PDA

View Full Version : Weird Lock ups when windows shuts off monitor

thor1182
09-14-05, 10:27 AM
I originally posed this problem in the CPU section thinking it was because of me changing my CPU to an X2 without reinstalling windows, but I don't think it was related to the CPU at all.

Ok so I had my computer set to run a screen saver for awhile, and after and hour or 2 it would shut off the monitor. When I came back to the computer 2D apps would work just fine, but 3D apps would hang the computer. When I was playing around trying to trouble shoot the issue I tried running gpuburn to see if the 3D system would work when I pulled the computer out of “sleep”. In minimized mode it would work fine, but as soon as I tried to maximize it, it would close giving “not enough GPU memory” error.

I tried several things like switching to a different screensaver, turning off the screen saver and so on. What I have narrowed the problem down to is the action of shutting the monitor off. When I don’t let it turn the monitor off, it works just fine. I don’t know if this is a SLi issue, or an issues with the current driver set, but it is annoying.

OWA
09-14-05, 11:18 AM
Okay, I'm probably going to be annoying if you've already done this since I've been posting this same thing in a lot of threads (ad nauseam). Double-check to make sure you've installed the X2 drivers.

thor1182
09-14-05, 11:35 AM
Yep, got the correct X2 Cool 'n Quiet drivers on there.

The more I play with it, the more I think its not CPU related at all, but completly GPU/SLi related. I'm not sure how the correct CPU drovers would effect the GPU memory subsystem when the computer turns the graphics system on and off.

OWA
09-14-05, 01:15 PM
Is the cool-n-quiet driver the same as the CPU driver? I didn't think it was since I wasn't even trying to use cool-n-quiet -- had it disabled in the bios, etc. but from the description on the AMD website, it kind of sounds like they could be the same thing. Oh well, I guess I'll get it all straight at some point. :)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

PSYCHODAD
09-14-05, 01:33 PM
Have you checked your event log to see what error message is there?

I have the same problem after my system goes on standby. I also get a script read error message in the user section of the control panel after system goes on standby(not before though).

TierMann
09-14-05, 03:03 PM
Is the cool-n-quiet driver the same as the CPU driver? I didn't think it was since I wasn't even trying to use cool-n-quiet -- had it disabled in the bios, etc. but from the description on the AMD website, it kind of sounds like they could be the same thing. Oh well, I guess I'll get it all straight at some point. :)

The drivers are one and the same.
You'll notice that it adds /usepmtimer in your boot.ini. This is to keep the sysytem from trying to use the core frequency as a timer because it's always changing with CnQ enabled. That's why people were getting playback speed, clock and animation issues without the latest driver installed or /usepmtimer enabled.

Which screensaver are you using, btw? Maybe it's not freeing up something it should.

thor1182
09-14-05, 05:25 PM
its a Halo screensaver, but I doubt thats it becuase it works just fone on my laptop.

TierMann
09-14-05, 08:44 PM
Give it a shot though, for fun :P

marsboer2k
09-17-05, 11:28 AM
I have discussed the solution to the same problem here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=7713

Short version:
I found the problem to be related to SLI and DVI

Temporarily solution:
Use analog instead of DVI

Best solution (but I know it's not logical):
Use DVI, but install coolbits2.reg every time you install the forceware drivers. (Don't need to actually use any of the new settings. Just installing it is enough to fix the problem)

Fixed both my DVI problems :)