PDA

View Full Version : Vsync & SLI

ascully
09-13-05, 08:31 PM
I thought I would let all the SLi users with flat panel monitors know that Nvidia are working on a new set of drivers that will enable Vsync in all games running in any SLI mode. Thanks to Mike of NVnews for getting my question answered by Nvidia I owe you a pint mate :)

Yes, it's a known issue and we've been working on it. The option to enable Vsync for all games will be provided through a driver update (most likely within the next 30 days or so).

zoomy942
09-13-05, 08:46 PM
thats flippin' awesome! thats one of the reasons i stopped using SLI! weeeee!!

OWA
09-13-05, 11:52 PM
That's really good news. While I'm currently back to using a CRT, when I return to LCD (someday) I'll definitely want to use vsync with most games.

zoomy942
09-14-05, 12:05 AM
yeah. ever since i started using v sync i wont settle for less :)

FD76
09-14-05, 09:18 AM
OMG>. im crying im sooooo happy... i have been emailing every review site that i could think of trying to get help on voicing this issue... i am soo happy.. =)

mrgimble
09-14-05, 09:34 AM
Thats awesome

Dr.Nick
09-14-05, 12:37 PM
Best news I've heard in a while!! Hope they come with them soon

FD76
09-14-05, 01:52 PM
So i can assume that quote was from Nvidia?

ascully
09-14-05, 02:44 PM
Yep right from the horses mouth, I asked Mike at NVnews to email his contact at Nvidia and that was the reply.

L][NK
09-14-05, 03:08 PM
I'd feel soo much more better if there was some sort of an official stamp on this.
Not that i doubt what your saying ascully; it would just be nice if there was some sort of tangable proof to go along with your claims.

saturnotaku
09-14-05, 04:18 PM
[NK']I'd feel soo much more better if there was some sort of an official stamp on this.
Not that i doubt what your saying ascully; it would just be nice if there was some sort of tangable proof to go along with your claims.

So a response provided to the owner of this site (who has had close ties with NVIDIA since the Riva128 days) isn't enough for you?

Hurin
09-14-05, 04:37 PM
I think his point is that we don't have anything from the "owner of the site". . . we merely have someone saying that they received an email from the owner of the site. That's not quite the same thing.

Now, personally, I believe that person. But as it stands, we have at least three degrees of seperation between NVIDIA and this news. So, given this, I don't think it's totally out of line to prefer more evidence before getting our hopes up too far.

Again, I think the news is accurate. But I don't begrudge people some polite skepticism.

H

PikachuMan
09-14-05, 04:38 PM
So a response provided to the owner of this site (who has had close ties with NVIDIA since the Riva128 days) isn't enough for you?

I'm with L][NK on this, but it seems we're getting this information from a "third-hand" source. Something official would be nice, no offense meant to "ascully".

L][NK
09-14-05, 05:54 PM
Thank you,
I suppose i could've been a bit more clear in my post. It would just be nice to have even a nod from nVidia or even Mike (Site host).
So far nVidia hasn't even mentioned such things on their website or in any sort of a news confrence. I mean, if Mike's contact believed it was okay enough for him to reply back with an e-mail atleast acknowledging the issue then why not have something posted on their official forms?
I've yet to read an official form post regarding the Vsync Issue. What strikes me even more is that I've yet to even read a REVIEW stating the vSync issue in detail (please correct me if i'm wrong on the review thing. I've ready 3dGuru and Tom's Hardware so far)
Ever since my Voodoo 2 I've been a huge nVidia fan, but recently due to the SLi issues and lack of official acknowledgement has somewhat troubled my trust in the company.

OWA
09-14-05, 05:56 PM
What kind of SLI issues?

L][NK
09-14-05, 06:08 PM
What kind of SLI issues?
VSync in SLi, Some users report It works in SFR on certain games, but dosent work in AFR.
SLi unable to properly function on most Wide Screen LCD's.
Sudden Crashes / Desktop or System Shutdown on certain SLi setups (altough i dont think SLi is to be blamed entirely for this issue, a few users have reported this to be a power supply issue) etc etc.

OWA
09-14-05, 06:15 PM
Okay, I knew about vsync not working in some games but didn't know of any other issues. That was why I asked.

L][NK
09-14-05, 06:48 PM
np ^^
Always happy to share what i know.

OWA
09-14-05, 07:54 PM
If you're considering SLI, I wouldn't hesitate unless you do have a widescreen LCD or use LCDs as your main screen (since I don't, you'd need to get someone else to check to make sure it'll work with what you have). I haven't seen many mention stability issues here and I think as long as you make sure you use approved power supplies I think you'll be fine. Like you said, sometimes it's hard to tell where the issue really lies. It took me almost 2 weeks to get my system stable but it ended up being my fault (and wasn't related to SLI). Once I eliminated the user error :) it has been rock-solid. I was really blown away. I hadn't jumped on the bandwagon b/c I was a little worried about noise and having to deal with extra issues but so far it has been a very pleasant surprise. As far as noise, my 2 7800GTXs make less noise than my single 6800U and that was pretty shocking. Of course, I'm using a CRT so the vsync issue isn't really a big deal to me yet. At some point I'd like to get a 20+ inch LCD though (my current one is limited to 1280x1024) so I'm hoping the vsync issue gets taken of. Plus, I know there are some SLI users here now that are using LCDs and I'm sure they'd appreciate it sooner rather than later.

Heh, almost a testimonial. :)

L][NK
09-15-05, 06:23 AM
hehe.
Yup your right, through reading a mass amount of forms (Slow day at work lol) I've narrowed it down to most of the SLi issues being visible on DVI-I / DVI-D. I'll test this theory out myself over the weekend, I've asked a friend to bring me his LCD which supports both DVI and Analog Connections. I'll post more on that soon ^^.
Even if i turn out to be correct, i suppose it really dosen't help anyone. It would still be nice to have a proper driver fix. I wonder if any of the 3rd party driver modifiers are working on this? Would be pretty sad if the community came out with a fix before nVidia did.

OWA
09-15-05, 11:17 AM
[NK']hehe.
Yup your right, through reading a mass amount of forms (Slow day at work lol) I've narrowed it down to most of the SLi issues being visible on DVI-I / DVI-D. I'll test this theory out myself over the weekend, I've asked a friend to bring me his LCD which supports both DVI and Analog Connections. I'll post more on that soon ^^.
Even if i turn out to be correct, i suppose it really dosen't help anyone. It would still be nice to have a proper driver fix. I wonder if any of the 3rd party driver modifiers are working on this? Would be pretty sad if the community came out with a fix before nVidia did.
Oh, so you already have a SLI system? You kind of made it sound like you didn't have one because everything has been phrased like.... what I've been reading or I've seen this or that issue mentioned etc. or it may be this or that that is causing a problem, etc. So basically, you have a SLI system and don't have any issues but you're just concerned over some of the issues others have been saying they have? Okay, I think I've got it straight now. :)

Edit: Also, so I don't mislead anyone with my earlier comments about not being worried about vsync for now since I'm using a CRT, I'm pretty sure the vsync issue can affect CRT users as well. What I meant, was that the tearing isn't as big a deal on a CRT as it is on the LCD. But, if someone didn't know about the vsync issue, they could be having problems and not know why. I'll have to check them again but in games that don't work with vsync, when I tried to force it on, unexpected things would happen. I believe it would mainly lock but I'll have to try that again with the drivers I'm using now to confirm and just to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid. :)

ascully
09-15-05, 02:52 PM
I just fired a email off to Mike Chambers hopefully he will post in this thread to confirm I am telling you guys the truth :)

FD76
09-15-05, 05:26 PM
man.. it is good times (finally) if these drivers come out soon... with hdr and aa being possilbe in HL2.. and getting vsync fixed.. omg.. dreams come true. .

dandano
09-15-05, 06:04 PM
I guess I am the worst case SLI users, a widescreen dvi monitor. Things are somewhat better with recent drivers, but I still get this flickering/major offset issue when I am on the desktop with a window on the right side of the monitor. Games are fine, even if there isnt any v-sync. Hoping next driver fixes this.

danh

MikeC
09-15-05, 06:09 PM
I just fired a email off to Mike Chambers hopefully he will post in this thread to confirm I am telling you guys the truth :)

Yes, you are telling the truth. NVIDIA will be providing an option to enable vsync with SLI.

A number of new SLI-related features will be rolled out in the Release 80 drivers. I am following up with NVIDIA to find out what information, in regards to the Release 80 drivers, are under NDA.