?

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:12 PM
I've been out of it for a while, content with my 875p & 2.4c @ 3.0 but its starting to show its age. I tried looking into both companies, AMD and Intel but Im pretty lost here. Things have changed quite a bit since I upgraded.

I know AMD has been kicking ass with their 64 bit CPU's but I've heard that Intel released a new P4 recently thats been looking good too.

Money is no object here so if someone could give me the best two (or perhaps four processors, since Intel and AMD both have dual core solutions) processors out on the market currently.

Basically what im looking for is:
Best AMD Single Core:
Best AMD Dual Core:

Best Intel Single Core:
Best Intel Dual Core:

If someone could simplify it more than that IE who is best overall that would be nice ;). Please dont turn this into a flame war, Once I learn those things above I can make the decision myself. Benchmarking links (up to date) would be appreciated as well, Ive tried searching but like I said im kinda lost here.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 09:16 PM
Best AMD Single Core: AMD FX57
Best AMD Dual Core: AMD X2 4800

As for Intel, to be honost I would not even bother. The 775 CPU's are a huge dissapointment. I would wait for the Pentium M desktop if you wanted Intel.

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:18 PM
Thanks, its much appreciated! What about those 840's? I heard they are pretty good..Also Which of those two AMD processors would be best? Both seem to be about the same price... I mainly play games but i do a lot of video, audio etc encoding too. Lots of large file transfers.

Riptide
09-13-05, 09:22 PM
Best AMD Single Core: AMD FX57
Best AMD Dual Core: AMD X2 4800

As for Intel, to be honost I would not even bother. The 775 CPU's are a huge dissapointment. I would wait for the Pentium M desktop if you wanted Intel.

Sazar
09-13-05, 09:23 PM
Thanks, its much appreciated! What about those 840's? I heard they are pretty good..Also Which of those two AMD processors would be best? Both seem to be about the same price... I mainly play games but i do a lot of video, audio etc encoding too. Lots of large file transfers.

They are not bad but amd still has a more efficient proc and better memory controller implementation (on-die).

Use em side by side and you will notice the difference.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 09:26 PM
Keep in mind that if you went S775, 95% of the boards use DDR2 ram. So you would have to get new ram.

CaptNKILL
09-13-05, 09:27 PM
Id say dual core is probably better. It might not get the highest game benchmark scores right now, but if you do a lot of multitasking it will probably help out a lot. And when games do take advantage of more than one core, they will screeeam :)

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:28 PM
Ah thanks Jackup, I didnt catcht that. Its not really a problem, I was planning on upgrading everything anyway since Im almost positive there arent any AGP boards anymore (and Id rather have the option to SLI anyway). So it looks like almost my whole system is gonna get sold ;)

superklye
09-13-05, 09:29 PM
dual core is great and the FX-57 is awesome, but man, the venice 3000+ OCs like a champ.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 09:31 PM
Well the thing with AMD's is that all the boards use DDR1 memory. AMD is not using DDR2 yet, so your new memory will work great in any board you choose.

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:31 PM
Edit:Im WAY too tired...I just linked to an Opteron lol. Alright sorry for the multiple posts. Thanks to all who helped!

Woops I just re-read you're post. Sorry heh, Im pretty tired right now :p

Riptide
09-13-05, 09:32 PM
OMG two of those would scream. 4 cores. :D

I'd stay away from skt 940 though.

jAkUp
09-13-05, 09:36 PM
So this one right here is the most powerful Dual Core right now?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103551

Woops I just re-read you're post. Sorry heh, Im pretty tired right now :p

Naw, for gaming just go with the 4800+ :)

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:37 PM
Hah yeah I just noticed that..It was an opteron jeeze..Ive been out of the game way too long :D The 4800's use 939 right?

Anyone know if this is the price for one or two of these in the package?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103544

Also I heard some pretty wierd claims that this can run say Doom 3 and encode video at the same time...Now knowing the impact both tasks have on the CPU I find that really hard to beleive....Is this true?

Riptide
09-13-05, 09:51 PM
That is the price for one chip, two cores.

And yes to the last question. True. Though if you are running two applications that are disk intensive at once that extra core won't help that much.

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:53 PM
OH! Jeeze this is my first foray into dual...solutions so sorry heh. Just to confirm, I need only one of those to run "normal"?

Riptide
09-13-05, 09:54 PM
That is what you need. One of them. It comes with two cores. If you bought two of them then you would have four cores. Kapesh?

BTW, please join our folding @ home team if you get that thing running. It would contribute nicely. :)

jAkUp
09-13-05, 09:54 PM
Just one :) It has 2 cores on the CPU.

Actually... you need two of them. One of them you send to me :D :D :D

Dot50Cal
09-13-05, 09:58 PM
Heh ok I think im good now ;) Thats a load off. Thanks guys!!

Strahd
09-16-05, 01:27 PM
Bah you guys and this dual core crap! I picked the FX-57 because all I do is game with my rig and that's the best chip for that. I don't care about ripping CD's or doing anything else while gaming. If I want to rip a CD or do whatever then I can.

I have had my virus scanner go off while playing a game and didn't even know! Don't get me wrong, I do see advantages with it and when games start using the second core (or the physics board comes out) then I'll look at it but I think he should have been asked what he is going to use it for.

For gaming, the FX-57 all the way. If you do anything with video or like doing more then one thing at once then a dual core is more for you. Most software doesn't use the second core yet though.

My 2 cents :)

Riptide
09-16-05, 02:04 PM
I agree w/you Strahd. My experience has been similar. If you have well behaved applications they can run in the background, even when gaming, on a single core processor like the FX and you won't have problems. OTOH, if you run Prime which apparently doesn't like running as a background task then you will have problems without dual core.

But if you really insist on ripping a DVD or whatnot while gaming at the same time then the dual core is fer you. ;)

Kojiro
09-18-05, 11:57 PM
But dual core does help video editing a lot. Because good editing apps like TMPEnc, Virtual Dub, and other open sourced are multithreaded. for Dual Processor board like those old Dual P3 and Athlon MP boards. These apps will definately be much faster when you use dual care. They also have 64-bit version of these apps floating around. More memory allocation = faster encodes at higher resolutions, and higher bit rate.

32-bit Athlon 64 = Athon XP on steriods. 64-bit Athlon 64 = Athlon 64 with no restraint's.

Games on the other han benifit the most from video cards. So a 2.8 celleron D (faster than a first gen P4 rated at same speed) can be an ultimate game system if coupled with 7800GTX and 1GB Ram.